ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
hwy 60 from Globe to Show Low

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Campgrounds & Road Conditions Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
k9hiker

PostPosted: 9/30/2006, 4:17 pm    Post subject: hwy 60 from Globe to Show Low Reply to topic Reply with quote

I haven't been on this road in ages so I'm looking for advice. I will be heading up that way in Oct for the Escudilla GHOTM and I'm trying to decide which route to take. I have been on the two lane 260 and it's nice and scenic but I was wondering if the 60 would be a bit faster. ANyone know???

thanks
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 9/30/2006, 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

As I recall, we looked at this when we did the Mt Baldy thing. The mileage is near exactly the same. Scenic views is the determinant. I settled it by going one way, coming home the other.
evenstar

PostPosted: 9/30/2006, 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Shawn wrote:
As I recall, we looked at this when we did the Mt Baldy thing. The mileage is near exactly the same. Scenic views is the determinant. I settled it by going one way, coming home the other.

Same here.
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 10/1/2006, 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

This way goes through the Salt River Canyon. It is gorgeous! I have been this way dozens of times because it's the quickest way from Springerville to Tucson, although when I get to Globe I turn the other way and go down 77, through Winkleman and along the Gila River, instead of going to Superior. I go through Superior, though, on the way to Yuma, or if I'm going hiking in the Supes, or going anywhere in the East Valley. Many of you, living in the Valley, may not have travelled 77 from Globe to Tucson. It is very beautiful, also.

Hwy 60 is a very beautiful drive, especially the Salt River Canyon. For some people the road is a bit scary, but over the 17 years that I've been frequently travelling it, they have made a lot of improvements: passing lanes, widening, and wider shoulders, etc. As for time, if you're living in the East Valley it's about the same time to get to Springerville, but longer if you live in Central Phoenix. It takes me 4 1/2 hours from Springerville to the Peralta Trailhead going on 60. If I want to go to the airport though, I take 260 through Payson--much quicker. I can make it to the airport in about 4 hours that way.

The put-in for river trips on the Salt is just below the bridge at the bottom of the canyon, although if the water is high we've put in 1/4 mile above the bridge so we could run Apache Falls. Running the Salt is one of the most fun things to do in Arizona, if you ask me!
k9hiker

PostPosted: 10/4/2006, 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thank you. I think I will check it out on the way home and take the way I'm familiar with on the way up since I might be driving in the dark near the end.

I remember it being very pretty but since it's been so many years since I was on it I could not remember lane conditions and such.

Really appreciate the comments folks.
CatValet
Got Gear?

PostPosted: 10/4/2006, 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Jamie: My 2 cents worth as a lead foot and a transportation planner with 25+ years experience. Salt River Canyon is scenic and nice. The downside is driving thru Superior, Miami, Globe and the bad slow road between them. US 60 north of Globe lacks passing lanes so if you get behind a slow truck or a winnebago you are hosed. The trip for the senic drive is ok, but if you are beating feet after dark on Friday pm trying to get to escudilla before you nod out, give it a pass.

The other route is faster. SR 87 to Payson is all four lane divided, so it's a 75mph trip if John Law isn't on your tail. (He hangs out near Bush Highway and near the SR 188 junction south of Rye) East of Payson on SR 260, a number of passing lanes and divided segments have been added most of the way to Heber. When you get to Show Low: two options, either SR 260 through Pinetop, Lakeside, Hondah, McNary, and past Sunrise--or US 60 straight to Eager/Springerville. SR 260 is much slower because you crawl through Pinetop and all the other places, and climb to almost 9k. It is also more scenic. After dark take 60, which is much faster.

Watch for Elk all routes from Payson east.....Their fur doesn't reflect worth a darn.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 10/5/2006, 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

All true, except they have added a few passing lanes, even right in the middle of the Salt River Canyon, (both sides of the canyon have very long passing lanes now) and there are several above Globe, several past the SRC. And, it's Eagar. (We Eagarites are probably overly sensitive about the spelling!)

I also hate that part by Miami! There is that part by the tunnel and the rock climbing area where the scenery is interesting but the road is very narrow and everyone is going as fast as they possibly can, and sometimes there is a lot of traffic. It doesn't last long, though, and then you get to Superior.
gpsjoe

PostPosted: 10/5/2006, 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

To add to the confusion, I will offer yet another option. Last Sunday I used 60 East past Globe and turned right on 73 and took it through the Indian community of Whiteriver to the intersection with 260 taking 260 to Eagar and on to Escudilla trailhead.

Because 73 goes south for a while then turns east and back north, it adds about 10 miles to the trip but completely bypasses Show Low and Pinetop amd probably saves some time on the total trip while providing yet another set of views. On the way back I took 60 to Show Low and 260 to 87 as others have described.

If you go to that area often enough you will want to try all of them. There is little difference in distance or time so diversity is my choice.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 10/6/2006, 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I haven't been that way--I don't know why not, though! I have been to Whiteriver, however. A lot of people from Greer travel via 73 to avoid the mess that Show Low/Pinetop has become.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Campgrounds & Road Conditions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: