ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Tim's Picture Problems
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Photos, Literature, Art, Websites Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daryl

PostPosted: 1/15/2007, 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

It looks like you are 1/3 to 1/2 a stop over exposed. Is your exposure compensation is off?

Be sure your exposure compensation is set to zero. if it is, set it a 1/3 stop lower below zero and give it a try. A lot of point and shoot cameras overexpose a little and this will correct it. Plus, it's better to underexpose then overexpose anyway.

ALso, be sure the white balance is set to AWB (auto). Auto does a pretty good job on most cameras. If you are only shooting outside, set it to outside. But, keep in mind that the one time you shoot indoors you will forget to take it off the outdoor setting, so auto is the best option.

Also, make sure the ISO is set to the lowest number possible.

But, Canon does a great job at handling blues, and many other camera don't. that may be the bulk of the problem.

PostPosted: 1/15/2007, 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Well I'm looking at the manual for my camera and it has adjustments for EV value, which then gives values like .3,.7,1.0,1.3 and so on. I'm guessing the E stand for exposure but what is the V?

So I will adjust that down a .3 for the next trip, hopefully before then I can play around with it a bit. .

The white balance has been set at AWB, but it also has a setting for manual, which adjusts itself when the shutter is depressed, so maybe I will mess to that as well.

Would have to agree, Canon can do the blues! I loved my Canon, but wasn't about to by a 3rd one in as many years.
Suz

PostPosted: 1/15/2007, 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Derek is correct. You see many incredible places that most people can't....but would enjoy viewing.

I spent and afternoon on a walking workshop with Derek through West Fork with my old point and shoot. He watched me set up for shots and talked to me about the lighting differences between what I could see and what is within the camera's range. I learned lots from him. He has continued to be a valuable resource for me ever since.

IMHO Some point and shoot cameras are just designed better than others. Are you internal camera settings similar to the last one? Have you played with the options for landscape, distance, portrait and so on? I bet there are some sensor/setting differences that could help you, too...........but heck..........I've been struggling with lighting issues myself, so what do I know? Rolling Eyes Constant search for the "Sweet" light....many times is something you sit and wait for.
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 1/15/2007, 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Actually this camera has more settings than the Canon. It was almost literally a point n shoot. I NEVER had to adjust anything on it. It had a vivid color mode that I used rarely. One of those times was at the LC with the picture of you. It just gave it a bluer blue. Never had any of these issues that I'm having now. Even my 5 year old Fujifilm Finepix 3.0mp camera took better shots, or at least more consistent. Hopefully adjusting the exposure will do the main trick.
Daryl

PostPosted: 1/15/2007, 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Not sure what the v is, but Ev is exposure compensation. Take some photos in your yard at zero and -.3 and compare. Underexposing a little usually results in a nice deep blue sky.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Photos, Literature, Art, Websites All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: