ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
A different perspective...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
ck1

PostPosted: 6/29/2003, 9:24 pm    Post subject: A different perspective... Reply to topic Reply with quote

For the first time in a long time, I haven't been hiking regularly. I believe it was about 2 months ago that I last but foot to trail and I have to tell ya...it feels...ok.

As some of you know, Pat and I teach, so our summers are free, and usually we spend most of it exploring. Last year we did a huge cross country adventure...

This summer, we've been more laid back. We'll soon be making our 3rd week long visit to Los Conches near Puerto Penasco (Rocky Point) this month, enjoying some ocean kayaking, some sand, some sun, some dos equis...

I've been road cycling a great deal (150+ miles/week) and spending a lot of time paddling the kayak...

Next month we head back to Illinois, and I'll spend 10 days in the Canadian wilderness on a fishing expedition...travel by float plane...stay in an isolated cabin...kind of a "back the cigars-leave the toothbrush" kind of trip...

I gotta tell ya, I do miss hitting the trails...but every once and a while, stepping back and doing "other" things provides trememdous perspective.

"The Journey is the Destination"
GTG
Was lost but now am found

PostPosted: 6/30/2003, 6:13 am    Post subject: next step, kids Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:

I gotta tell ya, I do miss hitting the trails...but every once and a while, stepping back and doing "other" things provides trememdous perspective.

It sounds to me like there's some offspring in the future.

GTG
Daddee
I once was a slug.

PostPosted: 7/1/2003, 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:
For the first time in a long time, I haven't been hiking regularly. I believe it was about 2 months ago that I last but foot to trail and I have to tell ya...it feels...ok.

Well, the same applies for me - and, for me, it does NOT feel okay. Hiking on the weekend preserves my sanity.

Quote:
It sounds to me like there's some offspring in the future.

That is indeed the case with us. Add to that the new house that has a yard which needs weekly care to look decent. My Saturday's (really my only hiking day) fill up pretty darned fast these days.

It sucks.

"...haven't you lived long enough to know that two men may honestly differ about a question and both be right?"
- Abraham Lincoln
ck1

PostPosted: 7/1/2003, 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I don't know about offspring yet...maybe...but I gotta tell ya...it's been just swell doing other things...

Heading off for a morning paddle at Tempe Town Lake... Very Happy See ya!

Daryl

PostPosted: 7/1/2003, 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Colin, if you're ever interested in kayaking on the salt river let me know. Me and a group from work head out there about once a week usually after work (4-4:30pm). Last Friday we saw about a dozen wild horses on the bank, and the week before that we saw two bald eagles (I thought they flew north for the winter, I guess they like it here???)
Thread Killer

PostPosted: 7/1/2003, 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I haven't hiked for over two weeks and I'm in desperate need of a spoonful. Hopefully I'll be back on the trail in a few weeks. Maybe not that long. I guess my situation is a little different. I'm not doing very much exercise at all. I'm recouperating from recent surgery.
evenstar

PostPosted: 7/2/2003, 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Sounds like Colin's got all his ducks lined up in the proper order Very Happy
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
Daddee
I once was a slug.

PostPosted: 7/2/2003, 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Not that you're so bitter about the "choke" comment that you'll jump forums just to post next to the most recent Kurthzone posting.....

"...haven't you lived long enough to know that two men may honestly differ about a question and both be right?"
- Abraham Lincoln
ck1

PostPosted: 7/2/2003, 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Daryl - I'm most interested! I've only just begun paddling, so I'll continue to putz around for a while, but I've been wanting to run the salt...give me a bit of time to improve, then I'll send you a note!
Thanks man!

Daryl

PostPosted: 7/3/2003, 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Colin,

This is the lower Salt that we run (where the tubers go). No need to improve, we take first timers down with us all the time. There are only 2 places that give new paddlers trouble and one of those has an alternate route around. I'll let you know next time we go.

PostPosted: 7/3/2003, 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

That'd be great Daryl!

Nealz

PostPosted: 7/3/2003, 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: A different perspective... Reply to topic Reply with quote

ck1 wrote:
I've been road cycling a great deal (150+ miles/week)

I've been riding too, in the mornings. As I know you know, the TdF (Tour de France) starts Saturday. Go Lance and hopefully he'll bring home his 5th consecutive yellow jersey.

-Nealz
ck1

PostPosted: 7/3/2003, 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: A different perspective... Reply to topic Reply with quote

Nealz wrote:
ck1 wrote:
I've been road cycling a great deal (150+ miles/week)

I've been riding too, in the mornings. As I know you know, the TdF (Tour de France) starts Saturday. Go Lance and hopefully he'll bring home his 5th consecutive yellow jersey.

-Nealz

Thank god it's starting! I'm tired of OLN's commercials for it..."The last time an Armstrong accomplished something like this, we landed on the freaking moon."...urgh!

I'll be watching intently!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: