ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Lost Hikers in the Supes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Off-Trail Area Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arizonaheat
Got Supes Juice?

PostPosted: 7/8/2003, 6:26 pm    Post subject: Lost Hikers in the Supes Reply to topic Reply with quote

Authorities Rescue 13 From Mountain
Visitors from Denmark lost in wilderness

By Jill Jones

The News

SUPERSTITION MOUNTAINS- The Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office (MCSO) and posse successfully rescued thirteen hikers from the Superstition Wilderness last week, eight of the lost hikers were visiting from Denmark.

MCSO received a call around 3:30 on Saturday, June 28, reporting that twelve people were missing and eight of them had limited English skills.

The missing people were visiting from Denmark and, after hiking the Superstitions, were planning to move on to the Grand Canyon. Not all of them will make it to the Grand Canyon, one of them was admitted to an area hospital for severe dehydration and will not make the trip with his companions.

MCSO focused their search on the Weavers Needle and Peralta Trail areas and quickly found four subjects who were in very serious condition, suffering from severe dehydration sickness. The remaining hikers were located two hours later and were air lifted to safety.

According to Robert Cooper of Superstition Search and Rescue, the hikers had adequate water for their planned hike. What the hikers didn’t plan on was getting lost and also having to deal with the added hours in the unrelenting heat.

In addition to the hikers from Denmark, four other people were rescued in the area over the weekend. Two hikers approximately 30 years old, David Nye and David Ampha made a wrong turn on Bluff Springs Loop and became lost. The Department of Public Safety air dropped a paramedic, and after treatment, the men were able to walk out.

Two Scottsdale men in their 30’s lost their way in Coffee Flats. Superstition Search and Rescue (SSR) were able to locate them, dehydrated and exhausted, but they were also able to make their way out under their own power.

On Tuesday, July 1, 31 year-old Kellie Whorley of Nashville, Tennessee, fell while hiking Siphon Draw. Whorley apparently aggravated an old injury to her hip after falling and thought she would have to be air lifted off the trail.

After SSR and an Apache Junction Fire District paramedic attended to her and she was able to rest and rehydrate, she was able to be taken out on a quad.

"When you find someone out there (Superstition Mountain area) at this time of the year, you know they’re in trouble," said Robert Cooper of SSR.
GeorgAz

PostPosted: 7/8/2003, 7:24 pm    Post subject: lost!!!!!!!!!! Reply to topic Reply with quote

It is amazing to me that people go out in this desert without adequate water + not heat seasoned. Even though I have a lot of endurance I haven't spent much time hiking in the summer heat and would really have to hydrate and prepare physically for the challenge. Most Europeans I have met while skiing are in pretty good shape, but I don't think they have any way to prepare for this heat! Folks living here oughta know better! Rolling Eyes
ck1

PostPosted: 7/8/2003, 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yea know what GeorgAz...I'm not amazed anymore...I kinda expect it now... Sad

"The Journey is the Destination"
maryphyl
Grand Canyon Enchantress

PostPosted: 7/9/2003, 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I just figure that if you get enough people doing something dangerous that some of them will get in big trouble. Arizona desert in the summertime is dangerous.
Daddee
I once was a slug.

PostPosted: 7/9/2003, 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:

...I'm not amazed anymore...I kinda expect it now...

Yep. Every summer. Personally I think these people are just a few sandwiches short of a picknick. Who in their right mind wants to go hiking durning the daytime in the Sup's in the middle of summer? That's just asking for trouble no matter who you are. Don't the realize its hotter than hades out there?

"...haven't you lived long enough to know that two men may honestly differ about a question and both be right?"
- Abraham Lincoln
Daryl

PostPosted: 7/9/2003, 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

We got called out to this search but they were found before we got there.

You would be surprised how often people are pulled out of the supes in the summer.
I once was a slug.

PostPosted: 7/9/2003, 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:

You would be surprised how often people are pulled out of the supes in the summer

As Colin and I both said: No, we wouldn't.

In fact, I wouldn't be at all surprised if averaged into a daily occurrance. It is at that level in the Grand Canyon already.

Inexperience + lack of inteligence/forethough/planning + heat + rugged terrain = good, heroic and generoous people having to take time to go and rescue their sorry rear from certain death.

"...haven't you lived long enough to know that two men may honestly differ about a question and both be right?"
- Abraham Lincoln
azhiker96

PostPosted: 7/11/2003, 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

It seems like the common thread was they got lost. Somehow folks knew to call in the searchers. Good for them! I like to hike during this time of year. I hit the trailhead at first light and return by noon. You just have to carry plenty of water, know your trail or carry a map/compass or GPS, and leave word with someone on where you're going. The pay stations are down and I get the trails almost to myself. Very Happy
CatValet
Got Gear?

PostPosted: 7/11/2003, 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Since Daddee just got done reading Frank Herbert......

Maybe their water should belong to the tribe.....might help mitigate the drought......(sometimes the gene pool needs a little chlorine...) Twisted Evil
Daddee
I once was a slug.

PostPosted: 7/14/2003, 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:

Maybe their water should belong to the tribe.....

Which tribe? The idiotarian tribe?

Also - after a day out in the Sups' there ain't much water left to speak of.

- Abraham Lincoln
CatValet
Got Gear?

PostPosted: 7/14/2003, 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Are idiotarians anything like Rotarians?? Or do they havta wear those fez hats?

Nah, I was suggesting that given the beauty of natural selection, their remains, including "precious bodily fluids"* could/should be used to nourish the local flora and fauna. Can't you just see two coyotes on top of Bluff Springs Mtn:

"Whadja Get?"

"Coffee and Danish"

"Uff Dah!"

-R

* for the bonus points....from which movie? (Hint: P.O.E.....P.O.E....)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Off-Trail Area All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: