ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Frequency of seeing Gila Monsters
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Suz

PostPosted: 3/8/2007, 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm not as old as Stan........ Laughing but I have seen 3 in the time that I have lived here. Been in Arizona since I was 4 so that's gotta be at least 12 years. A rare treat indeed...nothing that can be planned! (YES, Superstitions.)
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 3/8/2007, 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I have seen one since I have lived here. He was the sweetest experience as he just stopped.... looked at us... allowed himself to be photographed then slowly meandered back under the bush he came out of...It was awesome. He was in the Supes.

I want to shine!
GTG
Was lost but now am found

PostPosted: 3/8/2007, 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

The one I saw was in the Superstitiions as well. It was late afternoon in April or May on the side of the road on the way out f Rogers Trough.

Another interesting and not so threatening lizard to view here is the chuckwalla. You can see them in force right here in town on Piestewa Peak in the early morning or late afternoon on the sides of the trail. They can be mistaken sometimes for GMs.

Another good one to see in action is the collared lizard. They'll be active soon and are very cool to watch. Who can resist a big blue lizard that runs around like Godzilla?

GTG
fritzski

PostPosted: 3/8/2007, 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hey Heat,

In my manic world I can never seem to focus on any one thing for too long. I'm still doing some climbing and also a hike here and there, but really into snow kiing this winter! (finally found something the wife and kids are into too) I am hoping to get in some good hiking and climbing up in the Durango, CO area this summer.

Still love to log on to the site and see what everybody is up too Smile

Are you still tearing up the rails at the torrid pace you were a year or two ago?
fritzski

PostPosted: 3/8/2007, 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

GTG,

Those are some awesome pics. How did you get them to pose for you like that?
cakewalk

PostPosted: 3/8/2007, 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Ive actually seen quite a few of them in Thunderbird park, Glendale.

Usually late in the day 4-5pm and mostly in the hottest months.
GTG
Was lost but now am found

PostPosted: 3/8/2007, 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

fritzski wrote:
GTG,

Those are some awesome pics. How did you get them to pose for you like that?

The above shots are not my pictures unfortunately, but these are; Juvenile chuckwalla I caught and released up at the old Cloud Nine restaurant a couple of years ago. It was easy to get this pose once I had him handed -

The collared lizards are easier to get. They are wary but curious like cats and will square off at the largest of perceived predators for a bit. This guy I shot while at Two Guns a few years back.

GTG
Arizonaheat
Got Supes Juice?

PostPosted: 3/8/2007, 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:

Hey Heat,

In my manic world I can never seem to focus on any one thing for too long. I'm still doing some climbing and also a hike here and there, but really into snow kiing this winter! (finally found something the wife and kids are into too) I am hoping to get in some good hiking and climbing up in the Durango, CO area this summer.

Still love to log on to the site and see what everybody is up too

Are you still tearing up the rails at the torrid pace you were a year or two ago?

I'm much worse than ever. I'm into endurance and distance hiking right now and having a blast doing it.

I'll be up in the San Juans again this year also, bagging some more 14'ers. I'm addicted to that now, too. You'll have a blast around Durango.
fat_frog

PostPosted: 3/13/2007, 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I've seen one...over a foot long when I lived in Thatcher and went to school there. Very Happy That's the only time I saw one in the wild for 2.5 years I spent there...
Sixgunz

PostPosted: 3/15/2007, 9:48 pm    Post subject: Gila Monster Reply to topic Reply with quote

I've lived here all my life & spent quite a bit outdoors...I've seen one in Cave Creek Regional Park. I thought it tasted like chicken.....

Smile j/k
kurthzone
Thread Killer

PostPosted: 3/16/2007, 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: Gila Monster Reply to topic Reply with quote

Sixgunz wrote:
I thought it tasted like chicken.....

Smile j/k

ROFLMAO
TalusMonkey

PostPosted: 3/16/2007, 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Well, I had a fantastic visit to AZ last weekend. Hiked Camelsack and Squaw on Friday and then backpacked to Reavis Ranch Friday night and Saturday morning, climbing Castle Dome along the way.

I didn't see any Gila Monsters or Collard Lizards, but, as promised by some of you, I DID see several large Chuckwallas on Squaw Peak.

However, one of the girls on the backpacking trip is a biology major and knows a professor who is conducting research on Gila Monsters. She said that he has radio collars on quite a few and often takes volunteers to locate the Gilas. She suggested that with advanced notice she could probably arrange for me to accompany the professor on one of his trips.

So perhaps in the future I can see my Gila Monster by cheating a little - with the radio collars! Thanks for all the input!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: