ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Outdoor Arizona Magazine

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Photos, Literature, Art, Websites Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sixgunz

PostPosted: 1/4/2007, 6:40 pm    Post subject: Outdoor Arizona Magazine Reply to topic Reply with quote

What ever happened to Outdoor Arizona magazine (as a publication)? I've tried to search for an answer on the 'net with no success. I've found issues that go up to around 1977-1978 or so, but the trail ends there.

Anyone have any info on when/why they went out of business, etc?

Thx
GTG
Was lost but now am found

PostPosted: 1/10/2007, 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Do you have the publisher's information? That may be a good first lead.

GTG
Suz

PostPosted: 1/10/2007, 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

My father subscribed to this magazine and even has a few copies or so at home. He says he believes they "sold-out" and then the quality dropped as did the number of subscriptions. That's his best recollection.
Nighthiker

PostPosted: 1/11/2007, 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I have the issues from May of 1971 to Sept. 79. The issue from May 1971 is titled Outdoor Arizona and also states, formerly Arizona Wildlife Sportsman. The editior is listed as Bob Hirsch and published by Phoenix Publishing.
My last issue is titled Arizona Outdoor Recreation, list Carle Hodge s the editior and published by Phoenix Magazine. As I recall the magazine ws no longer published and unused subscriptions were forwarded Phoenix Magazine. Bob Hirsch has a monthly column in Arizona Wildlife Views.
doug

PostPosted: 1/11/2007, 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

A friend is the publisher for AZOD (Arizona Outdoors) but it is a hunt'n and fish'n mag.
Sixgunz

PostPosted: 1/17/2007, 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks for all the responses.

I grew up in Az in the 70's and spent a lot of time outside, especially at Hawley Lake. However, being so young, I didn't truly appreciate it.

I recently was thumbing through some of my dad's old Outdoor Arizona magazines and was amazed at how interesting and informative the articles were...even the ads are great to look at almost 30 years later! I'd be willing to bet if that magazine, with those articles, were to be published today, it'd be a success...

Anyway, I was overcome with nostalgia with the photographs shown of the old green exterior aluminum-framed cotton tents, the Apache tent trailers and the original Starcraft tent trailers...remember when they used to make them with aluminum roofs?? They were almost indestructible... Those along with the old International Carry-All's & 3-door Suburbans...those photos sure brought back memories of old camping and hunting trips.

Well, thanks again for the responses.

Oh, if anyone has any back issues that they don't want or would sell reasonably, I'd take them off your hands.

sixgunz@aol.com
Nighthiker

PostPosted: 1/18/2007, 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

When we moved to Arizona in 67 from Illinois my parents had a Rambler station wagon and a Apache tent trailer. The fiberglass top protected the canvas and opened up like a clamshell, the beds slide out and you raised the canvas top. Company still makes a basic tent trailer, www.livinlite.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Photos, Literature, Art, Websites All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: