ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Grand Canyon openings

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
ck1

PostPosted: 9/17/2003, 10:30 pm    Post subject: Grand Canyon openings Reply to topic Reply with quote

The following was posted elsewhere, thought I'd share it with everyone, could open up some possibilities...

As of September 22nd all day and night mules rides from the South Rim are suspended indefinetly. The NPS is starting major trail repairs on the Bright angel and South Kaibab trails and are estimating the suspension of mule rides will be in effect for about 6 months. Xanterra who runs the mule rides is now in the process of contacting people who reserved the ride and overnight lodging arrangements at Phanthom Ranch. Expect cancellations. Here's the chance to beat the looonnnggg waiting period! Check the NPS website for more details.

"The Journey is the Destination"
srlatty

PostPosted: 9/18/2003, 12:18 am    Post subject: Don't act too fast, I want to make reservations! Reply to topic Reply with quote

I also saw this and checked out the NPS website. The mule trains on Bright Angel and South Kaibab are going to stop on 9/22 for trail maintenance. The park service is saying that the service will be cut off for at least 6 months, however the trails are open for hikers and private stock animals (?).. Any way you cut it, it looks like the next couple of months may be prime season for booking reservations at Phantom Ranch. Don't spread the word too fast, I want to make some reservations!!!

http://www.nps.gov/grca/media/16sep03.htm
GTG
Was lost but now am found

PostPosted: 10/16/2003, 9:34 pm    Post subject: real reason Reply to topic Reply with quote

I have been informed by a few folks that they have stopped mule rides because no one will pick up the liability insurance. Anyone else hear this?

GTG
Arizonaheat
Got Supes Juice?

PostPosted: 10/17/2003, 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

No. but makes sense, I heard they were considering switching from mules to goats, as goats are easier to insure and they will eat most anything. Crazy Crazy
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 10/20/2003, 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

An article in the local paper said they stopped the mules at Xanterra's request because of trail safety issues. They cited one fatality at the ranch-a woman died of "exhaustion" after riding a mule down, and a couple of supply mule accidents that were "trail related." The insurance angle sounds interesting.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: