ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Leg packs???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Photos, Literature, Art, Websites Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
RedRoxx44
Queen of the Walkabout

PostPosted: 5/30/2007, 5:17 am    Post subject: Leg packs??? Reply to topic Reply with quote

For those of you who don't have enough storage or like "different" stuff, check out this website---

http://www.summitequipment.com/
Daryl

PostPosted: 5/30/2007, 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Interesting concept. I love the idea of being able to access everything without taking off the pack. With a camelbak for water you could easily do day hikes with these (if you are not a kitchen sink type packer).

I wonder if they are big enough for an SLR lens?

I also wonder if the 100 oz load limit is per side, or total.

I may give them a call.
The dangerous place where the winds meet

PostPosted: 5/30/2007, 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I think some of them are plenty big enough for certain lenses. I am not so sure I would like that weight clamped to my leg, heat wise or weight swinging constantly with the thighs???? Don't know.
azhiker96

PostPosted: 5/30/2007, 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I agree. I've sometimes carried items in the side pockets of cargo pants and found it annoying. This wouldn't be efficient energywise either. Our torsos travel at about a constant speed when we're hiking. Our legs are constantly accellerating and deccellerating. A regular pack or waist belt coasts along at our speed. These leg bags would have to be accellerated and stopped every step. That takes a lot more energy. It would be great though if you wanted to lose weight, like wearing ankle weights just higher and heavier. Sad
threedogz

PostPosted: 5/30/2007, 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Is that a Zoom lens in your leg bag or are you glad to see me...
Wreckchaser

PostPosted: 5/30/2007, 4:58 pm    Post subject: Leg Pouches Reply to topic Reply with quote

I have used several different type of leg pouches and a drop leg pistol holster and like getting the weight off of my hips. I have never had any problems hiking with these pouches on my legs. The pouch that I have used is a BlackHawk gas mask pouch, but it will hold Pelican spot light, so it is a very large pouch.

This is military/police gear and it is heavy duty, but it does work very well for just carrying things. I also like to have things handy without having to take off my pack and almost every pack that I own has pouches added on to it. The only problem is that the pouches do add weight to the pack. The link below is for the gas mask pouch.

http://www.blackhawk.com/product1.asp?P=56GM00
IGO

PostPosted: 5/30/2007, 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

If it ain't a zoom lens I'd be workin' a different park of Las Vegas....... Rolling Eyes
"Surely all God's people, however serious or savage, great or small, like to play. Whales and elephants, dancing, humming gnats, and invisibly small mischievous microbes - all are warm with divine radium and must have lots of fun in them." John Muir
Nighthiker

PostPosted: 5/30/2007, 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Though earth tone colrs quite pricey. My WWII USMC pack had a large pouch that attached to the web belt and it had staps that went around the thigh. The pouch was three compartments and it contained first aid kit (bottom compartment), survival kit (middle compartment), trail snacks (top compartment. Pack is retire and hangs on the wall. My current issue USMC main pack is huge and it also has a detachable patrol pack. I field tested a Black Hawk model but I had to rearrange and relocate some gear to place in the leg pack I really don't need the extra compartments.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Photos, Literature, Art, Websites All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: