ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Great book- Letters from Wupatki

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Photos, Literature, Art, Websites Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sande J
Calamity J

PostPosted: 7/20/2003, 10:10 pm    Post subject: Great book- Letters from Wupatki Reply to topic Reply with quote

Letters from Wupatki is a collection of letters written by Courtney Reeder Jones from 1938 -1949 describing her experiences while living in the ruin at Wupatki while it was being restored by the NPS and the CCC. Jones and her park ranger husband Davy actually lived in the main ruin of Wupatki which is now part of the visitor center area. Later, the NPS built them a house near the ruins which they moved into eventually and it is still there today. This is an excellent read on Arizona history, the Navajo culture and two young people coming to terms with life in the backcountry. It is accompanied by great photos and even though they had to rough it a bit, it seemed as they fell in love with the beauty and spirituality of the surroundings.
I think I would have loved to have had that experience!
I highly recommend the book, it is excellent!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Photos, Literature, Art, Websites All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: