ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
CD Graphics Software

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Off-Trail Area Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
CatValet
Got Gear?

PostPosted: 8/13/2003, 11:52 am    Post subject: CD Graphics Software Reply to topic Reply with quote

Since acquiring a cd burner a while back, I've often thought of getting one of those software programs so you can prepare labels for discs and the colorful inserts to go inside the jewel cases. That would look better than hand labeling with a Sharpie. I looked at one last night at Best Buy (all the Frys are a bazillion miles from me) for $20, and was wondering if any of you tekkies have a suggestion as to which software is better.

When I worked at a place with full time graphic artists, they used Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop. I don't want to learn THAT much, I still use a ten-key to do the math for my excel spreadsheets (although I have finally mastered auto-sum) so my abilities are somewhat limited.

I tend to have traumas with an exacto knife, so I'd prefer something that prints on preformatted labels, so hand cutting with sharp instruments or running with scissors is avoided.

GTG, Mike, Stan, Cakewalk, any of you have advice? Oh, yes, PC not Mac. Thx- R
cakewalk

PostPosted: 8/13/2003, 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Im a handscribe with a sharpie guy.

But you can buy blank labels as well as pre-decorated.

Neither Word nor publisher has a round cd label format.

A company called " neato " has a pretty descent kit including a program called " mediaface4 "

Here is a link
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 8/13/2003, 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

My suggestion would be to eleviate the lable step completely and buy a four hundred CD CD changer! No need for cases just store them in your CD changer! That's what we have done and it works real well! Just sit with your remote and change CD's from the couch!

I want to shine!
mike
What box?

PostPosted: 8/13/2003, 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

What software are you using to burn the cd's? Most of that type software contains utilities for creating the cd labels and jewelbox inserts. If you're using MusicMatch Jukebox to burn music cd's, for example, you can create labels and inserts, with artwork, text and song lists.
CatValet
Got Gear?

PostPosted: 8/13/2003, 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Something called B's Recorder Gold 5, it must have come with the CD burner. Was hoping to find smething that printed precut labels, presized inserts, no thinking required....

I think the NEATO stuff cakewalk mentioned was what I saw at BB.
mike
What box?

PostPosted: 8/13/2003, 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Never heard of it, but I did a search and mainly found Japanese and German sites. The one English site I saw had a bad review.

Check out MusicMatch Jukebox. The full version is only about $20. It burns music cd's, data cd's and even dvd. The website is, http://www.musicmatch.com/home.htm
GTG
Was lost but now am found

PostPosted: 8/13/2003, 11:01 pm    Post subject: labels and such Reply to topic Reply with quote

A while back Hooli told me to cut letters out of tinfoil and spell out my CD label with the aluminum letters. His recommended cook time was twenty five seconds at one third power, unless I was labeling multiple CD's.
Code:
EndObligatoryPickOnOutOfTownHooli

I have used the CD Stomper pack from CostCo with success.

GTG
CatValet
Got Gear?

PostPosted: 8/14/2003, 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hoolie told me that aproach too. but, after the baking, the cd was all curly and wouldn't fit in the slot. Besides, the Play-Dough went everywhere Crazy
mike
What box?

PostPosted: 8/14/2003, 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Here's a handy "Martha Stewart" tip to dress up those cd's! Get a bottle of glitter and a tube of Elmer's Glue. Using the glue, write out the name and any cute designs you want on the cd, then pour the glitter onto the glue. Wait for the glue to dry, dump off the excess glitter and PRESTO... you have a nice decorative CD label!!! Shades
GTG
Was lost but now am found

PostPosted: 8/14/2003, 10:31 am    Post subject: another handy tip and such Reply to topic Reply with quote

Another handy tip:
Use the awl attachment on your Swiss Army knife to scratch your initials in the shiny side of your CD's so they won't get mixed in with other people's CD's at party's or while camping. Cool
GTG
CatValet
Got Gear?

PostPosted: 8/14/2003, 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Awl Raaaht, now we're gittin' somewhere.... Goat
desertgirl

PostPosted: 8/14/2003, 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Mike wrote:
Here's a handy "Martha Stewart" tip to dress up those cd's! Get a bottle of glitter and a tube of Elmer's Glue. Using the glue, write out the name and any cute designs you want on the cd, then pour the glitter onto the glue. Wait for the glue to dry, dump off the excess glitter and PRESTO... you have a nice decorative CD label!!! Shades
and then you pop the CD in & nothing happens......and you go and buy a new CD drive .... Wink

OR

30$ and look for Avery product packages that give you some formatting software which allow you to add graphics and comes with pre punched label that allow you to make a very cool/prefessional looking CD labels and jewel case inserts etc (I will post the name when I get home). Best Buy or Office Max should carry this or some thing similar that works just as well ..GTG mentions Costco products --

On the other hand -- I would consider the amount of ink your color inkjet will spend on these labels (Colorful graphics will suck your cartridges dry real fast).....Sharpies are quite economical!!!
cakewalk

PostPosted: 8/14/2003, 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

The last time I tried to run a cd thru my printer, it got stuck, and I heard some crunching sounds....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Off-Trail Area All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: