ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Guidebook Reviews
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Photos, Literature, Art, Websites Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lizard

PostPosted: 6/17/2003, 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Title: Hiking Grand Canyon National Park
Author: Ron Adkinson
Publisher: Falcon Press (1997)

This book covers all the hiking trails in Grand Canyon National Park. Trail descriptions are very detailed, and include data points and elevation profiles.
Water availability and trailhead directions are also covered. The first third of the book also covers the natural history of the GC-geology, flora and fauna, etc. This is a good utilitarian guide to the trails of the park.

Rating: 7/10

Note: This guide covers ONLY the trails, and doesn't include even short side trips. If you are planning to hike off-trail in the GC, you might want the book reviewed below.
"Men wanted for hazardous journey. Small wages, bitter cold, long months of complete darkness, constant danger, safe return doubtful. Honor and recognition in case of success.”- Sir Ernest Shackleton, newspaper classified.
Lizard

PostPosted: 6/17/2003, 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Title: Grand Canyon Treks
Author: Harvey Butchart
Publisher: Spotted Dog Press, 1998

The author of this book has been called the "authority on Grand Canyon hiking" by Colin Fletcher. This trail guide has details on many of the trails in the Grand Canyon as well as many unique off-trail routes that are not to be found in any other guidebook. The descriptions are detailed enough to understand the route, but not so detailed that there are no surprises. Very highly recommended.

Rating: 9/10

Note: There are two sequels to this book (Grand Canyon Treks II & III), but I have not had the chance to check them out yet.
"Men wanted for hazardous journey. Small wages, bitter cold, long months of complete darkness, constant danger, safe return doubtful. Honor and recognition in case of success.”- Sir Ernest Shackleton, newspaper classified.
desertgirl

PostPosted: 6/19/2003, 9:04 pm    Post subject: Canyoneering Arizona (1998) Reply to topic Reply with quote

Good reference for Canyoneers ....

Title: Canyoneering Arizona (1998)
Author: Tyler Williams
Publisher: Funhog Press, Flagstaff, AZ

Book contains canyoneering hikes located in the AZ. Information in this book can be obtained elsewhere. The hikes in the book are hikes that will require varied canyoneering skill levels. Hikes are identified by level of skill needed and has some good descriptions of the challenges you will be negotiating on the hike. Unless you are into canyoneering, I would not specifically recommend this book
Rating: 5/10

Note: I like the general section this book has that talks about Canyoneering in general!
desertgirl

PostPosted: 6/19/2003, 9:13 pm    Post subject: Favorite Hikes Flagstaff & Sedona (2000) Reply to topic Reply with quote

Funky hiking guide for Flagstaff & Sedona....

Title: Favorite Hikes Flagstaff & Sedona (2000)
Author: Cosmic Ray
Publisher: Cosmic Ray

Handy book, fun maps & descriptions of the best trails in the Flagstaff & Sedona areas (includes the Vortex Hikes). Cosmic Ray makes the trail descriptions & maps fun. I like this book -- has good collection of trails but it willleave the hardcore hiker looking for the obscure trails wanting. This usually makes a great beginner hiker gift!

Rating: 6/10

Note: The cheeriest hiking guide I have encountered! I also like Cosmic Rays Bike trails book!
desertgirl

PostPosted: 6/19/2003, 10:48 pm    Post subject: Day Hikes from the River (2nd Edition 2002) Reply to topic Reply with quote

Excellent guide to GrandCanyon hikes accessible from the Colorado River
Title: Day Hikes from the River (2nd Edition 2002)
Author: Tom Martin
Publisher: Vishnu Temple Press

Awesome resource for hikes in the Grand Canyon with access from the river -- written by a commercial river rafter who has been leading hikes from the river since 1969! Excellent selection of 100 hikes throughout the length of the river in Grand Canyon. Detailed descriptions for the river rafters who seek to explore the depths of the many canyons that open into the Colorado in the Grand Canyon area. Hikes are day hikes (Easy to difficult) starting at river's edge with cross reference to River mile locations (match Larry Steven's The Colorado River in Grandcanyon A Guide) and also give options for raft tie-ins to easily access these hikes. All hikes have detailed topo accompanying them.

Rating: 8/10

Note: Definitely written for the river rafts. Access to most of the trails are from riverside only.
desertgirl

PostPosted: 6/29/2003, 7:07 pm    Post subject: Doin' Arizona with your Pooch! (1996) Reply to topic Reply with quote

Resource for the Trail Pooch ....

Title: Doin' Arizona with your Pooch! (1996)
Author: Eileen Barish
Publisher: Pet-Friendly Publications

This is a nice resource for those that are begining to hike with their "Pooch". As a hiking book ...not much of a resource. You can find "leash info" on HAZ!(Pretty much any trail that does not allow pets - let you know in their descriptions - so a few minutes of web - research or a quick phone call will get you the latest info!). What I DO LIKE about this book is the list of places that allow pets and some general pet care info!

Rating: Pooch Hikers: 7/10 Overall: 4/10

Note:

Colin adds & I will agree with him and revise the rating..
ck1 wrote:

What I like about the book, and the reason it stays in the truck, is that it has a pretty comprehensive listing of pet related resources for the entire state. This includes hotels, parks, medical, etc....for this reason I'd rate it higher...

desertgirl

PostPosted: 6/29/2003, 7:19 pm    Post subject: Official guide to Hiking the Grand Canyon 2nd Ed (2001) Reply to topic Reply with quote

Grand Canyon - Major trails....

Title: Official guide to Hiking the Grand Canyon 2nd Ed (2001)
Author: Scott Thybony
Publisher: Grand Canyon Natural History Association

Short & to the point information about major Grand Canyon Trails! The trail descriptions are short, have essential details - Length ( includes key points along the way), Elevations, Water Sources, Trail conditions, TrailHead, Route (This is a fairly short description - so would need additional supporting information), Elevation Profile (with good geological summary information) and Topo of the trail area

Rating: 6/10

Note: I personally like this book Smile and it supports the Grand Canyon Natural History Association!
ck1

PostPosted: 6/29/2003, 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Doin' Arizona with your Pooch! (1996) Reply to topic Reply with quote

desertgirl wrote:
Resource for the Trail Pooch ....

Title: Doin' Arizona with your Pooch! (1996)
Author: Eileen Barish
Publisher: Pet-Friendly Publications

This is a nice resource for those that are begining to hike with their "Pooch". As a hiking book ...not much of a resource. You can find "leash info" on HAZ!(Pretty much any trail that does not allow pets - let you know in their descriptions - so a few minutes of web - research or a quick phone call will get you the latest info!). What I DO LIKE about this book is the list of places that allow pets and some general pet care info!

Rating: 4/10

Note:

What I like about the book, and the reason it stays in the truck, is that it has a pretty comprehensive listing of pet related resources for the entire state. This includes hotels, parks, medical, etc....for this reason I'd rate it higher...

"The Journey is the Destination"
ck1

PostPosted: 6/29/2003, 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

mike t wrote:
Great thread idea Lizard. I will 2nd Desertgirl's suggestion on the Scott Warren book. Here is another that I like.

Title: Day Hikes And Trail Rides In And Around Phoenix
Author: Roger and Ethel Freeman
Publisher: Gem Guides Book Co. (2000)

Rating: 9/10

This book contains comprehensive descriptions of trails around the Phoenix area. It includes Glendale parks, Scottsdale parks, Maricopa County parks, and some BLM and Tonto entries. But by far it excells in it's coverage of Phoenix mountain preserves. Descriptions are detailed, at times right down to how many feet away the next switchback is. I have checked many of the distances (esp. in South Mountain) and find them to be accurate.

Note: Some of these hikes may not be considered very interesting in certain respects, but as training tools for other hikes and as a close-in resource they are invaluable. Also they are at times of forest closures, one of our few options in the Phoenix area

I've found this to be an excellent resource for local areas. I'm not aware of a more comprehensive book for the valley area. I agree, some of the trails are down right boring, but to each there own...even the ones I thoght were really dull...(Phun D Sutton) had lots of people on the trail, so...perhaps we are a bit more picking in our trail selections Very Happy
The trail descriptions are very specific, point by point, and detailed. which makes it a good "gift book" for new hikers as well

"The Journey is the Destination"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Photos, Literature, Art, Websites All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: