ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Dropped in the drink!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
IGO

PostPosted: 2/19/2007, 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Way way way cool story Diane. I was angry as heck at the first part of the story. Boaters should have the same awareness of small vessels as drunk drivers have about not driving but they still behave the way they do but then.....they got civil and wonderful and came back to retrieve you. Great.
From the experience of a 15-year-old youth who in January could not wait for water skiing season to start and who had on many earlier occasions launched slalom from the boat dock; hot showers are wonderful for the aftermath of negative solstice submersions. Lil’ Kaluha and Captain Morgan ain’t to shabby either!
"Surely all God's people, however serious or savage, great or small, like to play. Whales and elephants, dancing, humming gnats, and invisibly small mischievous microbes - all are warm with divine radium and must have lots of fun in them." John Muir
IGO

PostPosted: 2/19/2007, 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

"An adventure is never an adventure until it's over." Crazy
"Surely all God's people, however serious or savage, great or small, like to play. Whales and elephants, dancing, humming gnats, and invisibly small mischievous microbes - all are warm with divine radium and must have lots of fun in them." John Muir
BoyNhisDog
The dangerous place where the winds meet

PostPosted: 2/19/2007, 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Almost nobody dies of drowning in river running but they do so after the long swim post capsizing. You are lucky to have been picked up fast like that. Once we were traveling the Buffalo National River in Arkansas in three canoes during a flood stage. One canoe and two people went into the water. It was cold. We could not get them out of the white water for about two miles. The canoe weighed too much when full to control and we could not get the people into the other canoes as they would tip us in all the action. When we finally got things under control the two swimmers were close to hypothermia. We were in a heavy rain as well so we made a fire and got them to warm up. Hypothermia is probably the #1 killer in the outdoors and in water it comes very fast.

I am glad you made it okay. I will add that it is good to wear the PFDs when in the boat.
wanderingsoul

PostPosted: 2/19/2007, 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Gosh Diane, Glad you are OK... a little COLD maybe... hope you've warmed up by now and didn't change your mind about kayaking... I'm sure it didn't. Do you every have a quiet life Wink seems like you and Suz are pretty even about now.... Mr. Green

Sometimes quiet just isn't as good as eventful though... so I wouldn't be bothered about it if I were you... you'll have some interesting memories from your life.

Positive Thinking Is the Spark that Makes Dreams Happen~~~Unknown
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: