ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Chiricahua Crest Trail Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Questions & Suggestions Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Melissa

PostPosted: 5/24/2007, 12:35 pm    Post subject: Chiricahua Crest Trail Question Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hi,
I wondered if anyone has been on the Crest trail in the Chiricahuas in the last month. Primarily, is there any reliable water source on this trail? We are entering from the Rustler Park area. Thanks for your help.
Melissa
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 5/24/2007, 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Ive not been this year but have been there later in the year last year and it was available in the named springs. Suggest a call to the Forest Service. Take a filter, the springs can be skanky.
Melissa

PostPosted: 5/24/2007, 4:08 pm    Post subject: Thanks Shawn. Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. I will definitely call the Ranger's office and we always take a filter - mmm skanky water, my favorite. Smile I was hoping to keep my pack under 30 lbs and you know how that water can pack on the weight. Thanks again.

Melissa
Wreckchaser

PostPosted: 5/24/2007, 4:32 pm    Post subject: Chiricahua Crest Trail Reply to topic Reply with quote

I will be on the Crest Trail this weekend. There is a good spring just south of Rustlers Park and there should be some water at the park. There are also several springs on the trail as you head south.
gpsjoe

PostPosted: 5/24/2007, 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I believe the Rustler Park water source is contaminated and the water source is shut off. I don't think they have fixed that yet. So, bring a lot of water in your car for camping there, if that's what you want to do.

Can't comment on the other springs but about 1/2 mile easy hike down the Greenhouse trail there is a large cabin there for use by Park rangers. There was plenty of water in Cima creek when I was last there, but I couldn't guarantee that (I would guess there is clean looking water there).

But verify everything with the Ranger so you have up to date info.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Questions & Suggestions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: