ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Bird field guide

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Photos, Literature, Art, Websites Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nighthiker

PostPosted: 1/18/2007, 5:42 am    Post subject: Bird field guide Reply to topic Reply with quote

Picked up an excellent field guide to Arizona Birds, Birds of Arizona by Stan Tekiela. The book is very well organized, bird identification is a lot easier than the other field guides including bird facts and maps of ranges and pictures of males, females and color phases. $ 15.
Sande J
Calamity J

PostPosted: 1/18/2007, 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Excellent, thanks for posting this. Just last week I was wondering about a cool looking bird on the trail and was thinking I needed to get some type of guide and bingo here is my answer! Wink Razz
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 1/18/2007, 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yes, thank you! I have several field guides. My favorite is Field Guide to Western Birds, by Roger Tory Peterson. However, a complete guide to Arizona birds would save searching through all the Arctic and Calif. birds that are not found here, in order to find the one you are looking for.
Nighthiker

PostPosted: 1/18/2007, 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

You are going to like the layout of the new field guide.
jkern15674

PostPosted: 1/19/2007, 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

While on the bird subject we saw a HUGE Bald Eagle up in Show Low this past weekend and got some sweet profile pics. The 10x zoom helped to get a great shot of it sitting in a dead ponderosa pine tree.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 1/19/2007, 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Cool! Saw one a couple weeks ago near the town dump here.

A word or two about Roger Tory Peterson: The newest edition of A Field Guide to Western Birds came out in the early 90's, as I recall. Peterson painted all the pictures for the book, as he had done with all previous editions. At the time he painted the ones for the last edition, though, he was in his eighties. A very remarkable person.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Photos, Literature, Art, Websites All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: