ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Outside Magazine

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 8/20/2006, 8:53 pm    Post subject: Outside Magazine Reply to topic Reply with quote

Did anyone get a copy of the Outside Magazine for Septemeber?

There is about 10 pages devoted to Mt. Everest, 10 years later. It has interviews with some of the climbers and windows from the accident up there 10 years ago that lead to the book "Into Thin Air".

It also talks about the mountain now and whats happening on it. This year was the deadliest year for Everest since then.

If you read Into Thin Air then you may want to pick-up a copy of the magazine.
RC

PostPosted: 8/20/2006, 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

You can check some of it out online too.

http://outside.away.com/outside/destinations/199609/199609_into_thin_air_1.html
jkern15674

PostPosted: 8/22/2006, 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I could care less bout all the people who die on that mtn they should all know the risk's if they are real mountain climbers and for the richy rich's they have no business going up there anyhow. So it's darwinism at it's best. But what peeves me is the slave labor the sherpas deal with and the fact all the arseholes just leave the O2 bottles, old tents, and whatever else they don't want to pack out for someone else to take care of.
LongStoryShort

PostPosted: 8/22/2006, 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

jkern15674 wrote:
I could care less bout [sic] all the people who die on that mtn [sic] they should all know the risk's [sic] if they are real mountain climbers and for the richy rich's [sic] they have no business going up there anyhow. So it's darwinism at it's [sic] best. But what peeves me is the slave labor the sherpas deal with and the fact all the arseholes just leave the O2 bottles, old tents, and whatever else they don't want to pack out for someone else to take care of.

A lot of awesome climbers have died on that mountain, some of the best in the world even.

As for the rich people that go up there and make it, who says they don't have the right? They have the money to pay for it.

That is also how the Sherpas make money.

I agree that there is too much trash up there, inexperience climbers, etc. You just made some illogical blanket statements.
jkern15674

PostPosted: 8/25/2006, 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Ya The sherpas make money but so do the kids in the NIKE factory in Tiawan?? The pro's know the risks and choose to put themselves in that situation again and again. They know it's a crap shoot with there lives and if you choose to play the game then death may cometh. Richy rich heads up thinking the "guide" will summit them and get them down safely. By clogging up the routes they endanger other people. Would you want to be stuck on a route with the somebody that had the money but little experience on a route?? so yes if you are rich spend it on whatever you want but don't endanger others> Was the darwinism comment the illogical part??
threedogz

PostPosted: 8/25/2006, 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

i read the book, i have the mt. everest documentary as well on DVD.

I think I will check out this article...

When I hiked Mt. Washington a month ago, I was reading about all the people who perished on or near the top, it was just a reminder how mother nature needs to be respected and taken seriously.
BoyNhisDog
The dangerous place where the winds meet

PostPosted: 8/26/2006, 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

National Geo Adventure had a very similar 10 years after article as well. They included this deadly year. I forget which issue but it was in the last few.
ck1

PostPosted: 8/26/2006, 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I've read both the National Geo Adv and Outside articles...Outside's coverage is much better, but that could be due to their coverage 10 years ago...they sent Krakaur to the mountain....he wrote Into Thin Air, which previewed in the magazine. The follow up reports on the survivors from 96 were very interesting.

The issue isn't so much wealthy adventures, in fact the two most covered deaths this season were both independent climbers who paid bottom dollar to get the permit to climb, and base camp support. Neither of the two paid more than $9000.00. They went to E with no support, no Sherpa, No radio, etc. I see that as more of a problem than the wealthier people who shell out $50,000.00 plus to be guided. You get what you pay for. The Sherpa people continue to benefit from the support of the climbing community, which recognizes the key role the Sherpa play. Climbers like Conrad Anker and Hillary have opened and funded schools both for climbing Sherpas but also the Sherpa childern.

Likewise, the trash issue has been addressed drastically over the past 10 years. There is now a yearly expedition, funded in part by many of the guide companies, in which the sole purpose is to clean up base camp and the higher camps. In fact, one company turns the spent oxygen bottles into art http://www.bellsfromeverest.com/, while another company recycles and refills the oxygen bottles. (this particular company has come under fire as one of the dead used the reused oxygen tanks and had problems).

Everest is no longer the domain of the wealthy.

Likewise, stupidity and poor preparation is not synonymous with wealth.

"The Journey is the Destination"
azhiker96

PostPosted: 8/26/2006, 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm glad they are working on the trash issue. I had thought they should charge a little extra for the permits to fund trash removal. I wish they'd also pull off the bodies that are easily accessable.

I doubt that I'll ever go to Everest. There are too many other priorities on my list of places to go.
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 8/26/2006, 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:

I wish they'd also pull off the bodies that are easily accessable.

I don't really think anywhere on Everest is considered easily accessible.
azhiker96

PostPosted: 8/26/2006, 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I was thinking about the ones along the established routes such as Green Boots. I wouldn't expect them to do any searches for those who have disappeared or scale cliffs to reach known but virtually impossible to reach bodies.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 8/27/2006, 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Do some people think climbing Everest is fun? Or most of them the type of people who just have to have a challenge, have to be able to tell other people "I climbed Everest"? It just doesn't look fun to me.

If it isn't fun, why do it?

As for paying a lot of money, an acquaintance of mine recently paid out a lot of money to a guide service to climb Aconcagua in South America. He trained really hard for it for over a year, but when he got there the group was slowed down by all the other paying customers who didn't train hard enough, so he didn't get to summit, although it would have been quite do-able for him.

In answer to the original question, I have read the recent Outside article, and I read the original article and book by Krakauer as well.
threedogz

PostPosted: 8/27/2006, 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Everest doesn't look fun at all. However I get a kick out of reading all the stories of the insane people who think it's fun and worth the risk.
LongStoryShort

PostPosted: 8/27/2006, 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

There are some monster athletes out there (Viesturs, Messner) and my hat goes off to them.

I believe Messner is the only person to do a solo ascent from the north face of Everest with no oxygen.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: