ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Sea Level Pressure

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
ck1

PostPosted: 8/17/2003, 10:56 pm    Post subject: Sea Level Pressure Reply to topic Reply with quote

Anyone know how I can find the Sea Level Pressure for this area (mesa)...is there a website?

I haven't had any luck in my looking...

"The Journey is the Destination"
mike
What box?

PostPosted: 8/17/2003, 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

http://iwin.nws.noaa.gov/iwin/AZ/hourly.html Wink
bzachar

PostPosted: 8/17/2003, 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Falcon Field: http://weather.noaa.gov/weather/current/KFFZ.html
Williams Gateway: http://weather.noaa.gov/weather/current/KIWA.html

Bill
ck1

PostPosted: 8/18/2003, 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

OK...thanks!

I'm learning the difference b/w sea level pressure and barometric pressure...I think I need to take a class.

bzachar

PostPosted: 8/19/2003, 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Sea-level pressure:The atmospheric pressure for a given location if it (the location) were at mean sea level.

Typically barometric pressure refers to the actual atmospheric pressure at the location's altitude.

Using sea level pressure at all locations provides a constant yardstick which removes any differences caused by the different altitudes of the stations.

Bill
ck1

PostPosted: 8/20/2003, 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

So is the sea level pressure a more accurate read?

Daddee
I once was a slug.

PostPosted: 8/21/2003, 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:

So is the sea level pressure a more accurate read?

I wouldn't say more accurate - just more useful in comparative data. If you compare the average barometric pressure of Flagstaff to Houston, you wouldn't get much in the way of useful data. However, if you adjusted the data to sea-level pressure, then you could compare the data more and get meaningful results.

It's kind of linke using z scores in statistics. I can't compare socio-economic data directly with age related data, the numbers would mean nothing in relation to each other (i could correlate them - but that's not the same thing as comparing them). However, I can recuce the data down to their essential variations compare them directly.

"...haven't you lived long enough to know that two men may honestly differ about a question and both be right?"
- Abraham Lincoln
bzachar

PostPosted: 8/21/2003, 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Colin,
I was going to write a post about pressure vs. altitude and was searching for the rate of pressure change per unit of altitude. I found it in an article that explains all this pretty well. I copied a section of it below.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Air pressure corrections

When you read a barometer the reading directly from it is the "station pressure."

Two things affect the barometer's reading, the high or low air pressure caused by weather systems, and the air pressure caused by the station's elevation, or how high it is above sea level.

No matter what weather systems are doing, the air's pressure decreases with height. If you're trying to draw a weather map of air pressure patterns, you need a way to remove the effects of the station's elevation. That is, you want to see what the pressure would be at the station if it were at sea level. Otherwise, all high-elevation locations would be mapped as having low pressure.

You need to calculate, sea-level pressure, which is defined as: "A pressure value obtained by the theoretical reduction of barometric pressure to sea level. Where the Earth's surface is above sea level, it is assumed that the atmosphere extends to sea level below the station and that the properties of that hypothetical atmosphere are related to conditions observed at the station."

To do this, you have to take into account the barometric reading at the station, the elevation above sea level, and the temperature.

Another kind of barometric reading is the altimeter setting, which aircraft use. It's defined as: "The pressure value to which an aircraft altimeter scale is set so that it will indicate the altitude above mean sea level of an aircraft on the ground at the location for which the value was determined." For it, all you need is the station pressure and the elevation, you can ignore the temperature. (Related: Calculate altimeter setting).

How pressure decreases with altitude

As you go higher in the air, the atmospheric pressure decreases.

The exact pressure at a particular altitude depends of weather conditions, but a couple of rules of thumb (approximations) and a formula give you a general idea of how pressure decreases with altitude.

A rule of thumb for the altimeter correction is that the pressure drops about 1 inch of mercury for each 1,000 foot altitude gain. If you're using millibars, the correction is 1 millibar for each 8 meters of altitude gain. These rules of thumb work pretty well for elevations or altitudes of less than a two or three thousand feet.

The standard atmosphere is a table giving values of air pressure, temperature, and air density for various altitudes from the ground up. You can think of these values as averages for the entire Earth over the course of a year. (Related: Standard atmosphere tables).

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Accuracy is a function of the instrument being used to measure the pressure.

HTH,
Bill
ck1

PostPosted: 8/23/2003, 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

That was helpful Bill...here's the deal...I've owned my Suunto Advisor wristwatch for a few years now and have been able to use all the bells and whistles (hr monitor, altimeter log, compass, etc)...I'm learning how to use the barometer functions..

Thanks for the info!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: