ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
GPS question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Orienteering Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
nf1

PostPosted: 2/26/2006, 1:16 pm    Post subject: GPS question Reply to topic Reply with quote

I have been a map and compass guy since I started hiking, but recently I have thought about getting a GPS because I'm always curious about distances and elevations and such off route. Any experienced GPS users out there have recommendations on a good unit, maybe ranging 250-400$ range? Thanks
Arizonaheat
Got Supes Juice?

PostPosted: 2/26/2006, 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

In that price range you really can't go wrong, going with either a Magellan or a Garmin. Personally I use a Magellan Sportrack Topo with downloadable topo software and love it. The Meridian is a step up.

Some people love GPS others prefer map and compass, I like GPS and map.
cakewalk

PostPosted: 2/26/2006, 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I have Garmin Etrex Legend.... $169. at wal-mart.

No complaints
Desert-Boonie

PostPosted: 2/26/2006, 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I have the Garmin eTrex Legend C. I got a great deal on it paying $200 I think I got $50 off. Color screen and so many features you'll never use but well worth it. Long battery life, downloads maps. Garmin makes great GPS devices, you can't go wrong with any of theirs.

"If I can't be my own, I'd feel better dead"
freeride21a

PostPosted: 2/26/2006, 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

for that price range.. HANDS DOWN
Garmin Legend Cx<--notice the X

they run about $250-300

then that leaves another $100 for...
Garmin Mapsource TOPO 1:100,000 scale topo.

what makes the "x" series better is the MicroSD card slot! How much ram you want!! It does come with 32mb IIRC...I think the largest you can buy right now is 512mb.

here is some garmin vistaC pron
The only diff between C and Cx is the memory slot. The only diff between the legendC/x and vistaC/x is the vista has a barometric altimeter as well as electronic compass in addition to the GPS based alt/comp

Backlight

this is the built in base map.. cities, hiways and interstates.

Looks GREAT in bright sunlight!

Those light grey squares represent the mapsource topo's loaded on the gps at that time... that was only 12mb out of 24.
nf1

PostPosted: 2/26/2006, 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

thanks for the replies.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Orienteering All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: