ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Highline Trail Maintenance

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 4/22/2007, 6:41 pm    Post subject: Highline Trail Maintenance Reply to topic Reply with quote

Volunteers for Outdoor Arizona spent the weekend reconstructing about a thousand feet of the Highline Trail at Camp Geronimo. I did the whole Highline Trail in the late '90's and remember this section being a real plunge. Now it's nicely switchbacked, sloped and graded. If you think you are "one with the trail" I invite you to spend a day with about 30 feet of one. I pass over a trail and never give much thought to how it came to be there, this is how. A weekend with shovels, pick-mattocks, McClouds, buckets, and rock slings all make for good exercise and a real sense of accomplishment. A crew of six of us rebuilt a switch back in heavy sticky clay soil, laid in rock, and sloped the trail in and out of it. If anyone is interested, search Google for "VOAZ." It's a real community, the food (provided) is great and the events are very well organized.

My next adventure is building elk exclosures near Mormon Lake the weekend of May 19-21. If anyone is interested in coming along, let me know.
IGO

PostPosted: 4/22/2007, 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Good for you Shawn. I have log upon log of trail reconstructs in the Hualapias. I still rebuild water bars and prop rock when I am able without shovel up on Charleston. I think everybody who walks serious trails, especially those traversing remote areas should read a trail construction tecnique manual and toss in when they are able and see the need. Funny, when one becomes aware, they seem to be compelled when coming across a serious need. It's a good thing. It's as important as picking up trash or not cutting switch backs.
How many realize there is a lot of rather advanced consideration that goes into choosing a trail route and keeping the trail maintained. How many are aware that many many trails are ONLY maintain by people just like you are I? I used to be more involved. I think I'll start paying closer attention again.
"Surely all God's people, however serious or savage, great or small, like to play. Whales and elephants, dancing, humming gnats, and invisibly small mischievous microbes - all are warm with divine radium and must have lots of fun in them." John Muir
Nighthiker

PostPosted: 4/22/2007, 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Shawn and crew, thank you.
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 4/22/2007, 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I looked at the upcoming calendar of events with VOAZ, have plans for each of the weekends up to the July Date. If they come up with a June plan that may be a possibility.
fairweather8588

PostPosted: 4/22/2007, 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Saw the signs for the VOAZ, too bad we didn't make it that far on our attempted through hike. Had to ditch out at Washington Park, after slugging through some of the worst conditioned trail I've ever been on. Horses just chewed up the trail in some areas. Horses+Mud=No bueno

Kerouac
maryphyl
Grand Canyon Enchantress

PostPosted: 4/23/2007, 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Ya done good buddy--mp
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: