ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
What a blast!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 1/14/2007, 7:07 pm    Post subject: What a blast! Reply to topic Reply with quote

Would a half marathon be considered rapid hiking? Cause that is what I did this morning! I ran my first half marathon!!!!!! I am so happy! I am so proud of myself!

I intended to walk it but as it turns out I ended up running with a Chaplain from work and we decided that since neither one of us are really runners but we wanted to get some speed on we would run for six then walk till we recovered then run for six. I kept time of the six minutes ( for some strange reason I actually wore my watch today) and kept my own pace during the running periods which believe me wasn't very fast as I NEVER run. Put me on the trail and I can hike for ever but I am just not a runner.Today I had a great time! I don't actually know my chip time yet as they haven't posted them yet but I am watching the site so I will know as soon as they post it!

The kicker is that David's daddy (David it the chaplain I was running with) is 70 years old and he kicked our butts! We last saw him at the second mile marker and then never saw him again till the finish line!!!! Oh my goodness! Now to my credit this is my very first half marathon and the furthest and most I have ever run in my life and he does races all the time for kicks so......take from that what you will.

The temps today were the coldest they have been all year in the valley it seems... well maybe not but it was very cold! Waiting to start the race was torture and waiting for the others in our group to cross the finish line was not all that great either but while running the brisk temps were perfect!

So we all got to the shuttle area by approximately 7:00 and got on our shuttle bus to take us to the starting line. Just as the bus was getting ready to take off the driver started backing up to maneuver out of the parking spot and crashed right into the bus behind us! So now all the nicely warmed runners sitting on the nice warm bus had to pile off (both busses) and wait for more busses! Cold again!

A bit of a ominous start to the day... but the rest of the day went wonderfully and I may consider doing another one some day.... who knows, if I decide to I may even train for the next one as I did not train for this one cause I thought it was just gonna be 13.1 miles on city streets and heck! I do 24 miles in the Canyon with no problems so why should I train? Now I know why I should have trained! Just think if I had trained I may have been able to kick that 70 year old's butt instead of him kicking mine!

Let's hear from some of the others I know were out there today! How did you guys do? I know you guys were much more ready for this than I was so I know you did great!

I want to shine!
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 1/14/2007, 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Glad you had fun, a part of me wanted to do that as well today. The larger part of me wanted to be in the canyon.
IGO

PostPosted: 1/14/2007, 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Great for you Diane. It seems like you really enjoyed it.
"Surely all God's people, however serious or savage, great or small, like to play. Whales and elephants, dancing, humming gnats, and invisibly small mischievous microbes - all are warm with divine radium and must have lots of fun in them." John Muir
thesuperstitions

PostPosted: 1/15/2007, 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Way to go Diane!!! That's a GREAT accomplishment!!!!! Glad you had a lot of fun doing it!!
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 1/15/2007, 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Come people how did you do? Maggie, Tommy, Diane? Anyone, Ferris Bueler, Anyone?
mmacmike

PostPosted: 1/15/2007, 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

That's great Hikngrl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wish I was there. My wife and i ran the NY Marathon in Nov. & we're coming out to Utah in April to run the Moab Vally 1/2 marathon.
Hikngrl

PostPosted: 1/15/2007, 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I tried again this morning to search my results and they are not coming up! I am dying to know how I did! I know with the spit times that were up with the live results during the race I had 13.50 and 13.17 minute miles.... not bad for an old lady! I know that most oyou wouldn't be all that proud of that but I sure am!

I want to shine!
beckett

PostPosted: 1/15/2007, 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Excellent Diane! Life is such an adventure, isn't it!?! Way to go!
Linda

-- Walter Winchell, American newspaper commentator
evenstar

PostPosted: 1/15/2007, 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Way to go Diane! Very Happy
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
Tommy

PostPosted: 1/15/2007, 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Nice write-up Diane!! This was such an amazing event. It was an incredible feeling to be standing along side 24,000 shivering people in freezing temperatures at the starting gate.

Not that I had specifically trained for this, but I felt I was in shape enough to give the half marathon a go. Just got my chip time off the website - 1:46:24. 179th place out of 964 in my division (30-34 males). yay for me!

Afterward, I ate lunch with a friend, lounged around a bit, and then came back to the finsih line to watch the last people to finish the FULL marathon. Now that was truly inspiring - to see all ages and shapes and sizes of people pushing themselves to their personal limit to finish 26.2 miles. walking, limping, some smiling, some not. Next year, maybe I'll try that.

Met up with JC and Maggie at the concert last night. Sounds like Maggie also did an awesome job. way to go!! the concert would have been more fun if it wasn't so cold, but still a good time.
evenstar

PostPosted: 1/15/2007, 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Training to run the full marathon takes real dedication, and at least a six month lead time. I ran the San Francisco Marathon in 1984 which was held in mid August rather than the usual June because of the summer Olympics that year. Even though I'd already run a lot of 10K's, I started my serious training the previous December. In the ten weeks leading up to the marathon I had worked up to four 50+ mile weeks and four 20+ mile training runs. It all paid off with a 3:36:08.6 time, a roughly 8:13 per minute mile. Placed 2308th out of 10,000+ runners and think there were fewer than 100 in my age group, 45 to 55, that finished ahead of me. I was 47 at the time. Took the following Monday off from work figuring I'd need that to recover; ended up doing a five mile run just to work off some of the stiffness.

I've since considered doing another marathon, but the thought of all the time and effort it took to train and said, once is enough. Kept doing 10K's until I retired in 1992 and realized I no longer had the stress to work off that made me need to run.

For someone like Diane, who's done rim to rim in the Canyon more than once, I'd bet she could easily be ready for a sub four hour marathon next year.
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
mmacmike

PostPosted: 1/15/2007, 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

It doesn't matter how long it takes to finish Hikngrl. the key is you finished!!!!!!! that's great!!!!! i can tell you from experience that what you did is no easy undertaking. It takes a lot of heart and perseverance to run a marathon or half marathon.
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 1/15/2007, 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Great job people! Maybe next year Smile
Nighthiker

PostPosted: 1/15/2007, 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Great Job ! So what works post 24 hr after the event, Aleve or Mortrin ?
Hikngrl

PostPosted: 1/15/2007, 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Amazingly nothing but my toe next to my big toe on my left foot hurts and that is only because it is gonna come off.... not surprisingly so I might add. The rest of me is comfortable!

I want to shine!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: