ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Urban Snowshoeing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Canyon Dweller

PostPosted: 12/23/2006, 2:08 pm    Post subject: Urban Snowshoeing Reply to topic Reply with quote

This past week Colorado got dumped on. Denver has 2-3 feet of snow in places. The whole city shut down and I was out of work for 2 days. The roads were just to messy to drive in.

My wife and I decided since there is nowhere to go and we were pretty much locked in, we would get a head start on Christmas cooking. Well, after taking an invatory of what we had, we realized we were missing quite a few items. We decided to make an adventure out of it. We bundeled up, straped on our snowshoes and went urban showshoeing to the store Exclamation We headed out just after dark.
The snow was still coming down and the wind was blowing in our face the whole way. We first cut through the park which was 2 feet of snow the whole way till we got back to the road, then headed up the road. The store is about 1 mile away. we got to the store, got what we needed and headed back. Once we got back to the park, nearly 2 hours later, our tracks were completly covered up and had to cut a new path. I pulled out my flashlight, but it did not really help with the falling snow.
We got home, unbundled and started cooking.

This was a very different snowshoeing experience, but we had fun and put in a good workout.

"Meaningless! Meaningless," says the teacher, "Utterly Meaningless, Everything is meaningless."-Ecclesiastes 1:2
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 12/23/2006, 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thats awesome Steven, I'm jealous. A Christmas dinner you won't forget thats for sure!
wanderingsoul

PostPosted: 12/24/2006, 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Sounds like a good way to use those snowshoes. Different that is for sure. You might also try x-country skiing on the side walks, if you can't venture any farther. It works really nice at night, no one out and street lights to guide your way.

Positive Thinking Is the Spark that Makes Dreams Happen~~~Unknown
Canyon Dweller

PostPosted: 12/28/2006, 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

wanderingsoul wrote:
Sounds like a good way to use those snowshoes. Different that is for sure. You might also try x-country skiing on the side walks, if you can't venture any farther. It works really nice at night, no one out and street lights to guide your way.

x-country skiing or x-urban skiing Question Question Very Happy

I would if i had skiis, but snowshoes are good enouph.

It's snowing again and we are expected anywhere between 10 inches and 2 feet. Looks like we'll have to do it again Yahoo! Freezing

"Meaningless! Meaningless," says the teacher, "Utterly Meaningless, Everything is meaningless."-Ecclesiastes 1:2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: