ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
GC permits

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Questions & Suggestions Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
jkern15674

PostPosted: 3/2/2006, 10:17 pm    Post subject: GC permits Reply to topic Reply with quote

Anyone know the rules for selling/gifting a backcountry permit for the GC?? Is it allowed and do you have to go through the GCBCO to arrange it or do you just change the trip leader???
Cholla

PostPosted: 3/2/2006, 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I can't find the info quickly now, but I seem to remember that if you canceled a trip, you would receive credit for a future trip.
jkern15674

PostPosted: 3/3/2006, 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

That would be correct you get a credit minus the processing fee good for you next BC permit. But can you "sell" it or "give it" to someone else to use or do they need to get another itinerary?? i.e. new permit.
IGO

PostPosted: 3/3/2006, 5:55 am    Post subject: Re: GC permits Reply to topic Reply with quote

jkern15674 wrote:
Anyone know the rules for selling/gifting a backcountry permit for the GC?? Is it allowed and do you have to go through the GCBCO to arrange it or do you just change the trip leader???
Non-Transferable. Permits and party are the responsibility of the permitted.
http://www.nps.gov/grca/backcountry/permit_app.htm
"Surely all God's people, however serious or savage, great or small, like to play. Whales and elephants, dancing, humming gnats, and invisibly small mischievous microbes - all are warm with divine radium and must have lots of fun in them." John Muir
Cholla

PostPosted: 3/3/2006, 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Wow, good job digging that out IGO! I still can't find where it says that, but recall reading it in the past and hesitated to make that statement. You might not be able to spel, but your a real good researcher.

Cheers!
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 3/3/2006, 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Cholla wrote:
I can't find the info quickly now, but I seem to remember that if you canceled a trip, you would receive credit for a future trip.

I don't know... we had to cancel a trip I permitted and we just sucked up the permit... I went to the BCO and enquired about a refund and they told me they usually don't do it but I could write a letter to (forgotten name) and see if they would be willing to refund the money as some times they do but they did not.....If it haddn't been for the storm and a "certain hiker" deciding to try and fly in her tent.....

I want to shine!
Cholla

PostPosted: 3/3/2006, 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

This is from the permit procedures:

"There is a non-refundable fee of $10 per permit plus $5 per person per night camped below the rim and $5 per group per night camped above the rim. Permit cancellations will incur a $10 cancellation fee. All fees paid to the Backcountry Office continue to be non-refundable. Frequent users may wish to purchase a one-year Frequent Hiker membership for $25 that waives the initial $10 fee for each permit obtained by the trip leader for twelve months from the date of purchase."

I still can't find it in writing, but as I recall if you do cancel a trip the balance from the fees paid would be held as a credit to be applied to a future trip.

Maybe another cup of coffee this morning will get my other eye open and I'll see it. Hmmm... sort of working off of memory a bit on this one, but did want to quote what I've found in writing so far.
IGO

PostPosted: 3/3/2006, 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thank you.
I could probably spell a little better if I weren't such a lazy typer. LOL.
"Surely all God's people, however serious or savage, great or small, like to play. Whales and elephants, dancing, humming gnats, and invisibly small mischievous microbes - all are warm with divine radium and must have lots of fun in them." John Muir
Cynhikr

PostPosted: 3/3/2006, 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Cholla wrote:
This is from the permit procedures:

"There is a non-refundable fee of $10 per permit plus $5 per person per night camped below the rim and $5 per group per night camped above the rim. Permit cancellations will incur a $10 cancellation fee. All fees paid to the Backcountry Office continue to be non-refundable. Frequent users may wish to purchase a one-year Frequent Hiker membership for $25 that waives the initial $10 fee for each permit obtained by the trip leader for twelve months from the date of purchase."

I still can't find it in writing, but as I recall if you do cancel a trip the balance from the fees paid would be held as a credit to be applied to a future trip.

Maybe another cup of coffee this morning will get my other eye open and I'll see it. Hmmm... sort of working off of memory a bit on this one, but did want to quote what I've found in writing so far.

I have been issued a "hiker credit" a couple of times. The $10.00 fee is forfeited, but the $5.00 per day/per person is put "on account"; that is, of the permit holder.

From GCNP's site >>>
"Q: Can I get a refund for my backcountry permit?
A: No. Backcountry permits are non-refundable. The intent of this policy is to deter people from buying permits that they are not going to use. Competition for permits can be fierce. We want space that is not going to be used to be available for other visitors. Hiker Credit is available for permits cancelled at least three days in advance, minus a $10 cancellation fee. Hiker Credit can be used to purchase backcountry permits at Grand Canyon National Park and is good for one year. You can notify us of cancellations in person, by mail, or by fax. However before Hiker Credit can be issued we need the physical copy of the permit returned to us in person or by mail."

"I wonder what ole' Ben would've thought of the TSA and photo-radar?" -- cynhikr
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 3/3/2006, 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yeah I tried to do this last year a couple of days before the hike. I had a permit for 6, wanted to change it to 3 people and get future hiker credit for the the other 3. They said that at that late notice I could only do that in person, and that usually you have to do it 2 weeks in advance. What they would have done in my case was to issue me a new permit for 2 nights, 3 people, and give me credit for a future 2 night hike for 3 people. I would have a year to use this credit, but would still have to go through the permit process, applying on the 1st of the month 4 months before the hike as usual. They will issue credit for the full number of hikers, or as in my case, the 3 who didn't go. I could have gotten it but I waited too long, as it was only 2 days before my hike when I found this out. I didn't want to take time to go to the Backcountry Office and make the change.
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 3/3/2006, 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Well, I know that our "trip leader" on our last permit to Havasupai was GTG 'Schwartz', or something like that. Chuckle

hint, hint.

Shades
desertgirl

PostPosted: 3/3/2006, 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

HIG wrote:
Well, I know that our "trip leader" on our last permit to Havasupai was GTG 'Schwartz', or something like that. Chuckle

hint, hint.

Shades

But Havasupai permits are not from NPS Rolling Eyes
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 3/3/2006, 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Just used as an example. Didn't you get the 'hint'?
azhiker96

PostPosted: 3/3/2006, 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

HIG wrote:

hint, hint.

Shades

I had a buddy in Oklahoma who rode a 1978 HD Shovelhead. All of the utilities at his house were registered under the name H. Davidson. I recken you'd be okay as long as nobody asked to see ID.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Questions & Suggestions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: