ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Whats Next?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Off-Trail Area Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
cakewalk

PostPosted: 7/31/2003, 9:52 pm    Post subject: Whats Next? Reply to topic Reply with quote

Let's see... we have had Beta, then VHS, then Compact Disk and now DVD.

Where do you think we will go next? Will it get better than DVD?

My theory is that we will have something without moving parts. Like a cartridge similar to the N64 games, that will have enough memory to hold audio/video. They would be difficult / expensive to copy and could eliminate the whole piracy issue.

Movies on a chip... What do you think?
tempe8

PostPosted: 7/31/2003, 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I was in Frys Electronics the other night picking up some USB memory sticks for work. The real shocker was that you could get a 1Gb USB memory stick for $200. I remember just 2 years ago that if you had 1Gb in an engineering workstation that was powerful...now you can dangle it on a keychain.

So yes, I think you're right, more memory will lead to plug n play entertainment. Just think, audio is pretty much there with portable MP3, video can't be too far behind.
evenstar

PostPosted: 7/31/2003, 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Try SACD....Super Audio CD.....sampling rate is 250,000 per second as opposed to 48; frequency range is 5 t0 100,000 hrz. And you can get multi channel SACD's that equal the 5.1 of Dolby Digital. I have Miles Davis Kind of Blue in Multichannel and it's awesome; same for Earth Wind and Fire in concert. 1812 Overture's cannon are to your right, left, behind and in front of you.....individually!
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
Daryl

PostPosted: 8/1/2003, 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I think tempe8 hit the nail on the head. As the small memory sticks hold more and more data, manufacturers will make cameras/recorders/players to take advantage of the technology. Much like what happened with MP3s.
Imagine being able to copy a couple of movies on to your "keychain" and plugging it into your cell phone/palm pilot/portable memory stick player... to watch while traveling!
I once was a slug.

PostPosted: 8/1/2003, 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:
They would be difficult / expensive to copy and could eliminate the whole piracy issue.

I don't think that will ever be the case. Hackers are clever people. They take any kind of security measures as a sort of challenge. There have been several publicized attempts by companies to tout supposedly "unbreakable" security. They throw the gauntlet down and the hacker community busts it wide open in a matter of days (sometimes only hours).

Hardware is no exception. Heck they even recently created a mod chip to allow the X-box to run as a Linux server.

Quote:
Imagine being able to copy a couple of movies on to your "keychain" and plugging it into your cell phone/palm pilot/portable memory stick player... to watch while traveling!

This is closer to happening than you might believe. The IBM microdrive (used as SmartMedia cards - just slightly larger than a quarter) can already store up to 4 gigs of information, and are being used prolifically in Digital Camcorders. That is already the amount of data stored on a DVD disk - so theoretically you could already port several dozen movies in a space the size of a DVD movie jacket. But the technology is still pricy so nobody is doing that yet.

It's awfully hard to predict the direction technology will go even as far as 5 years in the future. Bill gates thought CDs would be the future of computing as late as 1995 - right as the internet was taking off, and we can all see how wrong he was. The only thing you can predict for sure is that whatever exists now (even bleeding edge technology) will be cheaper and faster in the future.

But what new technology will come along and be even cheaper and faster? Some clever bloke is always thinking up new and better ways to do something.

5 years ago the idea of Magnetic RAM was just a theoretical possibility. Today it is in production. What do you think will happen to storage capacity and speed if we can manipulate things at an atomic level? (as small as things are today, we're still very much operating at a macro level with materials - we're not down to individual atoms, not by a long shot)

"Atomic" (today we call the quantum) computers were first theorized by Richard Feynman in the late 70's. Today quantum computers are a practical possibility (theoretically provable) - who knows what will happen in another 30 years?

"...haven't you lived long enough to know that two men may honestly differ about a question and both be right?"
- Abraham Lincoln
Daryl

PostPosted: 8/1/2003, 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm looking forward to the day where we all have mini nuclear reactors in our basements.

PostPosted: 8/1/2003, 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Daryl wrote:
I'm looking forward to the day where we all have mini nuclear reactors in our basements.

What? You don't have one yet? yoyo They're great fun!
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
cakewalk

PostPosted: 8/1/2003, 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Daddee wrote:
[Hardware is no exception. Heck they even recently created a mod chip to allow the X-box to run as a Linux server.

Yeah but your average Joe isnt going to be able to solder in a mod chip... Nor will he have an eprom burner or whatever it will take to copy data from one memory stick to another.... The way they can now just simply download from kazaa.
GTG
Was lost but now am found

PostPosted: 8/2/2003, 12:23 am    Post subject: future Reply to topic Reply with quote

I've said for a few years now that I believe all of our assorted media will be in some solid state type format. Movies, music, all of your files from life, medical records, your computer all in a chip you can carry in a pocket.

GTG
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Off-Trail Area All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: