ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
From the Caviing Diaries
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
wanderingsoul

PostPosted: 1/3/2007, 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Letty you certainly do what you like and it is amazing. I could never go caving as you do, be claustraphobic for me. Large open caverns maybe, but not tight places. But I enjoy your tales and pictures. Something I don't think I'll ever experience.

Positive Thinking Is the Spark that Makes Dreams Happen~~~Unknown
RedRoxx44
Queen of the Walkabout

PostPosted: 3/19/2007, 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Gliding in the dark I slip over the smooth damp flowstone, my light giving a caution as to the dark drop below. No matter, good handholds here; I finish the traverse with no issues. Been here several times. The climbing seems always different. Magnificence is around every corner, on your belly to crawl, then suddenly stand to a vaulting ceiling sparking with diamonds, the stalactites tipped with a single droplet of water.
The pool is clear if a little low, but a lone intermittant drop makes a beautiful ring magnified many times as it spreads out in the stillness. I time my camera and catch the little droplet making a big impact. It is so lovely.
Our caving grotto has hosted the NSS (national speleological society's) board of governors meeting. The president and cavers from all over decending on Tucson. I had two lady cavers staying with me, from back east. Very experienced, one is a cave diver who regales me with stories of the crystal waters of the Yucatan.
It's nice to meet the others. We are leading those interested in this Sunday caving expedition, to see the sights. It is humbling when you have someone who has caved for 30 years say "What a great and wonderful cave this is!!"

I make some new friends. I have place to stay and base hike, cave out of Colorado now. Cave Diving??? Hmmmmm--lots of fatalities in that section but man some of the places they see---

The cave's spectacular show continues. The visitors gape and gasp. It is wonderful and beautiful and so nice to see it so appreciated. The formations are huge and yet so intimate. I love it when we have some geologists with us to explain what has happened to this limestone. Why it does things that boggle the mind.
The dry explanations can't explain the feeling of whimsical fantasy I feel here. Formations grow crazily against gravity, against common sense. Our lights can't begin to uncover all the secrets here. I feel I could live here and never see it all.

I find the demanding physical work in here such a juxtaposition to the delicacies in this cave. So fragile, I am careful in places to keep to the path. We slide into a small room, on your side one arm up over your head, one arm down and helmet off. It's tight. I feel the cradle and the womb, and I'm comforted. Once in the large rooms, I lead two other women cavers to see the sights. And what tremendously beautiful sights they are. This cave keeps its best treasures locked away, only a few will see. Lots of flashes of the cameras. We will leave and the cave will sleep, but grow, with the water and the minerals working away.

We make the long loop, then rewalk part of the route to see the " Roman baths", a special place. It's demanding with a long handline, partial rappel at the end, then comes more climbing about, to the largest decorated pool in the cave. The climb out takes some work. I am pleased my endurance is getting greater for this, I don't tire as much. The visitors are tired but pleased. We come out the cave to our parking area, sit, drink, eat and chat in the wonderful balmy weather, and I am so contented I wish I could bottle this feeling. I've met strangers that are now friends. The caving world is wonderful that way.
BoyNhisDog
The dangerous place where the winds meet

PostPosted: 3/20/2007, 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

More golden adventure. The images you captured are some of the best yet. The single drop is so poetic, just a few more molecules born to sculpture on the way and then the striking drop into the pool.

I know what you mean when you wish you could bottle certain feelings.
RedRoxx44
Queen of the Walkabout

PostPosted: 6/24/2007, 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

The wild caves, there is really nothing like them. They are hard but worthy. It's hot,hot,hot, but underground where we go it's cool and humid, filled with magic and mystery, pools of water and kingdoms of rocks of all fantasies.

Brian looks at my pack--"what have you got in there" he quickly unpacks, scrutinzes everything. We must go super light for this cave, it is long and demanding, like an "intramural event of crawling, walking, climbing, and trying to stay dry". I only have a digital SLR and he says "absolutely not, too bulky and it'll get ruined." It's like cutting off my arm but the camera stays in the vehicle. He decides we take one pack between us, some snack bars, first aid, handline, two bottles of water, a thin set of summer weight pants and top in case one of us falls in the cold water, and that is it. He rolls down the pack very small, and away we go.

As far as caving goes this will be a long trip; almost 9 miles underground RT. A lot to cover considering you'll be crawling and climbing some of it. We descend the entrance and immediately squeeze thru some tight stuff. I have spare batteries in my pants pocket and a spare light around my neck. I take the pack, shoving or dragging it, for this first part. The cave starts to open a little and look like a low subway. This is a stream passage cave, and the work of water is everywhere. It's dry for a short distance then a small trough of water appears, easily stemmed over. Floating white crystal like flowers are called calcite rafts, indicating no water has flowed in here for a while, or no rains. Some boulders have fallen in the enlarged passage we have to get around. We come to a shelf with a hole in the floor dropping away far to the floor below, we go to a crack and here is a 40 foot downclimb in a chimney. I as usual whine about it, we rig a seat harness out of a short Prussik I have and connect it to my handline, Brian will belay me in case I slip. It really is terrifying you lower yourself by your arms with not much for your feet, walk with your upper body into the crack and get to a small ledge below. Then brace yourself between the walls and try to perform controlled slipping. The crack width is awkward for me almost too wide and I cannot manuever my body well. I finally get down there and watch the master shimmy down with little effort and in no time.
The cave is getting some serious height now and at times showing some formations, pure white and so delicate, above the flood plain. Suddenly the walls will dip in; the ceiling lower and its hand and knees, hooray for knee pads and gloves. Brian has the pack and slings it like a kangaroo pouch. We motor on. The game is to stay dry. We soon encounter some deep pools and you tiptoe along ledges crouched over, or stretch out feet on one side and arms on the other. We come to an area of multiple layered rocks and pools, and squirm on our bellies at times extending our bodies out over crystalline waters of unknowable depth till we bridge to the other side. I bemoan my lack of camera. Such beauty. The floor is swirled and embedded with wonderful stone in concert with rushing waters. This is the driest Brian has seen this cave. We pass an area that is sometimes sumped, no problem today. Some of the formations are eyelevel as you march along, some up high and unreachable. Some huge totem poles. Wonderful multicolored curtains.
A couple of climbing problems Brian helps me with and we come to some huge breakdown. The way thru is straight up, squirm thru a couple of cracks then down to the "big room" soon after this the cave ends in a terminal sump, so far back bringing in scuba gear would be nigh impossible with the tight passage in spots. We rest, eat, drink. I am bonking big time, I lay back as Brian checks the sump. No go, too high.
We start back, I am really dragging. I haven't drunk enough water, and start to remedy that. We see sights we missed on the way in. Some of the rock is jet and glistening black, like giant Apache tears. The floor again amazes, with graceful potholes and shelves laced with cuts and slashes of water, making the rock seem so graceful and smooth.
We are working pretty hard and I am hot, steam rolling off, I resent all the climbs and all the crawls. The cave now seems interminable. My partner wisely leaves me alone with my thoughts. I stay to myself awhile, then recover a sense of special wonderment, grateful I can be here with my special friend, and share all that it entails, the good, the bad and the ugly.
Too soon back at the chimney, Brian climbs quickly, grunting some at the top, then lowers my safety, I climb, I am so tired I wedge myself in a little hole the wrong way and have to rotate my body about 30 feet up. He has a good hold on me as he can sense I am tired and not too with it at the moment. I make it up, and we make the final trek out to twilight.
Later, after dinner, I thank him. For a trip to the most beautiful cave I have seen, to sharing it with someone who sees that beauty and wonder, and the challenge of it all. Then I wink at him and say--"next time I bring the camera."
Suz

PostPosted: 6/24/2007, 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Very Happy
Alright Letty, sounds amazing----I might have to get myself a little time underground.
RedRoxx44
Queen of the Walkabout

PostPosted: 7/9/2007, 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Two days of some pretty hard caving. One cave we had to dig open, push passage, to come to a drop off. Go get the rope, drop the pit, then on to dig into another passage to open it up. It was cold and wet and as the passage very small I was the one doing most of the digging with a small shovel. Got cold, got hypothermic, so we ascended the drop ( about 50 feet some free hanging) and got out of there. Even with high temps took me about 15 minutes to warm up. Just didn't have enough clothing on.
Next day went in 2nd cave, hauling a wetsuit. Brian is one of the ones who "discovered" this cave with a small team. There are a lot of small crawls, on your stomach, pushing your pack ahead of you, and pulling with your arms. At times head turned sideways so tight. Opened to a large nice room, then to a drop off of about 40 feet, we took a detour here as we brought no ropes. A fun shimmy down a rock to a crack just about 10 inches from the drop off.

Now the cave is more like a stream passage, with some water flowing. The walls come down with large joints or cracks and you can walk upright, but in a small space for your head and shoulders, about 1-3 feet off the ground the passage is cut widely by the cobbled stream.

At the last place to stand changed into wetsuits, with a polypro under, and neoprene socks. We have to crawl/ swim a sump with a usually small airspace for about 25 feet. The water is low, usually you have to submerge yourself to get in then pop up and follow the air pockets. We had good air the entire way. Way cold water tho.
Past the sump kept wetsuits on and kept moving. The back part of the cave shielded it's beautiful white glistening formations, with the crystal clear stream. I took a lot of pics here and Brian took one of me in my wetsuit with a wool hat on my head. Very fashionable. It was spectacular but got cold again because we were not moving. We came back, past the sump, then picked up our main packs and rolled out of there. Amazing how quick the return trip was. I was warmed up by the time we got out. The entrance was tricky because thousands of mosquitos were bedded down in the shade and coolness and we disturbed them going by. No bites tho---they seemed confused.
We were just hugely muddy so hung the solar shower and became almost decent.

Best way to beat the heat--underground!!!
kurthzone
Thread Killer

PostPosted: 7/9/2007, 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

RedRoxx44 wrote:

Best way to beat the heat--underground!!!

I'll stick to pools and showers thanks.

Letty you amaze me! Are you going to post those pics?
RedRoxx44
Queen of the Walkabout

PostPosted: 1/29/2008, 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

A while has gone by since I have been in a cave. It seems too much life to live sometimes. I missed it and complained to Brian about it, so he took me to a desert cave he and several others discovered about 15 years ago.
It was so nice to slide down into the dark and see the familiar drapes and stalactites and stalagmites. The cave was cool and slightly humid. Sitting still the dripping of the water making it's way underground came from all directions.
Down and down we went. At one point a short tight belly crawl to another section of cave.
Some nice decorations, a little different, slightly "corrugated" and colorful. The cave has some length to it but kinda wraps on itself. My headlamp went out, and Brian had my spare so we got out using it and a bright LED flashlight I got from the 99 cent store!!! The thing has 9 leds and is brighter than most headlamps. Gotta get about 5 more I think.
It was a leisurely day and a nice hike too. I feel better getting my caving "fix", of course just want more!!
Arizonaheat
Got Supes Juice?

PostPosted: 1/30/2008, 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

always enjoy the caving pics. Very Happy
RedRoxx44
Queen of the Walkabout

PostPosted: 6/8/2008, 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Drip, drip, drip. The cave exudes water in droplets from everywhere. I stand at the bottom of a chute looking up about 30 feet at a hole, and the droplets fall like silvered bullets.
Brian and I had downclimbed a crack, me belayed of course. It was wet and a little slimy to start off. We had to dig out the entrance, overjoyed to find the way open and intact. I had brought a DSLR and a small point and shoot, as my primary goal was to try and capture photographically this beautiful cave. The DSLR didn't perform as I had hoped, so the point and shoot saved the day.
The cave is very physical, a lot of downclimbing, chimneying, stemming, mainly over crystal clear cold pools. The depth is deceiving. The floods had cleared out a lot of cobbles from the floors of the pools, now were smooth rock. We knew we were going to be stymied by a sump near the front third of the cave, so we just rambled around, poking into this and that crack. Marveling over how clean the rocks in the cave were, and in some of the crawling parts noting pine needles jammed into the ceiling.

My first time in this cave, Brian really pushed me, because the cave was so long. I bonked big time at the end, crawling out and laying on dirt by the entrance so exhausted I couldn't think straight. So no pictures. I wanted to return and although the best part of the cave lay beyond my reach, I so enjoyed the return.
Nothing smells like a cave, that earthy deep dark smell. Delights small and large, the joy of travel of a four footed nature at times, the way the rock and passages contort, the difficulty in reading the cave. This is second nature to Brian, who waltzes off and leaves me at times. He says it is good for me to learn the ways of the cave for myself. We journey up a passage I haven't seen, and the colors reveal red flowstone, mixed with whites and browns, at times reminescent of rings in a tree trunk. And the black shiny rocks, so smooth and large, battered by eons by waters of this passage.

Time passes oddly in a cave. It's always dark; you have no sun reference. It seems you have traveled far, when you have traveled little, and most of it at odd angles. You have to look over the passage thoroughly, so you miss nothing, the odd colored stalagmite there, the mesh of angles, a simple pool with a single layer of rimstone, and subterrainean fringing seen clearly in the clean water.

It is so beautiful.

The next day we do some work, and go by some sinks, looking for other and more caves. Brian takes me to one he has not been to in a while, and he doesn't feel like going in. "You can't get lost" he tells me. In I go. I tiptoe across breakdown peaking down about 20 feet. At the wall of the first room I climb down a little then take a tight passage. Have to lay on my side and squirm thru a few feet. Very muddy. I come to a room with a tall ceiling, take a right hand passage. Soon I am crawling in a tube on my stomach, head turned to side, pushing my fanny pack ahead of me. I pop out into another room. I look it over, realize I am not where I am supposed to be, and retrace my steps. It's like a maze and I am having fun looking at everything. I decide I am tired of the mud and come on out. Brian looks at me askance--he had said the cave was not muddy. He had me describe where I was and decided I was in an area unknown to him.
It was fun but more like exercise in keeping track of where I was and not following someone, new for me in a cave scenario.

We are both in a good tired mode. Soon to head home and plan more trips to come. Good to be back underground with my caving partner. Very, very good, to be back in the darkland.
kurthzone
Thread Killer

PostPosted: 6/8/2008, 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Excellent on the solo Letty!
RedRoxx44
Queen of the Walkabout

PostPosted: 6/30/2008, 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Last three out of four weekends have been caving. I need to do more stretching. I'll call this chapter the story of a contortionist. Or the short legged people.
We are into new or virgin passage. The thrill of every caver. Only it's not too exciting right now, on our bellies or hands and knees, crawling over rocks and dirt like snakes, turning onto your side with one arm up flailing along the ceiling of the tube, pushing with your toes on roughness on the walls to worm forward. We get to a really narrow place and Brian is pulling out rocks and pushing them back. I gather them up and squirm backwards, hauling them with my arms to place them in small nooks and crannies along the crawlway without blocking our way out. Other tributaries come in making corners we can at least turn around in or sort of sit up.
The crack looks daunting. Brian tries and tries but cannot fit to see around a corner. He invites me to try. I am smaller but not as agile as he. The small crack is about 3 feet tall but is a Mae West type configuration. I go low then try to come up, on my side. I get my head through but then the rock catches me in my sternum. I squeeze a little, it's like a vice. I try blowing out forcefully to decrease my ribcage size. Nothing doing. I back out. Try to go high, but can't keep my body up high enough on my side to not fall into the squeeze. Crap. It's very tight and Brian has to go out into the passage for me to back out and turn around, and it's not graceful with my legs contorted up by my head. We give it up and make a loop out of another tributary that takes us back to the entrance we dug open on the side of a sink. We name the little cave Locust because of the many trees. We look at the very bottom of the sink--it has opened and taken on water. Another dig project. A little cold air wafts out, it appears partially plugged by pine needles, an easy start.
Back into a cave I absolutely love to check to see if a sump is passable yet to the majority of the cave. Lots of small climbs in this one. I am getting a little used to it. Brian takes time to try to teach me some moves. At one place I do it differently but he insists I do it his way. I start laughing as I am spreadeagled on this boulder, not great hand holds, one foot on a sloping notch on a wall and the other on a wet sloped boulder. He says "just step over" ---I am so spread out it's like torture stretching as if I'm going to be torn apart. I hoist with my hands and sort of scrape along the boulder to get my foot to another spot, just smearing the side of the rock, just short of the good foothold. I switch hands and just make it. Another place he steps across a small gap and invites me to do the same. Usually here I place my hands on friendly rocks and just swing across--again it's a mega stretch for my shorter legs---I would need to make a small jump and with wet and muddy shoes I am not motivated.

We are working in yet another cave. This one has a torturous entrance, on your back or belly and go in and sort of fall in, only a few feet. Then squeeze, and I mean your head turned sideways smearing the rock, your feet turned sideways to, a few feet to the lip of a 50 foot drop. It's bolted but it's a nasty place to rig up to rappel, your one foot on the very lip of the drop, you're sideways and on a downward trend in the crack wanting to dump you out into space. We put our harnesses on before we squirm into the cave entrance. The drop is zen like, you lean out and can sit in a starting chimney position on the opposite wall, start your rap and then go into a free hang for the final 30 or so feet. The cave narrows at the pit bottom, and we have to dig and dig in mud and cobble. There is a short area that chokes up with debris, all these area caves take water during monsoons or mostly snow melt. He digs and I haul buckets of wet clay and some rock, about 30 of them. We get the passage cleared and crawl around in some mud to check the transitional passage; it looks clear. We are tired so will get back to this again. We build a little dam out of rock and seal it with clay to keep the heavier pieces of debris from clogging the passage.
Back up the rope; muddy and tired and cold. I like ascending-- my system is not the lightest or most compact but works great. Again, a hassle getting off rope without feeling like you are going to fall back into the pit. Brian has modified and sewn his own webbing, his system is only a few ounces and he can hold it in one hand.

Another cave, I'm in my wetsuit for this one. Another sump we plan to pass, getting wet will be mandatory. The cave is cold but you heat up fast when you are working. We get to the sump and it is not doable--too high, would have to swim underwater, and with it being very twisty passage Brian rules it out as too dangerous at this point. We do a little sightseeing up another passage. It has some beauty despite being flooded with mud high up walls and on formations-- it has some "push" to it but would not be viable as a bypass to the sump---going in the wrong direction. We come back out but again the climbing and scrambling is "good training."

It shows me to be a good caver you must endure some pain, push yourself to your limits, be self sufficient, and be driven. Hmmm, kinda like being a dedicated hiker/backpacker ----
beckett

PostPosted: 7/1/2008, 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Very nice! Thanks for sharing another great adventure!
Linda

-- Walter Winchell, American newspaper commentator
RedRoxx44
Queen of the Walkabout

PostPosted: 11/17/2008, 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Time to update the diary. Many little caves, discovering new caves, trying to push known caves. Caving still holds mystery and a little fear in me at times. It is so special to perhaps be the first person to see a formation, or place a human foot on a floor. But, as in hiking or whatever, there is potential danger. It is something I don't like to deal with, and fortunately haven't had too many misfortunes.

A recent experience made me glad I have a good familiarity with my gear. Brian and I have been working a project cave that may go to a much larger cave system. The cave is located in a sink, it floods at times, is a very difficult cave to traverse, cold, muddy, tight at times, interminable crawling and climbing. Even the entrance is wicked, hugs your hips as you "fall " in, then in a tight crack you sidestep to the top of a 35 foot pit, the crack angling down and threatening to dump you into the air. It is challenging to set a rope for rappel here, then lean out and prop yourself on the other ledge at the top of the pit. It bells out so you have a few feet of wall contact then it's free.
We had been in here several times. This time we had plans for a push at the end, a dig in cobble and a small pool to see if we could get more passage and more air.
I set rope and rappel first, then Brian is right after me. The bottom of the pit is a little muddy and then the cave continues to drop down a few feet and narrow with low ceilings. A recent flood has moved some rocks and a few pieces of wood. I start moving things out of the way; it's cold down here and it's good to keep moving. Brian goes down a little ways to a cold slimy mud crawl to check if it's clogged.

He comes back and I note I am breathing hard. I ask him " Do you feel a little strange??" He nods, and says he thinks the cave may have some bad air. If pine needles, branches and organic material has been washed into the cave enmass and is rotting in a confined space CO2 is produced, hugging the lower spaces due to it's heaviness. I sit down for a moment. I feel stranger and stranger. Almost like a panic. I get up and Brian says, "Let's get our ascending gear on and get out of here."
I feel like my fingers are molasses as I put on my chest harness, get out my handled ascender and footloops. As I secure my biners I make sure they are locked, my oxygen starved brain demanding I check over and over. Brian says" Come on, we need to move"
He wants me to go first. It seems hard to get on the rope. I get attached and as soon as I am up a few feet I swing about the room. As I go up the pendulum settles down and I go up some more. It seems so slow. I make sure I am not getting anything tangled. I feel better the higher I go. At the top it seems hard to get in the crack and get off rope.
Brian ascends rapidly, but forgot his helmet and hits his head on a rock, he's ok but complains a lot about it.
We crawl out into sunlight and lay on the ground. We seem to recover quickly but I gain a headache for about 2 hours before it lets up.
I am thankful to my teachers that I know my equipment and to Brian to motivating us to get out of there quickly. It was a dreamlike and scary experience, and one I hope to not repeat.
desertgirl

PostPosted: 11/17/2008, 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Glad you guys got out fine.
Article on CO2 and Caves and some monitoring techniques: http://wasg.iinet.net.au/Co2paper.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: