ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Camera choices
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Photos, Literature, Art, Websites Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
thesuperstitions

PostPosted: 5/6/2007, 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I bought a Samsung and will NEVER own one again!!!!!! Horrible zoom.
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 5/6/2007, 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Well I did call that store today, waited on hold for 11 minutes before speaking with someone, finally got a hold of someone and they said both camera's I was looking at were in stock, they said they would ship in 1-2 days if bought. Then I started to inquire about there horrible seller rating of .31 out of 10 on 68 reviews in the last 6 months. The guy had no idea why they were so bad and a few seconds later got disconnected. Didn't even get to inquire as to whether they are re-conditioned or not. Whether it was coincidence or a sign that I got disconnected who knows. Guess I'll keep looking.
JW
I'll make rain with my spaceman powers!

PostPosted: 5/6/2007, 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

BoyNhisDog wrote:
SLR=Single Lens Reflex, a type of camera where you use an optical viewfinder that looks through the actual glass (using a prism) that is going to focus the image to the film/sensor. Before that the Rangefinder was highly popular with photographers shooting 35mm film for quality work. ..often called DSLR now, has a physically bigger sensor than P&S cameras.
Hey Glen, have you done any hi-brid types lately? A long time ago, I put an SLR in front of a Land frame to get quick exposure feedback. Is anybody using a SLR in front of a digital? You guys may get me back to photography, yet!

Since my house burned down, I now own a better view of the rising moon. - Masahide.
Matt Hoffman

PostPosted: 5/6/2007, 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

JW wrote:
Is anybody using a SLR in front of a digital?

I'm curious what you mean by this?
Matt Hoffman

PostPosted: 5/6/2007, 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Davis2001R6 wrote:
as well as a new Casio EX-Z60 (Which I hate). Having had 2 canons previously they took amazing pictures and I was very pleased with them.

thesuperstitions wrote:
I bought a Samsung and will NEVER own one again!!!!!! Horrible zoom.

OK! You guys win! Canon it is! Just proves my point that there is a bad review for almost every camera (even Canons).
I've never owned a point-and-shoot so I should probably keep my mouth shut. I did buy my girlfriend a Casio EX-Z700 and it is awesome! The only thing that stinks about it is the software it comes with, but that is a minor complaint. I'm thinking about buying a point-and-shoot for myself to take mtn biking, so I'll probably be doing a lot of research real soon.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 5/7/2007, 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I just jumped in, so haven't read the whole thread. I have a Sony Cybershot. 6.0 MP. Advantages are: various settings from eshare on up, plus it will fit in my pocket. Disadvantages are: there is no viewfinder, just the screen, (so you can't see what you're aiming at when it's really sunny, and also the zoom photos are not very sharp. I like it because of its size and convenience, am not too picky. If I become picky I will have to get an SLR or something.
BoyNhisDog
The dangerous place where the winds meet

PostPosted: 5/12/2007, 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

JW wrote:
Hey Glen, have you done any hi-brid types lately? A long time ago, I put an SLR in front of a Land frame to get quick exposure feedback. Is anybody using a SLR in front of a digital? You guys may get me back to photography, yet!

Hey Jim, I am late answering this as we just got in late last eve from a trip that took us through two wilderness areas so remote that we did not see one other soul, a couple of stunning BLM areas that also seem to be largely ignored and a super national forest where very few ventured as well. We even went through Ellen Melloy's place of living briefly. Did a lot of photo work and have 800 to 900 images to process. May is so amazing up there.

I have not done any hybrid as you speak of but I would encourage you to get a Canon XTi and a Canon 10-22 lens if you want to start into digital work. You can do it for just under 1400 bucks with those two pieces and they are super. My company just got an XTi for the airplane, an upgrade from the 300D for digital work in between mapping projects. It is a light weight DSLR with a very sparkling performance. The lens is unmatched in performance in my opinion. You can do pretty much anything in landscape, full length portraits and closeups (but not macro, you would need another lens for that) with it and the lens I suggest. If I want to do headshots, I take an 85mm as well and that just about covers anything I need to do. For long walks I just take the 10-22 though.
JW
I'll make rain with my spaceman powers!

PostPosted: 5/12/2007, 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Oops, sorry, Y'all I didn't mean to hijack.

Ha-ha! Thanks, buddy, the lottery is a decision-maker at this end! I want to do another Badlands trek before this year ends and I want to do some serious recording of those places. Thanks again and thanks for always getting back.

What is the condition of Ellen's place? Pmail me whenever.

BoyNhisDog wrote:
JW wrote:

Hey Jim, I am late answering this as we just got in late last eve from a trip that took us through two wilderness areas so remote that we did not see one other soul, a couple of stunning BLM areas that also seem to be largely ignored and a super national forest where very few ventured as well. We even went through Ellen Melloy's place of living briefly. Did a lot of photo work and have 800 to 900 images to process. May is so amazing up there.

I have not done any hybrid as you speak of but I would encourage you to get a Canon XTi and a Canon 10-22 lens if you want to start into digital work. You can do it for just under 1400 bucks with those two pieces and they are super. My company just got an XTi for the airplane, an upgrade from the 300D for digital work in between mapping projects. It is a light weight DSLR with a very sparkling performance. The lens is unmatched in performance in my opinion. You can do pretty much anything in landscape, full length portraits and closeups (but not macro, you would need another lens for that) with it and the lens I suggest. If I want to do headshots, I take an 85mm as well and that just about covers anything I need to do. For long walks I just take the 10-22 though.

Since my house burned down, I now own a better view of the rising moon. - Masahide.
evenstar

PostPosted: 6/2/2007, 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

July Consumer Reports has ratings on 71 digital cameras from pocket size to SLR's.
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
maryphyl
Grand Canyon Enchantress

PostPosted: 6/2/2007, 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Camera choices Reply to topic Reply with quote

Al_HikesAZ wrote:
GeorgAz wrote:
Ok, all...Give me some of your picks for a new digital camera for less than $300.00. What are the features I should look for ??

A lot depends on what hiking you do. I chose the Pentax W20. 7mp 3xoptical zoom. It is lightweight, fits in my pocket and most importantly it is waterproof, dustproof and has image stabilization. A friend was very careful on a water hike but still toasted his dSLR because of moisture from his hands.

Canon and Nikon make excellent cameras. Pentax is very comparable in image quality. I have a Canon Rebel XT, but it doesn't go on many hikes. I agree with Ken on optical zoom - Digital zoom is not worth it.

I too have this camera. I think it weighs 6 oz--I like it. A friend had one on one of last year's river trips and she kept iit n an outside pocket on her life jacket--she did not have to dig around in a camera bag to get it out and her pics were nice so I bought one. mp
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 6/3/2007, 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

This reminds me I am going to get a Kodak waterproof disposable for the West Fork Wade! They take a decent snapshot with good colors, and you can get a CD when you send them for processing. No sense ruining my new Christmas present camera!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Photos, Literature, Art, Websites All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: