ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
PF Chang's Half Marathon 2007.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
MChiker

PostPosted: 1/17/2007, 4:31 pm    Post subject: PF Chang's Half Marathon 2007. Reply to topic Reply with quote

What an incredible experience! If I was not addicted before, I am NOW. This half marathon did something; it got me to believe in myself, even more, and gave me the confidence to tackle another one. It is indescribable because one has to undertake such endeavor to actually know what it feels like to be part of race. As I approached the finish line, I developed goose bumps all over and was overcome with joy. When I actually crossed it, my eyes became watery and tears trickled down my cheeks. There is nothing quite like crossing the finish line, that is for certain. Smile

It was extremely cold the morning of the race but I decided that the (Arctic Wink) weather was not going to ruin my first half marathon experience. I remained in my coral, stretching and listening to people converse with excitement, while slowly beginning to tremble due to nerves. All 23,000 runners were about to embark on something great, something amazing, and something tremendous. It took about ten minutes for me to step on to the start mats, after the gunshot, and I was off. I was off on my journey from Phoenix to final destination, Tempe.

I couldn’t wait to get to mile three because JC was going to be there, cheering me on. I saw him a few feet away and kissed him as I kept running. (It was cute…a runners’ kiss.) I heard him say, “lookin’ good, babe,” and it motivated me to proceed. At mile four I started to feel my calves cramp up, as I had worked them out two days prior to the race (not a good idea), and they were still sore. At mile five, my hip flexors began crying out for help but still continued with my efforts. Plus, JC surprised me, at that mile marker, as he shouted my name…of course another kiss was in order.

As hopeful as mile six seemed it was also dreadful to fathom. Earlier in my training, my left knee would undergo excruciating pain each time mile six rolled around. It never failed; it would take me a lengthy amount of time to complete my long runs on the trails. It turned out I needed a more stable shoe to run in and JC got me the perfect pair of Aasics, for Christmas Smile.

Eventually, mile six came and went and I was on my way to mile seven. Mile seven was wonderful because I got to see JC for the last time (before he had to go to work), which gave me the encouragement I needed to finish strong. Miles eight, nine, and ten went by rather rapidly but at the same time I was very exhausted. At mile eleven, all I could think of was, “I need to go faster.” I picked up my speed and before I knew it I was crossing the finish line.

WOW! What an accomplishment…breathtaking!! It is sufficed to say that although I had some odds against me, I broke through them and made things happen. The people on the streets along with my fellow runners were awesome in helping me stay focused on my mission to cross the finish line. Also, I want to thank JC for his guidance throughout my training, for ALWAYS being there for me, and for his support in all I set out to do. MWAH!!

The results are in and my official time is 2:19:04. Not too bad for my first half marathon, huh? It’s a given that I WILL go for a PR on my next half. I’m proud of myself, and everyone who ran with me, on that chilly but remarkable day. Smile
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 1/17/2007, 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Congrats Maggie! Sorry I couldn't join you Sad
azhiker96

PostPosted: 1/17/2007, 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Well done Maggie!
Suz

PostPosted: 1/17/2007, 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Awesome accomplishment!
GeorgAz

PostPosted: 1/17/2007, 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Bravo,Maggie!! Very Happy
sherileeaz

PostPosted: 1/17/2007, 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Way to go! Applause

Sheri
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 1/17/2007, 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yeah for you!
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 1/17/2007, 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Can't wait to talk to you about it Maggie! You are so wonderul! Great time!

I want to shine!
IGO

PostPosted: 1/17/2007, 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm pleased for everybody who tried.
"Surely all God's people, however serious or savage, great or small, like to play. Whales and elephants, dancing, humming gnats, and invisibly small mischievous microbes - all are warm with divine radium and must have lots of fun in them." John Muir
MChiker

PostPosted: 1/17/2007, 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Awwww, thanks everyone! Very Happy
MChiker

PostPosted: 1/17/2007, 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Davis2001R6 wrote:
Sorry I couldn't join you Sad

No worries....there's always next year, Tim!
LongStoryShort

PostPosted: 1/17/2007, 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm so proud of you!!!

You did awesome, I was so happy that you not only finished, but finished strong.

Smile
desertgirl

PostPosted: 1/17/2007, 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Very cool accomplishment Maggie Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: