ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Which is more dangerous, hiking or shopping??
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Off-Trail Area Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
mike
What box?

PostPosted: 10/1/2003, 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Looks like there may be more to the story...

Arkansasnbc.com wrote:
Wal-Mart Rattlesnake May Have Been Hoax
October 1, 2003 at 11:28AM CDT

Authorities in Texas are trying to determine whether a man actually was bitten by a rattlesnake in a Wal-Mart, as he claimed.

When firefighters arrived Tuesday afternoon at a Brownwood, Texas store, they found a small dead Western Diamondback rattler in a box.

Fire officials say a man told firefighters he reached for a pair of shoes in the shoe department when the snake bit his hand.

Officials say the man told them he stomped the snake to death, then walked to the sporting goods section and told an employee he had been bitten.

A store official says police told her it didn't look like a freshly killed snake.

srlatty

PostPosted: 10/1/2003, 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Arizonaheat wrote:
kurthzone wrote:
I wouldn't have killed the snake!
Stan, I wouldn't either. I may have died of heart failure, but I wouldn't have killed the snake.

I expect that sort of encounter in the Supes, but not the local Wal Mart, that would totally catch me off guard.

Ok, I agree, but kind of disagree, with you both. Yes, you do expect that sort of thing in the Supes or anywhere else that are the snakes natural habitat. However, I think I might have killed it in the store. This is not it's natural habitat and the chances of it possibly biting someone else are much higher in the store than outdoors. I would much rather take it out than put many more people in jeopardy. In the wild, it was my own fault for getting bit, it shouldn't die because I was careless. However, it seems this may be a moot point since it looks like the guy staged the whole thing!
ck1

PostPosted: 10/1/2003, 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Where's the Crocodile Hunter when you need him..."Look at this Sheila, isn't she beautiful"...can't you see him crawling under a Walmart shoe rack...

"The Journey is the Destination"
kurthzone
Thread Killer

PostPosted: 10/1/2003, 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

ck1 wrote:
Where's the Crocodile Hunter when you need him..."Look at this Sheila, isn't she beautiful"...can't you see him crawling under a Walmart shoe rack...

rofl
Hnak

PostPosted: 10/3/2003, 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

kurthzone wrote:

Doesn't that put in two commas?

This php snippet leaves the comma out :

<?php

$a = for sure;
echo "<p>$a++</p>";

?>

So I think all around this would be better, no need to concetate:

<?php

echo "<p>for sure, for sure </p>";

?>

I suppose that if I wrote it in FORTRAN I'd really be dating myself, wouldn't I??? Rolling Eyes

Or, as one friend of mine once said....

I'm not dating myself, but I am sitting by the phone waiting for me to call.... Confused

Furthermore, what does this have to do with snakes in WalMart?? Oh, never mind... It's Friday... Very Happy
mike
What box?

PostPosted: 10/3/2003, 11:52 am    Post subject: I smell a snake... Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:
Man Says Wal-Mart Should Pay Medical Bills After Snake Bite

BROWNWOOD, Texas (AP) - A man who claims he was bitten by a rattlesnake in a Wal-Mart says he wants the store to pay his medical bills but does not plan to seek more money.

Douglas Hatchett, 31, a self-employed carpenter and painter who lives in Bangs, Texas, went to Wal-Mart in nearby Brownwood on Monday.

He said he reached for a pair of shoes in a box on a shelf when the Western diamondback rattler, estimated at 14-16 inches long, bit him in the hand.

He said he stomped twice on the snake, killing it, then found an employee and asked for a snake bite kit.

He said someone from management arrived with the kit and insisted on calling an ambulance. Hatchett said he did not want to go to the hospital but did and was released Monday night.

Firefighters arrived and found a small dead rattlesnake in a box.

Wal-Mart officials say they are investigating by talking to ambulance workers and other witnesses and reviewing store security tapes.

CatValet
Got Gear?

PostPosted: 10/3/2003, 12:47 pm    Post subject: No Big Deal Reply to topic Reply with quote

No sweat, it didn't fly like the rare goat swallowing constrictor recently found in the West Fork Swim.....
mike
What box?

PostPosted: 10/3/2003, 1:20 pm    Post subject: The plot thickens.... Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:
Hospital Says Wal-Mart Shopper Didn't Suffer Snake Bite

More questions surround a man from the Brownwood, Texas area who claimed he was bitten by a rattlesnake in a local Wal-Mart.

Douglas Hatchett of Bangs had reported being bitten Monday by a rattlesnake hidden in a shoe rack at the Brownwood department store. Wal-Mart officials have expressed skepticism.

KBWD-AM and KOXE-FM in Brownwood report Brownwood Regional Medical Center doctors told police Douglas Hatchett had not been bitten by a rattler when they examined him Monday.

Brownwood Police Chief Virgil Corwin referred questions to Brown County prosecutor Michael Murray, who said he had no report on the case. Neither Hatchett nor hospital officials have returned phone calls from The Associated Press.

mike
What box?

PostPosted: 10/3/2003, 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:
Bangs man's snakebite claim investigated
Abilene Reporter-News
October 3, 2003

BROWNWOOD — Brown County Attorney Shane Britton has opened an investigation that could result in criminal charges against a Bangs man who claimed a snake bit him inside Brownwood’s Wal-Mart.

Douglas Hatchett, 31, claimed a small rattlesnake bit him on the hand Monday as he shopped in the store’s shoe department. Hatchett was taken to Brownwood Regional Medical Center and released about nine hours later.

Britton said he has been in contact with officials from Wal-Mart’s corporate headquarters in Bentonville, Ark., and officials at the retailer’s district office in Midland. Britton has also subpoenaed medical records from BRMC. He said he expects to have his findings compiled next week.

"If it turns out this incident was fabricated, I would assume that Wal-Mart and Brownwood Regional would be interested in filing charges," the prosecutor said.

Charges against Hatchett could range from filing a false report to theft, Britton said.

At his home this morning, Hatchett, a self-employed carpenter, insisted he is telling the truth about being bitten by a small rattlesnake. He still has what he says are bite marks above his right thumb.

He said once he reported the bite to the store manager, he asked only for a snakebite kit, but was told by the manager that company policy required he be treated at a hospital.

"There’s no reason for me to lie," he said. "Wal-Mart insisted I be taken to the hospital. All I am asking is that they pay for what their company policy is."

Hatchett said once he had been treated with what doctors told him was the "maximum amount" of anti-venom medication, he wanted to leave, but doctors insisted he stay another six hours.

"If I hadn’t been bitten, why would the doctors want to keep me there?" he asked.

Dr. John Dunn, who heads the emergency room at BRMC, was not on duty the day of the incident, but said anti-venom medication is used only if doctors believe a bite has occurred. He said the standard dose is five vials of the drug, costing thousands of dollars.

"The anti-venom could cause an allergic reaction in a person who has not been bitten," he said.

He said when a person has been bitten, the best first aid is to get to a hospital as quickly as possible.

Hatchett accused the Wal-Mart chain of launching a smear campaign against him after the incident. Rumors have surfaced that the incident was a hoax and that Hatchett may have taken a dead snake into the store and planted it there.

"Rumors and accusations started coming up from Wal-Mart at the very beginning," Hatchett said. "It was intentional to downplay their role in this situation."

Wal-Mart officials said they continue to investigate Hatchett’s claims, but that certain things "aren’t adding up."

"We’ve looked into it and investigated and are trying to determine what happened here," said Tom Williams, a Wal-Mart spokesman. "The more we look into it, the more we are not pleased with what has gone on."

Williams would not speculate whether the store will pursue charges against Hatchett.

The incident has received attention from media outlets across the nation.

Brownwood Regional Medical Center officials are expected to issue a statement later today.

kurthzone
Thread Killer

PostPosted: 10/3/2003, 4:27 pm    Post subject: Snake Karma Reply to topic Reply with quote

I wouldn't have killed the snake!
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 10/4/2003, 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I still say Dr. Scholl did it in the shoe department with a sandal

"Eastward the dawn rose, ridge behind ridge into the morning, and vanished out of eyesight into guess; it was no more than a glimmer blending with the hem of the sky, but it spoke to them, out of the memory and old tales, of the high and distant mountains." � J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of The Rings.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Off-Trail Area All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: