ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Any Geocachers out there?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
evenstar

PostPosted: 1/6/2003, 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Arizonaheat wrote:
Hooli, your new hiking partner is almost as good as my hiking partners, but not quite Laughing Laughing Twisted Evil

Heat, ain't been lucky enough, yet, to hike with those ladies, but looking forward to the opportunity. Gonna spend a couple of weeks soaking, pruning, at a Mineral Spa RV park by the Salton Sea trying to out lie and out drink a couple of very youthful uncles of mine and getting rid of this industrial strength bug my grandkid gave me. And then all you young bucks look out 'cause Hooli's gonna show ya how it's done! Silly Multi
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
RockCrawler

PostPosted: 1/7/2003, 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

...well, I guess my thread has run aground... Chin Scratching
evenstar

PostPosted: 1/7/2003, 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

RockCrawler wrote:

My apologies rockcrawler. We do get carried away at times. OK, back on topic;
I haven't done any geocaching, but I'm sure it's really gonna boom in the future. I liken it to youngsters in high school today who have grown up with computers. Computer technology and the internet are second nature to them because of that. Wasn't the case with HS kids of just ten years ago. So, I think GPS, and the perks that go with it like geocaching, are going to be second nature to the HS kids ten to fifteen years from now. Kids have always gravitated to new technology and said, "Hey, what kind of fun can we have with this?" And one big answer's gonna be geocaching!
Hope others will wade in here and get us back on track.
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
kurthzone
Thread Killer

PostPosted: 1/7/2003, 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

RockCrawler wrote:

I apologize Rock Crawler,

I think I started this diversion with that fake geocache. I was explaining to Canyon Dweller what it was about and got a little too cute. In the future I'm going to restrict my gags and such to the Off the Trail Topic Area.

This is a new site, so the perscentage of users logging in and also geocahcers is going to be relativelly small. But I'm sure the interest is going to get bigger and better. So, I encourage you to keep the interest in geocaching alive by posting like you have. Once again my apologies.
Daddee
I once was a slug.

PostPosted: 1/7/2003, 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:

...well, I guess my thread has run aground...

Appologies as well. Hooli, Kurthzone and I have declared truce on all topic headers except "Off Trail". We still may make the occasional comment - but this is precicely the reason we agreed to call truce. We tend to disrupt many otherwise terrific topics.

Myself - I've never geo-cached, but I have done quite a bit of orienteering stuff in the past which I found quite entertaining and challenging. I'm not too sure I would participate in caching - I more enjoy getting out just for me.

"...haven't you lived long enough to know that two men may honestly differ about a question and both be right?"
- Abraham Lincoln
Canyon Dweller

PostPosted: 1/7/2003, 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Might of been quite off topic but I got a good lauph at it. That pic was simply hystaracal.

I'm still confused of what geocaching is. What are you looking for and how do you know the where abouts to look? This is all very confusing to me.

"Meaningless! Meaningless," says the teacher, "Utterly Meaningless, Everything is meaningless."-Ecclesiastes 1:2
Canyon Dweller

PostPosted: 1/7/2003, 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I just found this one, its quite funny.
http://members.rogers.com/spudstravels/gps.htm
I found it on http://www.spudstravels.com/

"Meaningless! Meaningless," says the teacher, "Utterly Meaningless, Everything is meaningless."-Ecclesiastes 1:2
Daddee
I once was a slug.

PostPosted: 1/7/2003, 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Actually - I was just thinking that I saw MontezumaWell on the member list and they have some pretty good insights and some tangental stories about geocaching that ought to be shared again.

MontezumaWell - you out there?

"...haven't you lived long enough to know that two men may honestly differ about a question and both be right?"
- Abraham Lincoln
RockCrawler

PostPosted: 1/7/2003, 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

If I'm not more careful the dang thing is gonna kill me. The GPS that is. I stare at it. My wife says I look like an idiot tromping (and tripping) over rocks while holding the thing in front of my schnoz(sp?). It's just so fascinating to me. I'm old enough to remember thinking the T.V. tube tester at the hardware store was maybe the coolest piece of technology...ever Smile I'm learning. It's becoming more of a tool than a toy all the time. GPS is a coup for people like us if you think about it. Since we KNOW where we are and where we're going, we can enjoy the trek that much more.
ck1

PostPosted: 1/7/2003, 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

RockCrawler wrote:
GPS is a coup for people like us if you think about it. Since we KNOW where we are and where we're going, we can enjoy the trek that much more.

Until the battery dies. Don't get me wrong, I want a gps as well, mostly to play with and for data collection...but good orienteering skills can't be beat...I was waiting in line at Popular last weekend and the guy behind asked about the trail book I was buying...he said he relies upon his gps...then he proceeds to tell me that a month ago he left the gps in the truck by mistake and it took them 8 hours to get back to his truck...I got the impression it wasn't a good experience...I always think of Cody Ludin's comment at his presentation in Sept 2001..."don't bet the baby on the battery."

"The Journey is the Destination"
srlatty

PostPosted: 1/7/2003, 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

RockCrawler wrote:
I'm old enough to remember thinking the T.V. tube tester at the hardware store was maybe the coolest piece of technology...ever Smile

I think you're showing my age! When I was a kid, we had a round screen, B&W TV. Of course, we had no money either! We went to my aunt and uncle's house to see the astronauts land on the moon because they had a bigger TV than ours.
On another note:
RockCrawler wrote:
GPS is a coup for people like us if you think about it. Since we KNOW where we are and where we're going, we can enjoy the trek that much more.

RockCrawler wrote:
My wife says I look like an idiot tromping (and tripping) over rocks while holding the thing in front of my schnoz(sp?).

Ya gotta look up and see the scenery once in a while or else you will miss the whole reason you're out there in the first place!
RockCrawler

PostPosted: 1/8/2003, 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yep...Just like four wheel drive vehicles, a GPS can get you REALLY lost in an even more romote location. I'll be OK once the novelty wares out. Truly, the neat aspect of GPS use is marrying it with the compass and topo maps. It adds a whole dimension to outdoor navigation. A very informative tutorial on this can be found at

http://www.dbartlett.com/index.htm
cactuscat

PostPosted: 1/8/2003, 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Arizonaheat, Jmzblond, and I had a fun (?) experience recently with his GPS, trying to locate a lost trail. The GPS knew which way we should go, but it couldn't see the incredibly treacherous terrain that we saw! Got us into a pretty sticky situation. Crazy
jmzblond
J Me

PostPosted: 1/12/2003, 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:

Hmmm...If I recall previous posts, that would be Kristyn and JmzBlond - Yep, that's mighty fine company you keep. They'll hike you into the ground, but their company makes it worthwile.

Aahhh, Daddee... what a nice thing to say. How sweet. Thank you!!

"The romantic lifestyle of goats leaves a lot of time for digesting books" Charlotte La Chevre, (taken from "Conversations With A Goat" by Robert Shekter)
jmzblond
J Me

PostPosted: 1/12/2003, 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

cactuscat wrote:
Arizonaheat, Jmzblond, and I had a fun (?) experience recently with his GPS, trying to locate a lost trail. The GPS knew which way we should go, but it couldn't see the incredibly treacherous terrain that we saw! Got us into a pretty sticky situation. Crazy

Yeah, that trail was our cache... too bad we never found it though.Guess thats the perfect excuse to go out and try it again!! Lets just wait til the snow melts. I think my toes are still thawing out!!

And cactuscat... fun??? You've got a sick, twisted, and warped sense of fun!! Must be why I like hiking w/ you guys so much!! Very Happy

"The romantic lifestyle of goats leaves a lot of time for digesting books" Charlotte La Chevre, (taken from "Conversations With A Goat" by Robert Shekter)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: