ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Harvest time again in Payson.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Flora & Fauna Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Al_HikesAZ

PostPosted: 7/25/2006, 8:51 pm    Post subject: Harvest time again in Payson. Reply to topic Reply with quote

Stay alert around Payson.

http://www.paysonroundup.com/section/frontpage_lead/story/24322

Quote:
Marijuana field raided Plants had $7 million street value

By Max Foster, Roundup staff reporter Friday, July 14, 2006

Boy Scouts spending the week at Camp Geronimo, north of Payson, awoke Tuesday morning to see heavily armed officers and SWAT team members parading through their camp.

Gila County Narcotics Task Force photo[img][/img]

A marijuana growing field, found near Camp Geronimo, was about three acres in size and contained 8,000 plants 3 to 4 feet in height.

"They were peeking out of their tents," one of the officers said. "I can't imagine what they must have been thinking."

The 40-member law enforcement team, led by the Gila County Narcotics Task Force, U.S. Forest Service officers and Arizona Department of Public Safety, were bound for a secluded site about one mile northwest of the camp where a marijuana field had been discovered. The officers surrounded the camp and eventually flushed out two growers who attempted to flee on foot.

"They ran directly into one of the elements of our SWAT team," a GCNTF undercover agent said. "They didn't resist (arrest) much."

The two, Jesus Mejia, 25, and his brother Gabriel Mejia, 19, were arrested, interviewed and booked into the Payson Gila County Jail where they remain. Both were charged with conspiracy to manufacture marijuana and possession of marijuana. Agents say neither spoke English and both were Mexican nationals in the country illegally.

Scottsdale resident Alston Neal who was camping on Milk Ranch Point with his wife witnessed the raid and subsequent arrests.

"We could see the (marijuana) fields and the command center," he said. "Early in the morning about 15 or 16 vehicles came in and then the helicopter arrived.

"(Officers) did warn us there could be gunfire and to watch for suspicious persons," he said. "We decided to stay.

"When the raid was over, they talked to us and we learned what had happened," Neal said. "It was all very exciting."

The marijuana field originally caught agents attention last winter when a hiker reported seeing what he thought was a potential site. Since then, agents have periodically set up surveillance on the area.

"When we found it was occupied, it was time to go in," an undercover agent said.

The actual growing field, about three acres in size, contained about 8,000 plants that were midway through maturity, and scattered 10 to 15 feet apart. The plants, which agents say had an Arizona street value of over $7 million, were uprooted and flown by helicopter to a burning site. Some plants were kept as evidence.

Also participating in the raid on the camp were officers from the Drug Enforcement Administration, Arizona Game and Fish Department and Gila County Sheriff's Office.

Last year's raids

Raiding a marijuana-growing field near the highly popular Boy Scout camp was nothing new for drug agents.

In June 2005, a tip from hikers led narcotic agents to a 5,000-plant marijuana field north of the camp at the base of the Mogollon Rim.

Before the agents arrived, the growers fled the area.

"That's the way it usually is. If anyone discovers them, they abandon (the marijuana garden) right away," an undercover GCNTF agent said after the raid.

Last summer and fall, agents conducted seven raids in Tonto and Coconino National Forests in which they eradicated 110,939 marijuana plants with a street value of more that $200 million.

Following the largest raid in August at Calf Pen Canyon near Fossil Creek Wilderness, agents eradicated about 20,000 pot plants, many of which were six feet in height.

Following each of last summer's raid, Gila County Sheriff John Armer issued a warning to hikers and hunters.

"Be cautious and vigilant out there," the sheriff said after a Aug. 15, 2005 incident south of Payson in which illegal growers fired shots at bear hunters who accidentally discovered their growing fields.

"If you happen to stumble on a grow, remove yourself immediately, avoid any contact with those tending these gardens and report them to the authorities," Armer said.

Anyone finding a suspected marijuana garden should report it by calling (928) 474-0728.

Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 7/25/2006, 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

A bit unrealated but I get a kick out of it. Nothing against the wonder people of Payson, but 3 years ago when we first moved here my wife was tasked with opening up the new Blockbuster Video up there. In the hiring process they do a record check on all the applicants. She said more than 1/2 of the people have felony type records and were un-hireable. The funny one was a Mom, Dad, and Son all applied and each of them had criminal records.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 7/26/2006, 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

This is just an example of the huge and shameful waste of taxpayer dollars on cop toys, swat teams and the like. If drugs were legal not only could the govt. collect taxes on their sale but there would be far less incentive for the black market, and therefore less of the residual criminal activity such as drive-bys and other types of violent activity.

The street values quoted by the cops are almost always way too high.

The drug dealers love "the war on drugs" because it serves to add to the value of the drugs. The more the govt. tries to crack down on drugs the more they are worth on the black market. This in turn encourages more people to try to sell them.

As for the people of Payson, I guess I had thought most of them were retirees. Now that's interesting, what you said, Tim.

As for the Mexican guys who got caught with the garden, how much you wanna bet they were paid laborers? I'll bet that garden actually belonged to someone else, who didn't get caught. Kind of dumb to plant that many plants in one small area, but hey, if you hire some poor schmucks to take care of it then you can let them take the fall if it's discovered. (On reading further, a linked article, I find I am correct in my assumption.)

The people of Arizona have three times voted for medical marijuana, and have four times signed petitions for it to be on the ballot (petitions were thrown out the last time.) The state legislature keeps overthrowing the will of the people on this issue. 13 states, last I heard, had medical marijuana. What's the big deal? In Oregon you get the Rx from a doctor, you can grow a few plants in your yard. It may be against federal law, but the local cops won't bother you.

I shall hereby step down from my soapbox. Mr. Green
ghoster

PostPosted: 7/26/2006, 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

War on drugs equals confiscation which goes to the PD that makes the bust, so it is a for profit business on both sides. Think they will give up this cash cow? Read the wednesday edition of USA today to see the confiscations for the week in the US, it goes for pages and itemizes the items seized from cash to farms and houses, cars, etc. Pretty obvious that our country loves the term war. But can't seem to win many these days. Perhaps a little intelligent choosing of which battles to fight and then we might win some. Legalizing and taxing Marijuana might make it less profitable for these guys and create some income for our cash strapped state and country. But that idea has been around a long time. No change for the current time it looks like. The illegal crop produces something like 20 billion a year in profit for the dealers that is an estimate, but still a sizeable chunk of change.
Sande J
Calamity J

PostPosted: 7/27/2006, 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hmmm, interesting. Since I will be up there on a horse in the backcountry this week I had better double check his grazing area. Could probably haul a bit of it out as well. Wink Wink Wink
DesertDog

PostPosted: 7/27/2006, 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

How many people (rhetorical question) avoid the use of marijuana as a recreational drug only because it is illegal?

The lobbyists for the massive alcohol industry are not about to let this competition come to pass, regardless of popular opinion.

Who are politicians listening to- their constituents, or those who fund their campaigns? Rolling Eyes
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 7/28/2006, 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Possibly there aren't enough constituents out there who actually understand all the ramifications of this issue. There are so many of our fellow citizens who do not have well-developed critical thinking skills, nor do they do a lot of research to back up their beliefs. They subscribe to the right/wrong, yes/no, black/white school of thought. (I wonder if life is easier for them.)

This brings me back to why we ought to scrap the AIMS test and spend more time teaching kids to write. We are going to raise a generation of kids with this AIMS test thing who can't examine a topic from all sides, can't think critically, unless they learn it from their parents.

By the way, it's 6:20 a.m. here in Eagar and we are in the middle of one hellacious thunderstorm! Holy cow! I guess I won't do my bike ride this morning!
Cynhikr

PostPosted: 8/4/2006, 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yet again.... "the world is going to pot...

Woman finds 30,000-plus plants growing in Tonto National Forest

Lindsey Collom
The Arizona Republic
Aug. 4, 2006 12:00 AM

TONTO NATIONAL FOREST - Authorities say a woman scattering her mother's ashes in Tonto National Forest stumbled upon what could be the largest marijuana farm ever found in Arizona.

More than 30,000 marijuana plants cover the slopes of a canyon about 20 miles east of Payson. The crop was growing on what investigators said was a 2-year-old operation hidden beneath a canopy of thorny locust trees.

At least four workers nurtured the plants from seedlings to maturity, with some plants growing as tall as 9 feet, authorities said. The workers constructed a sophisticated irrigation system to funnel creek water through half-inch pipes to the garden below, using valves to regulate the flow of water.

"They put a lot of time and effort into these, and I'm sure it just killed them to leave it behind," said Lt. Kirk Bryce of the Department of Public Safety in Flagstaff.

Bryce said nobody has been apprehended in connection with the pot farm.

Arizona authorities have shut down five marijuana gardens on state lands so far this year. In 2005, there were seven major busts that yielded a total of 220,000 pounds of pot with a street value of about $110 million, authorities said.

Rim country has been home to most of the crops. It's rugged, remote, blanketed in forest and teeming with streams, making it "an accommodating host to marijuana trafficking," DPS Sgt. Jack Johnson Jr. said.

Those conditions are similar to other state lands, and the problem is not exclusive to Arizona. Across the nation, growers are utilizing state lands to cultivate marijuana plants, said Robin L. Poague, special agent in charge of the U.S. Forest Service southwest region.

Marijuana is relatively easy to grow. All it needs is soil, water, indirect sunlight and a warm climate.

DPS officials said this week's crop was worth at least $30 million in the Arizona market, perhaps double or triple in central and eastern parts of the country. If the plants had made it to harvest, which was five to seven weeks out, the yield would have been distributed to metropolitan cities nationwide, Bryce said.

The pot farm covered half a mile, its southernmost edge a 30-minute hike from Tonto Creek Fish Hatchery, a tourist attraction. A team of Drug Enforcement Administration agents spent most of Thursday plucking plants from the earth.

A helicopter took the bundles to be burned about four miles south of the field. Authorities could have the field cleared by the end of the weekend.

DPS officials had been watching the field since May 30. Officers attempted to arrest three workers last week but a fog set in, making their escape possible.

The workers were long gone Thursday, but traces of them remained. A shrine of dried flowers and pictures of the Virgin of Guadalupe sat beneath a locust tree close to the crop. The place where they held camp a short climb away was littered with food and trash. There was an abandoned tent and sleeping bags, and several black socks hung from a branch next to a pair of jeans.

Local authorities have arrested two people this year in connection with growing operations. Those men, both undocumented immigrants, were detained last month during a marijuana field raid near Skunk Creek, north of Phoenix. They told authorities they tended to the 8,000 plants as repayment for being smuggled across the border, according to DPS.DPS Director Roger Vanderpool said Mexican drug cartels have been behind the pot farms in recent years and aren't afraid to resort to brute measures.

Forest Service employees have warned hikers to beware of marijuana operations, which are often manned by armed guards.

"They will do whatever it takes to protect their product," Vanderpool said. "Will it get more violent? Yeah. These folks don't know whether you're a citizen hiking, law enforcement or a rival drug dealer trying to take the crop."

Meanwhile, Forest Service officials also worry about the damage to the ecosystem.

Poague said it could take years for the land to recover from damage inflicted by the pot growers.

"I wonder what ole' Ben would've thought of the TSA and photo-radar?" -- cynhikr
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Flora & Fauna All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: