ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Question for computer guru's! Help!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Off-Trail Area Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andy

PostPosted: 7/13/2006, 1:24 pm    Post subject: Question for computer guru's! Help! Reply to topic Reply with quote

What other options besides going to a Mac is there for operating systems. I am sick of Windows! Are there any OS's that will allow the same software as windows?

http://community.webshots.com/album/136917818udlQWZ
mike
What box?

PostPosted: 7/13/2006, 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Depends on what you mean by "same software". Other than Mac, the next best choice might be Linspire. It's linux based, so there's lots of software out there you can run on it. If you're needing Microsoft Office type software, you can run OpenOffice. If you want to run software developed specifically to run on Windows, you could install Wine.
kurthzone
Thread Killer

PostPosted: 7/13/2006, 2:34 pm    Post subject: ubuntu Reply to topic Reply with quote

Andy, this is a popular one and would most likely work on your box. not sure if it will support all the software you are using. I use a Mac and I have no complaints.
http://www.ubuntu.com/
Andy

PostPosted: 7/13/2006, 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses! I use a lot of astronomy software designed for windows. no Office kind of stuff. mostly camera control and image processing. and of course internet access. and I also have a network here and my wife must use windows so I guess my next question is will any of these work together with windows over the network? Or will it even matter?

kurthzone
Thread Killer

PostPosted: 7/13/2006, 2:42 pm    Post subject: More info Reply to topic Reply with quote

Another thought. As alternative operating systems become more and more popular (many linux systems are doing just that) the better the chances of major applications being ported to said OS. Mac OS X runs on Unix Free BSD. KEWL, Eh?
Andy

PostPosted: 7/13/2006, 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: ubuntu Reply to topic Reply with quote

kurthzone wrote:
Andy, this is a popular one and would most likely work on your box. not sure if it will support all the software you are using. I use a Mac and I have no complaints.

700 mb download so it will be awhile before I can say how it works! Wink

GTG
Was lost but now am found

PostPosted: 7/13/2006, 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: ubuntu Reply to topic Reply with quote

Andy wrote:
kurthzone wrote:

I have a case of these install disks in standard and 64 bit if you're interested, I can mail you one tomorrow.

GTG
wanderingsoul

PostPosted: 7/13/2006, 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

OK you knowledgable Geeks.... I have a couple of questions. Since my old machine just stopped again, I guess it is time for me to try to pretend I know what I'm doing and play with the old machine and set it up with a Linux type base system. What would you say the difference is in ubuntu vs say Red Hat???
Also what would the sys requirements need to be to load. My old machine ran Win 98. So I may need to replace the mother board and stuff to upgrade it. Don't know what I actually have in there, I'll have to check my old paperwork for specs.
Never messed with any internal stuff (Mother Board, memory etc) so this should be quite a learning experience. Figure I can't break it as it is already broke, right?? Besides I want to load Oracle to play with and would prefer to use a Unix type base OS for that.

Positive Thinking Is the Spark that Makes Dreams Happen~~~Unknown
IGO

PostPosted: 7/13/2006, 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm getting a brand new one really soon. I need horsepower for digital image editing.
"Surely all God's people, however serious or savage, great or small, like to play. Whales and elephants, dancing, humming gnats, and invisibly small mischievous microbes - all are warm with divine radium and must have lots of fun in them." John Muir
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 7/13/2006, 11:09 pm    Post subject: Re: ubuntu Reply to topic Reply with quote

GTG wrote:
I have a case of these install disks in standard and 64 bit if you're interested, I can mail you one tomorrow.

Dude, bring along a few of those disks at the next shindig. I'd like to check it out.

As a side note to all you folks, your older hardware will probably be less problematic running Linux than the newer hardware. Will run pretty snappy too. I think you'll be surprised.
Andy

PostPosted: 7/15/2006, 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: ubuntu Reply to topic Reply with quote

GTG wrote:
Andy wrote:
kurthzone wrote:

GTG

Thanks! It took all day yesterday to get it to work. I burned it three times before it worked! Yes I would like to get one! Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Off-Trail Area All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: