ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Watching the Salt River, Real-time Data
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 7/31/2006, 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Oh, this is sweet! Thank you so much for the great photos! (I hope that's not your car!) I put in a new post about the Rillito with a link to the AZ Daily Star website. Any more photos you have time to add on there would be really neat. I just love this! Wish I were there to see it, although I well recollect flood of '93 (wasn't there for the '83 flood, though.)
BoyNhisDog
The dangerous place where the winds meet

PostPosted: 7/31/2006, 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I saw both floods and after each, there was a lot of mesquite still on root balls to be cut down there for firewood. They don't like you to go in and do that as they would rather haul it to the dump. I have a silent 6' crosscut though. I can't wait to see what remains when the waters recede.

That car was in the condos just SE of the river/Swan intersection. It is amazing how little water is takes to float a small car and they got more than needed. They don't float long though.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 7/31/2006, 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I lived for 10 years at Vista Del Norte mobile home park on Limberlost between Mountain and 1st Ave. (the one with all the huge eucalyptus trees.) We used to talk about the possibility of the Rillito overrunning its banks and flooding our home.

There was an office building on 1st Ave. by the bridge in '83. My neighbor told me that during the flood the cops gave the tenants just a few minutes to get their valuables out of their offices. A crowd of people stood and watched as the Rillito undermined the bldg. and some guy was making book on what time the bldg. would go into the river. I saw footage of it on TV one time--it slowly started listing riverward and then finally fell in. Someone made a couple hundred bucks that night on the bets, my neighbor said.

Another neighbor witnessed a similar incident with a condo bldg falling in near Country Club Rd. He said it was a pretty upscale one, and as it fell he could see grand pianos and sofas and lamps and tables and beds starting to slide, breaking the windows and falling in the river, with the bldg. falling in after them. He also told me he watched whole mobile homes floating downstream, roofs of houses and dead horses and cows.

Now that it's been "tamed" a bit it will take a lot more water to create such scenes as those!
jkern15674

PostPosted: 7/31/2006, 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

The Salt is now over 16,500cfs. Holy Cow. That's bigger than the Colorado on most days. And the biggest it's been in a while.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 8/1/2006, 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yeah, amazing isn't it? This morning the Upper Salt (Chrysotyle station) is at 9,000+. Yesterday it was at about 1,000. Much above 2,000 in that section it's not runnable, at least that's what I'm told. So right now it's not runnable, I guess.

I still haven't had those kayaking lessons! I have tried to email several instructors I was told about, but got no replies. Anyone with CURRENT info on someone who can teach Eskimo roll please pm me. (Canyons and Coastlines is outdated and not being kept up.) I could go to Phoenix or Tucson. Or up here, but I don't think there is one up here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: