ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Dave's, mine, and the boys' Big Island Hawaii trip

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
jmzblond
J Me

PostPosted: 10/23/2006, 4:35 pm    Post subject: Dave's, mine, and the boys' Big Island Hawaii trip Reply to topic Reply with quote

Tim has inspired me to post a link to our Hawaii trip photos. Hopefully this will work!!

http://www.kodakgallery.com/ShareLandingSignin.jsp?Uc=7j2042n.2zz73ogz&Uy=mm338s&Upost_signin=Slideshow.jsp%3Fmode%3Dfromshare&Ux=0&UV=871151852636_686805816107

Just click on the pic of Dailon, that way you dont need to sign in or register.

"The romantic lifestyle of goats leaves a lot of time for digesting books" Charlotte La Chevre, (taken from "Conversations With A Goat" by Robert Shekter)
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 10/23/2006, 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Very cool Jaimi, you guys looked like you had a blast! I think I picked the wrong island Sad
jmzblond
J Me

PostPosted: 10/23/2006, 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Davis2001R6 wrote:
I think I picked the wrong island Sad

WHAT???? no way!! All it means for you, is the same thing it means for us..... more trips!! We loved it there. We're definitely going back!!

"The romantic lifestyle of goats leaves a lot of time for digesting books" Charlotte La Chevre, (taken from "Conversations With A Goat" by Robert Shekter)
wanderingsoul

PostPosted: 10/23/2006, 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Wonderful pictures Jamie.... Brings back lots of memories. I wasn't on that island it looks beautiful. You all look so happy and enjoying every minute. If those are your boys... they have grown so. Thanks for sharing the pictures, I enjoyed looking at everyone. You have some very interesting shots of the ocean, landscapes with sky affects and little creatures too.

Positive Thinking Is the Spark that Makes Dreams Happen~~~Unknown
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 10/23/2006, 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I looked at all 188 photos, despite the fact I have dial-up! Thanks for sharing! I lived there for 8 years--'78 to '86. Some of the photos really brought back memories for sure. My mom was a member of Mokuaikaua Church--you had a photo of it. I lived near South Point for quite awhile, in Ocean View, and also in Honaunau Mauka and Kealakekua. The kids were born there, 2 at Kona Hospital (the one damaged in recent earthquake) and the first one in Ka'u, in Ocean View.

I looked at my very detailed map, can't find Holoholokai beach. Must be in Kona if you could see the sunset there.
jmzblond
J Me

PostPosted: 10/24/2006, 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

azbackpackr wrote:
I looked at all 188 photos

This is why I spared our server, and did not upload the photos to the Gallery. Believe it or not, the 188 pics are only HALF of the photos. The other half is in another folder!!

jmzblond
J Me

PostPosted: 10/24/2006, 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

azbackpackr wrote:
I looked at my very detailed map, can't find Holoholokai beach. Must be in Kona if you could see the sunset there.

Here is a link for Holoholokai Beach. We had friends that got married on that beach (That's the folder for the other half of the Hawaii pics!!)

http://www.hawaiiweb.com/hawaii/html/beaches/holoholokai_beach_park.html

azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 10/25/2006, 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Is it north of Hapuna and Mauna Lani, but south of Kawaihai Harbor? If so it used to be called Spencer Beach State Park. I have been there many times. I looked on your link, saw no reference to Spencer Park, so I am thinking they re-named it.

There is a really neat nude beach just south of Hapuna. It's called Beach 67. If you google it, it only comes up as a "gay" beach, but when I lived there it was more of a hippie hang-out, and people used to set up tents there and live there for months. They'd get kicked out by the cops, wait a few weeks, and move back again! The "67" is the number on a phone pole by the roadside. Then you have to hike down a trail to get there. (There is also a Beach 69, two phone poles to the south of there, but it's not a nude beach, has a couple of houses next to it.) I really think the "gay" beach designation is probably not too accurate, but I'm pretty sure it's still considered a nude beach.

I hear Hapuna now has a hotel next to it. You apparently artfully did not put it in your photos? My husband and I were pretty shocked when we heard about it some years ago.

I lived in two coffee shacks on the Ackerman Ranch between Kainaliu and Kealakekua for about 4 years (out of the 8 I lived on the Big Island). We paid a whopping $150 in rent a month, had about 20 acres of land around us to use for gardening, lots of different fruit trees, had a million-dollar view of the ocean--rainbows every afternoon at sunset during the summer rainy season. I also owned an acre in Hawaiian Ocean View Estates, where I had (almost single handedly) built a one-room cabin, lived there 2 1/2 years, but it was so far from town, and I had no utilities at all down there, so that's why I moved to the Ackerman Ranch--I had in the meantime met my husband and had the first kid at home in my cabin in Ocean View, and the second one was on the way. Living so primitively with a small baby was not fun! At the Ackerman Ranch there was a 4WD rd. to get to our house, but we had running water, electric and phone there, although the first house had no bathroom, only an outhouse. At the second house I had a washing machine, shower and flush toilet--oh, luxury! The two coffee shacks we lived in there were pretty Third World, with screen windows, some glass ones. They were both over 100 years old, had been converted by some hippies into living spaces. They had termites really bad, so I am unsure if they are still standing. We experienced several earthquakes there, including the shaky 6. in 1983. We grabbed our two babies and ran out the door! It just shook those loose old houses around, didn't hurt them any. We grew big gardens and always had a big bunch of bananas hanging from a beam on the lanai.

When you harvest bananas, you cut down the whole tree. They only will produce one bunch per tree. You use a machete and wear very old clothes as the sap stains badly. You tie a rope around the end of the bunch of bananas and have someone hold it, then you chop the tree down. The person holding the rope pulls the banana bunch away from the falling tree. The tree is very soft, but also is very heavy with water, so you don't want it to fall on you. Bananas are a rhyzome. This means new ones come up from a permanent root system. You need to keep them thinned out or they will not produce very well. They also respond well to addition of fertilizer, but this is not completely necessary. So that is your lesson for the day in banana harvesting.

In the gardens we were severely limited because of the island's fruit fly infestation. So you couldn't grow zucchini, lg. tomatoes, cucumbers. You could grow root veggies and leafy vegies, broccoli, brussels sprouts and cherry tomatoes. As for squash, you could grow what is known as Japanese Pumpkins, as their rind resists the fruit flies. We also ate taro roots--boiled, sliced and fried into chips, and same with the breadfruits. We picked guavas, passion fruits, avocados, citrus, papayas, mac nuts, mangoes and star fruits on the ranch. They just grew all over the place, we didn't plant them or cultivate them.

I swam a lot with a snorkel at Kahalu'u Beach near Kailua when I was pregnant with all three of my kids, usually about a mile or more every day, and right up until the day I had the babies.

Did you stop and look at the view of Waipio Valley on the Hamakua Coast, north of Laupahoehoe? I will put a photo of it for you a friend sent me. (I will have to go look at the directions for putting photos first.) I went on a backpacking trip there in '79, from Waipio Valley to Waimanu Valley, camped on the beach. 28 miles r/t. You can google those names and get stunning photos. There is a huge waterfall at Waimanu--Wai'ilikahi Falls. As I recall it is over 600 ft. high. The hike itself is slogging through mud and wild pig doodoo, the camping is very wet and soggy, and you can't swim at that beach where you camp, but it is still worth doing.

Well, I could go on and on. Do I miss it? Yes, sometimes. But I truly deeply love Arizona! Hawaii can be so confining after a few years. You get that island fever and then you want to leave. Then you tell yourself "why would I want to leave this place" but that island fever has you. So you sell everything you own, buy the tickets and fly away with tears running down your face--your face glued to the airplane window. My husband and I intend to go back to Kona sometime and stay for several months. We will have to wait until our dogs die, though! Can't take them there! Sad but true!
jmzblond
J Me

PostPosted: 10/25/2006, 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Holoholokai Beach in at the end of Mauna Lani drive, then you walk a slight trail north.

As for Spencer Beach State Park... here's the link for it.
http://www.hawaiiweb.com/hawaii/html/beaches/spencer_beach_park.html

Arizonaheat
Got Supes Juice?

PostPosted: 10/25/2006, 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Wow, azbackpacker, sounds like J-ME stirred up some memories. I thorughly enjoyed reading your story.

Jaime, I enjoyed your pics Smile
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 10/25/2006, 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Then I guess Holoholokai Beach is not the same as Spencer Park. That link to beaches was nice--I looked at quite a few of them. Thanks!

Glad you enjoyed my story, Azheat!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: