ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Great Read!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Photos, Literature, Art, Websites Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
ck1

PostPosted: 7/5/2003, 11:31 pm    Post subject: Great Read! Reply to topic Reply with quote

OK, I've read a few books this summer...one about the selection of the next pope, another one you might of heard of - Harry Potter, a third in my professional area...but recently I came across a book I'm just enthralled with, and thought I'd pass it on...I picked up an original hardcover copy of Kon-Tiki by Thor Heyerdahl...it's been a great read.

Anybody else have a recommendation?

"The Journey is the Destination"
mike t

PostPosted: 7/6/2003, 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yes Kon-Tiki is a great read. I remember reading it in grade school or Jr High. It certainly fired the imagination. I think it is great story for anyone at any age.

You might also consider the Alfred Lansing version of Endurance, the story of Sir Ernest Shacklefords Antarctic ordeal.
ck1

PostPosted: 7/6/2003, 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I've had others suggest that one as well...it was quite popular a few years back among the volunteers at eco-challenge...I'll add it to my list

"The Journey is the Destination"
Daddee
I once was a slug.

PostPosted: 7/7/2003, 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:

Ernest Shacklefords

Don't you mean Shakelton?

"...haven't you lived long enough to know that two men may honestly differ about a question and both be right?"
- Abraham Lincoln
Daddee
I once was a slug.

PostPosted: 7/7/2003, 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I've recommended it before - but "Genius" by James Gleick is a fabulous read. I plan on reading it again this summer.

Other recent reads that were well worth the effort:

"The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt" followed by "Theodore Rex" - both by Edumund Morris (I plan on reading Teddy's autobiography this summer)

"John Adams" by David McCulough (and as an author it is really hard to go wrong with his books - excellent historian and author)

And for fun I just got done re-reading the Lord of the Rings series by Tolkein and the Dune series by Hebert. Rings was good as ever, and the Dune series was slow in the 3rd book and fairly heavy throughout, but imaginative and well written.

"...haven't you lived long enough to know that two men may honestly differ about a question and both be right?"
- Abraham Lincoln
mike t

PostPosted: 7/7/2003, 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yeah, Shackleton is who I meant. Thanks.
dennisbench

PostPosted: 7/7/2003, 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

For being someone who loves to read continually I am lucky because all I do is read for my classes. This session I am reading the autobiographies of Malcolm X, Booker T Washington, Dick Gregory, Fred Hurston, Maya Angelou, and Ann Moody; all African American authors. I finished the first summer term, The Course of Mexican History, The Life of Praxedis Guerrero, Rumor of War, Vietnam: An American Ordeal, and also A VietCong Memoir. Man I love to read history!!!
"In the first place you can't see anything from a car; you've got to get out of the goddamned contraption and walk, better yet crawl, on hands and knees...When traces of blood begin to mark your trail you'll see something, maybe."
-Ed Abbey
Nealz

PostPosted: 7/8/2003, 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

dennisbench wrote:
Man I love to read history!!!

Me too. One I finished last month is "A Little War of Our Own: The Pleasant Valley Feud Revisited", by Don Dedera. A good and balanced account of the Graham/Tewksbury feud in and around the Young area.

Another uniquely inspirational read is "Lessons in Excellence from Charlie Trotter", by Ed Lawler. An inside look at how Charlie Trotter created and manages one of the top restaurants in the world.

And a funny collection of outdoor-related musings from Patrick McManus -- "The McManus Treasury: A Fine and Pleasant Misery; They Shoot Canoes, Don't They?; Never Sniff a Gift Fish; The Grasshopper Trap."

-Nealz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Photos, Literature, Art, Websites All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: