ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
where to backpack that's warmest in Nov/Dec

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kim

PostPosted: 10/21/2003, 7:54 pm    Post subject: where to backpack that's warmest in Nov/Dec Reply to topic Reply with quote

I hate the cold, but want to still backpack in the winter. Where can I go for a 2-4 day backpack trip that will be warmest? I was wondering if the CA coast might even be warmer than the AZ desert. Any ideas?
Kim
Arizonaheat
Got Supes Juice?

PostPosted: 10/21/2003, 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

The bottom of the Grand Canyon is usually comparable to weather here in Phoenix, maybe 5 degrees or so cooler, but be advised weather on the South Rim where you would start will be much cooler and could even have snow or be snowing.

Also if you plan on the Grand Canyon you will need a permit and they can be hard to obtain so the sooner you start the better, unless you go to Phantom, Indian Garden etc then you just need reservations, like Havasupai

The Superstition Mtns can also be fine for backpacking in the winter depending where you go and how you hit the weather.
ck1

PostPosted: 10/21/2003, 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'd concur on the central Arizona region, specifically the basin and ranges area...anywhere around the general Phoenix area...Sups would be, are, great, but will get cold at night...anywhere between Phx and Tucson would work I believe, though again, it'll be cold at night. If it were I, I'd look southwest of Phx, say in the Maricopa mtns area for true ruggedness and remoteness.

"The Journey is the Destination"
Daryl

PostPosted: 10/22/2003, 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

What's your definition of too cold?

PostPosted: 10/25/2003, 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

really, even 50 degrees is too cold for me, but I know it'll be less than 50 anywhere we go, so can only try to find the warmest area possible (I'm thinking of Thanksgiving weekend or early December).

I did the canyon rim to rim to rim in april-weather was perfect.
Did Havasupai couple weeks ago. Weather was good, a little chilly one night, but very doable.
I remember backpacking the Superstitions with a 20degree bag at one point (don't remember what time of yr, but it must've been 50 degrees out) and freezing miserably, but have a 0 degree bag, now, so that'll help.

My husband isn't as much a backpacker and is not for the remote stuff, which also makes it a little harder, but warmth is the main concern. If there are any popular places where we will see other people, though, he'd like that). and I'm thinking the mtns will be freezing.

PS. I heard South Canyon to Jacob's lake is awsome, but extremely difficult for a 3 day drive/camp from Phx and was looking at the chiricahuas, but it seems there's no backcountry packing allowed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: