ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Cibeque Creek

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Campgrounds & Road Conditions Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gordon Dean Bathel

PostPosted: 6/28/2006, 2:00 pm    Post subject: Cibeque Creek Reply to topic Reply with quote

Has anyone spent time going down or up Cibeque Creek. How much water can I expect?

Thanks,
Dean Bathel
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 6/28/2006, 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Probably just a trickle this year. Have you contacted the tribe for info and permit?
Cynhikr

PostPosted: 6/28/2006, 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I've been upstream from the Salt quite a few times.
Unless it is, or has recently, rained, you should be golden this time of year - say about calf deep in most spots below the falls (there are, of course, deeper pools to be found as well).
Above the first falls (about 1.5/2 miles of rock-hopping & creek-splashing in) you theoretically need an Apache guide (read $$$$). Otherwise a permit bought from that store just past the Salt bridge will suffice.
If you are agile, it is a free climb up above this falls. (the route is actually back about 150' from the falls on creek left). When returning, you may also down-climb the same route, but you may prefer to jump into the creek in a pool just after the falls to expedite matters.

Have fun & be safe!

"I wonder what ole' Ben would've thought of the TSA and photo-radar?" -- cynhikr
Gordon Dean Bathel

PostPosted: 6/30/2006, 4:22 pm    Post subject: Cibecue Creek Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks Cynhikr, your info was quite valuable. I like to hike canyons and if there are any trout I might get a fly wet. By the way, I contacted the tribe about any trout in the creek and they stated they only stock at the town of Cibecue and that the creek above town is closed off. Evidently after the fire 3 yrs ago they want the creek to stabilize. Did you see any stray trout closer to Salt River Canyon as your were going up? Browns can take warmer water.

Again, thanks.

Dean Bathel
Cynhikr

PostPosted: 7/5/2006, 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I've not looked for any trout, but have not seen any that are evident; at least to me.
Below the town of Cibeque, the water gets pretty nasty, as in pollutants and trash from the town. For drinking, take as much "city" water as possible and then boil/treat any drinking water from Cibeque thoroughly.

Enjoy! It's a beautiful canyon!

"I wonder what ole' Ben would've thought of the TSA and photo-radar?" -- cynhikr
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Campgrounds & Road Conditions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: