ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
best things to do in grand canyon north rim late june.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
fendleroc

PostPosted: 1/22/2006, 7:52 am    Post subject: best things to do in grand canyon north rim late june. Reply to topic Reply with quote

hi everybody and happy new year,

I've got one day and a half to spend in grand canyon north rim with one night in the lodge late june. I wonder where are the best scenic views of the canyon. I've rented a 4wd but doesn't have great experience. I like hiking too.

thanks

louis
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 1/25/2006, 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Why not hike the Widforss Trail, to Widforss Point, which is one of the best views of the canyon from the North Rim, plus gives you a decent hike of about 9.5 miles round trip. There are views of a deep side canyon, The Transcept, along the way. Since you wouldn't be descending into the Canyon itself you will avoid the rather unbelievable heat of June below the Rim. Be sure to take AT LEAST a couple quarts of water as there is none along this route.

If you have time on the 1/2 day, very early in the morning, say starting at 4:30 or 5:00--it will be light then in June--you could hike down the North Kaibab Trail, but it will heat up later in the day, you can count on it! (Of course, if heat is your thing, by all means hike down the North Kaibab into the furnace!)
mike
What box?

PostPosted: 1/25/2006, 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I second Widforss! You can also drive over to Point Imperial, Walhalla Overlook & Cape Royal.
fendleroc

PostPosted: 1/28/2006, 2:08 pm    Post subject: grand canyon north rim Reply to topic Reply with quote

thanks a lot for your information and the time you spent.

By the way, can anyone tell me how I can manage to go to THE WAVE. I think I need a permit, but I've been told there isn't any trail?

Louis
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 1/28/2006, 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Never heard of it!
mike
What box?

PostPosted: 1/28/2006, 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: grand canyon north rim Reply to topic Reply with quote

fendleroc wrote:
thanks a lot for your information and the time you spent.

By the way, can anyone tell me how I can manage to go to THE WAVE. I think I need a permit, but I've been told there isn't any trail?

Louis
Take a look at the Coyote Butes section in the FAQs on this site: https://www.blm.gov/az/paria/index2.html
firechik

PostPosted: 2/19/2006, 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

The Uncle Jim Loop is also nice depending on what you want, it doesn't have as many canyon views but is still spectacular. That was always my favorite morning run. Cliff Springs trail at Cape Royal is also a fun really short hike.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: