ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
The '50's!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Photos, Literature, Art, Websites Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
evenstar

PostPosted: 1/15/2007, 1:28 pm    Post subject: The '50's! Reply to topic Reply with quote

Can't, offhand, think of any of you that are old enough to have experienced "The '50's"! Happily and luckily I am, and I did! What a great time to be a teenager! Turn on your speakers and enjoy!

http://oldfortyfives.com:80/TakeMeBackToTheFifties.htm
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
CatValet
Got Gear?

PostPosted: 1/15/2007, 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yep I was there too Hooli. I remember when Buddy died, and also the first Beatles show on Ed Sullivan. We got our first color TV in 1964. The big shows were Disney and of course, Bonanza. Even my mom watched Bonanza; even though she disliked Westerns, the scenery was so beautiful in color.
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 1/15/2007, 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I remember I remember!

Ok not really, but watching the clip I saw the tv show "I've got a secret", which reminded me of the show "What's my line?". To make a long story short I remember my Grandpa saying that his Dad, was on that show one time, they get a few questions and try and guess your occupations. If they don't guess it I think you won $50, which he did.

Episode 349
First aired: 2/10/1957
Writer:
Director:
Guest star: Steve Allen (Regular Panelist (1953-1954)), Bob Hope (Frequent Mystery Guest (1954-1963)), Lucille Ball (Most Frequent Mystery Guest (1954-1965)) , June Haver (Mystery Guest Duo), Fred MacMurray (Mystery Guest Duo), Tab Hunter (Guest Panelist), Alfred M. Gruenther (Mystery Guest #1)
Global rating: 8.1

Game 1: General Alfred M. Gruenther (as Mystery Guest #1 and the panel is blindfolded, Alfred Maximilian Gruenther) - "Former Supreme Allied Commander in Europe" and "President of American National Red Cross" (salaried; John comments that he is the former NATO commander; John mentions recent floods in West Virginia and states that the Red Cross is attempting to collect a goal of $95 million dollars in charitable donations) Game 2: "By Golly" Frager - "Makes Boxing Gloves" (self-employed; John does not ask his real first name, and Frager tells Bennett that By Golly is his nickname; from Chicago, IL) Game 3: Fred MacMurray & June Haver (as Mystery Guest Duo) Game 4: Ronald Preston - "Sewer Inspector" (salaried; chews gum during his game; from New York, NY)

His name was Sammy Frager Frager gloves, Chicago.
Frager was born in Constanta, Romania in the early 1900s and immigrated to America, settling in Chicago. He ran a small shop on Randolph Street and from the early 30's to the mid 60's, made gloves for some of the most important fighters in the game. He would take a traced print of the fighter's hand and make custom fitting gloves for a perfect fit. The smallest were said to be those of Tony Canzoneri, while Abe Simon had the largest, 14 inches, until Sonny Liston ventured on the scene and becoming a regular customer for his 15" fist. Liston and Ali wore Frager's for both their championship fights. Sammy took approximately 6 hours to make a set of four fight gloves, using lamb or sheep skin and stuffed with goat hair padding. Later he introduced foam to his gloves, which helped change the modern fight glove.

So although I don't remember the 50's Hooli, thanks for the reminder.
gpsjoe

PostPosted: 1/15/2007, 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks for that site. I remember it all. Passed my drivers test at age 16 in my fathers 57 Chevy in 1958. My dad delivered milk door to door and didn't care to drive after driving all day so I had almost exclusive use of that car in high school. My mom didn't drive as many women didn't drive at all back then.

I liked the part where it said that all we feared were our parents and grandparents. So true. If any teacher or policeman reported your bad behaviours you were in for a good butt kicking and you had absolutely no say in the matter since the teacher/policeman story was accepted as gospel truth and anythng you might say was a total lie. Teenagers have been known to lie you know.

Anyway, rock'n'roll was born and grew up from 1955 to 1965, Korean war was over and Viet Nam had not started yet. There wre absolutely no drugs anywhere near where I lived. But there was plenty of alchohol and in my town you had to be tall enough to reach over the bar and that was about it. If you were caught drunk driving the police were more likely to give you a ride home that to arrest you. And I'm not saying that was good, just that that is the way it was.

I have many fond memories of that era. Glad I was there to experience it.
azhiker96

PostPosted: 1/15/2007, 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks for posting the site. I was part of the 50s but just barely. My memories pretty much start in the 60s. I do remember B&W TV that only broadcast until about 10 or 11pm. Then you had a test pattern for awhile, then static. Johnny Weismuller was the best tarzan.
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 1/16/2007, 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Wow George! Your parents let you stay up long enough to see the test pattern!?

I want to shine!
DesertDog

PostPosted: 1/16/2007, 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

CatValet wrote:
Yep I was there too Hooli. I remember when Buddy died, and also the first Beatles show on Ed Sullivan. We got our first color TV in 1964. The big shows were Disney and of course, Bonanza. Even my mom watched Bonanza; even though she disliked Westerns, the scenery was so beautiful in color.

Disney was cool, but you had to sit through that sappy "Lassie" ("Timmy! Time for supper!" "Woof!" "Woof! Woof!" "What's that, Lassie? Timmy fell down the well in back of Old Man Potter's place again?!?!! Good girl!") first. Rolling Eyes
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 1/16/2007, 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hey! I loved Lassie!

I want to shine!
DesertDog

PostPosted: 1/16/2007, 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hikngrl wrote:
Hey! I loved Lassie!

Lucky Lassie........ Razz
IGO

PostPosted: 1/16/2007, 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

DesertDog wrote:
CatValet wrote:

Disney was cool, but you had to sit through that sappy "Lassie" ("Timmy! Time for supper!" "Woof!" "Woof! Woof!" "What's that, Lassie? Timmy fell down the well in back of Old Man Potter's place again?!?!! Good girl!") first. Rolling Eyes

I remember being 4 years old in a hospitol after a hernia operation. There were two beds and me and another kid both had wired remotes for our one TV. We flipped back and forth all the way through the half hour shows; he back to Lassey and I over to My Favorite Martian. The fight and remotes were more fun than our favorite shows.
Man......
"Surely all God's people, however serious or savage, great or small, like to play. Whales and elephants, dancing, humming gnats, and invisibly small mischievous microbes - all are warm with divine radium and must have lots of fun in them." John Muir
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Photos, Literature, Art, Websites All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: