ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Out of state hikes catagory
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Questions & Suggestions Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Canyon Dweller

PostPosted: 11/11/2006, 1:48 pm    Post subject: Out of state hikes catagory Reply to topic Reply with quote

It seams to me, it would make sense to add another catagory for out of state posts. Alot of people seam to enjoy leaving arizona, going on an adventure and posting them here in the trip logs section. Or people like me who dont live in AZ (anymore) who like to post there hiking stories. Just seams to me to organize things a little better.

"Meaningless! Meaningless," says the teacher, "Utterly Meaningless, Everything is meaningless."-Ecclesiastes 1:2
RedRoxx44
Queen of the Walkabout

PostPosted: 11/11/2006, 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Makes sense to me, a lot of my recently posted treks ain't in Az.
gpsjoe

PostPosted: 11/11/2006, 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Go for it!
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 11/11/2006, 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yeah that sounds like a great idea, I don't think it would need to be any more specific than just out of state hikes. I've done stuff in Cali a few times. Would love to go to Colorado sometime as well. Then there is that little mountain in Mexico that still calls my name.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 11/12/2006, 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Little mountain? You talkin' about Picacho del Diablo by chance? I have a story.....
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 11/12/2006, 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Nope, Pico De Orizaba 18,400 feet or so. Little is relative to say "Everest"
Canyon Dweller

PostPosted: 11/14/2006, 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Davis2001R6 wrote:
Nope, Pico De Orizaba 18,400 feet or so. Little is relative to say "Everest"

dude, you are diehard Exclamation

Rim to rim to rim n the Canyon, an attempt on Shasta with little sleep, and now looking at Pico De Orizaba.

Ever thought of doing Mt. Ranier as training?

"Meaningless! Meaningless," says the teacher, "Utterly Meaningless, Everything is meaningless."-Ecclesiastes 1:2
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 11/14/2006, 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Rainier is more difficult on a technical level, Orizaba is just 4000 feet taller.

So who wants to go to Mexico? If you want you can just set-up the AZH base camp at 14'000 feet and I'll hike it from there. I just don't know about traveling to Mexico solo when I really don't speak any spanish.
Matt Hoffman

PostPosted: 11/14/2006, 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

My girlfriend did Orizaba a few years ago shortly before I met her. It turned her off of mountaineering, but it sounded really awesome to me! Hopefully, I'll have Rainier under my belt in about a year. I'll be hitting up some Colorado 13er's this winter and spring. I'll be learning to ice climb in February, so I'll be set more or less in the skills department after that. Razz
desertgirl

PostPosted: 11/14/2006, 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Matt Hoffman wrote:
My girlfriend did Orizaba a few years ago shortly before I met her. It turned her off of mountaineering, but it sounded really awesome to me! Hopefully, I'll have Rainier under my belt in about a year. I'll be hitting up some Colorado 13er's this winter and spring. I'll be learning to ice climb in February, so I'll be set more or less in the skills department after that. Razz

It will be cool to hear from her ..just to understand what made her turned off ? Chin Scratching
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 11/15/2006, 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

You won't catch me up there in the cold, bleak & steep! I don't need to hear from Matt's girlfriend to know the answer! I tried mountaineering--ropes, ice axe, crampons, etc., in the Sierras, when I was in my twenties. Decided I didn't like it. Too cold, inhospitable, not fun. Some of the people that do it have a very competitive, type-A personality, too. (Not speaking about anyone on here, just people I knew back then.) Not fun to be with uptight people, either.

It reminds me of how many personality types do visit the mountains, even if you are talking only about non-motorized activities. Some experience spiritual Nirvana, some go for the rollercoaster thrills. Some want to go further and faster, others want to stop and smell every flower. Some are always looking for the next competitive event (mtn. biking, trail running, rock climbing, etc.) others for the most remote and unknown meadow. Some make lists of peaks they've climbed, hurrying on to the next one. Others hike to a lonely spot and find a rock to sit on for a week, just to look at the view. There's something for everyone, I guess you could say.

I remember an old acquaintance of mine who told me he went backpacking once with some friends. Told me he hated backpacking because you could never stop to rest. It turns out these people kept going for hours without a break, not thinking of the newbie with them. I told this guy I stop whenever I feel like it, and usually at least once an hour. He was amazed. I guess it didn't occur to him you were allowed to do that!

I'm not sure if we need an out-of-state separate forum. A lot of people do post their out-of-state hikes. Of course, these are mostly in Calif, Utah, N. Mex. and Colorado. But these hikes don't make up a very large percentage of all hikes posted. Someone could do a "study" to find out?
Canyon Dweller

PostPosted: 11/15/2006, 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Here is an interesting trip report on Orizaba. It's very lengthy, but very informative.
http://www.summitpost.org/trip-report/169322/a-learning-experience-of-epic-proportion.html

azhiker96

PostPosted: 11/15/2006, 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Interesting trip report. Tim, when were you thinking of going?
Matt Hoffman

PostPosted: 11/15/2006, 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

desertgirl wrote:

It will be cool to hear from her ..just to understand what made her turned off ? Chin Scratching

I think she encountered some terrain that scared the hell out of her. Plus she doesn't like to be cold. She just simply decided that mountaineering wasn't for her. Fair enough...I guess.
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 11/15/2006, 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:

Tim, when were you thinking of going?

Well I had wanted to go in early Decemeber, but that isn't going to happen this year. The prime season runs till February there though, but I don't think that is going to work either. So I plan to go for it next December. Fly out Friday night and stay in Mexico City. Do a warm up hike on a 15'er then head out to Orizaba. Return home the next saturday.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Questions & Suggestions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: