ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Trail Map of Mt Humphreys

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Orienteering Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
13squared

PostPosted: 4/15/2006, 4:46 pm    Post subject: Trail Map of Mt Humphreys Reply to topic Reply with quote

Has anyone used this map?

http://www.emmittbarks.com/
(the Flagstaff Trails Map)

Does anyone know if it can be found for purchase online and if so, how much does it cost?

Thanks!
Al_HikesAZ

PostPosted: 4/15/2006, 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Trail Map of Mt Humphreys Reply to topic Reply with quote

13squared wrote:
Has anyone used this map?
http://www.emmittbarks.com/
(the Flagstaff Trails Map)

I've never used a map for Humphreys' Summit. You get to the Snowbowl Ski Lodge north of Flagstaff and start from the lower parking lot. The trail is well marked and easy to follow. On weekends during the season there are lots of people on the trail. You head generally east then when you get to the ridge turn north. No GPS signal under most of the forest cover.

If you would like more information (and a basic map) check out
HikeArizona.com at
http://hikearizona.com/decoder.php?ZTN=64
http://hikearizona.com/trails/flagstaff/humphrey/humphreysmap.swf

The toughest part of Humphreys is the high altitude. I suggest staying in Flagstaff the night before to acclimate to the altitude. You should also know the symptoms of altitude sickness so that you know whether you are pushing too hard.

If you have time, the B-24 crash site on Humphreys is interesting. A map and compass (or preferable GPS) is extremely helpful for this.

Another tough part on Humphreys are the "false summits". You think you are almost to the summit then you get there and you see another summit 1/4 mile farther, then you get there and you see another summit 1/4 mile farther, then you get there and . . . you are there. Laughing

ps. - That is a nice looking map if you are into that sort of thing. I've never looked for a map. "Maps! We don't need no stinking maps!"
Al_HikesAZ

PostPosted: 4/15/2006, 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Trail Map of Mt Humphreys Reply to topic Reply with quote

13squared wrote:
Does anyone know if it can be found for purchase online and if so, how much does it cost?

On Emmit Barks' website he lists "Where to Buy". For online he lists Wide World of Maps. I buy topos there and they are very reputable and reliable. Contact them through his website. They have two stores in Phoenix but I'm sure they ship online orders worldwide.
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 4/15/2006, 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I agree on the false summits, fools me every time up there. If there was a lot of snow you may want a map, but you should be ok otherwise. The backside looked like it had a decent amount of snow last weekend but the side the trail is on should be pretty light.
Al_HikesAZ

PostPosted: 4/15/2006, 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

From your questions about buzzworms I saw that you mentioned going this summer. May should be a perfect time to summit Humphreys. There may be some snow on the inner basin, but we haven't had much snow this year so the trail and the ridge should be melted off.

The big problem is later in the summer when Flagstaff gets monsoons. Starting in mid-July(?) and continuing through August, monsoon storms roil up in the afternoon. You really need to hit the trail at (or before) first light to summit and be heading down before the monsoons hit. I've been hit by marble sized hail in July. Even if it is clear in the morning, have rain gear with you. Be very, very familiar with lightning survival techniques. Eek (no metal, crouch like a catcher behind the plate, no caves or overhangs, no trees, no open areas etc). The best lightning survival technique is to be off the mountain before the storms roll in.

The lodge has a sophisticated Doppler radar system. They see all the cells rolling in. They need at least an hour between cells to run tourists up the ski lift to the top of Agassiz and get the tourists back down. If the ski lift isn't running, they probably know something that you should know. Exclamation
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Orienteering All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: