ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Any Geocachers out there? Rev. 2
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
srlatty

PostPosted: 1/21/2003, 10:48 pm    Post subject: Any Geocachers out there? Rev. 2 Reply to topic Reply with quote

Let's try this again! RockCrawler's thread seems to have run aground again and then died an early death Sad
Over the last couple of days (read this as: since I got my GPS and have been trying to learn how to use it), I have been to several geocaching websites. I have also learned that there are probably 5 caches within 2 miles of my house, 2 within a 10 minute walk! There are also at least 5 on the trails that I use on a regular basis in South Mountain Park. I'm talking within spitting distance!
I'm not sure if this is something that I want to include in my hiking or not? Chin Scratching It seems to be pretty addictive to the people that are involved. Now that I know that I go so close to the caches, I will probably look more closely for them. But do I want my hiking to center around them?
I'm thinking I may keep track of where the caches are. I will look a little more carefully if I know that one is in the area, but I am not going to go out of my way to locate it. From what I have seen, the caches are mostly in populated or high traffic areas. I'm not sure having the police called on me for suspicious activity is quite what I am looking for in a hiking adventure Rolling Eyes
For me, the jury is still out on this one. Reading some of the posts from the people that locate the caches, it seems kind of fun. Also, a lot of them mention the "neighbors that were watching us from their backyard". All seems a little sketchy, at best! What are your thoughts???
cactuscat

PostPosted: 1/22/2003, 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I think if it's a designated wilderness area, caches don't belong there. If it's just a county or state park, then they're okay as long as they don't encourage people to create new trails, cut switchbacks, etc. They also don't belong anywhere near historic sites or ruins.

PostPosted: 1/22/2003, 6:58 pm    Post subject: The Original Geo-Cacher! Reply to topic Reply with quote

Well, there's no doubt about it. The Favorite Hiking Area of the Phoenix Metroplex can lay claim to the Original_Geo_Cacher: Jacob Waltz!!!!
Honest, there's no doubt he meets all the criteria for a Geo_Cacher.
Here's a snippet from one of the many museums that make a living purveying all the various "Lost Dutchman" schtick, schlock, etc.==

"Study the twenty three maps on display and maybe you can discover the location to ol' Jake's mine. The collection includes paper, adobe and stone maps."

If this ain't Geo_caching, we been reading the wrong websites!

Now. moving right along, we agree TOTALLY with "cactuscat." To wit: this here Geo_caching fad, trendy-thingie, whatever, has gotten totally out of hand due to various obsessive-complusvie personalities that quickly get addicted to such things. Geo_caches have ABSOLUTELY NO RIGHT to be in a wilderness area. It is CLEARLY a mechanical intrusion into a mechanically-prohibited area. Trust us, we will seek out and totally DESTROY any such caches EVERY chance we get. We hate to rain on your parade but enough is enough. What's next? We don't want to know. Keep your Geo_Caching OUTSIDE of wilderness areas! Get it? Hope so!

J&S
azhiker96

PostPosted: 1/22/2003, 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I am in total agreement with Cactuscat and Montezumawell. I've visited a geocache website and thought it kind of odd. They know that caches are not supposed to be in wilderness areas. However, they also list many caches in the Wilderness areas. If they truly wanted to keep them out of the wilderness they'd stop listing the ones there. I'd rather see them play hide and seek in the downtown area or use virtual caches.
AZW2

PostPosted: 1/23/2003, 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Here is an interesting official document that specifically mentions that Casual Geocaching is pretty much fine with them and requires no permit for non-commercial use:

Quote:
UNITED STATES DEPARTMENT OF THE INTERIOR
BUREAU OF LAND MANAGEMENT
WASHINGTON, D.C. 20240

October 18, 2001

In Reply Refer To:
8370 (250)P

EMS TRANSMISSION 10/23/01
Instruction Memorandum: No. 2002-017
Expires: 09/30/2002

To: All Washington Office and Field Officials

From: Assistant Director, Renewable Resources and Planning

Subject: Geocaching Activities on BLM Public Lands

Program Area: Permits for Recreation on the Public Lands

Purpose: This Instruction Memorandum (IM) expresses the Bureau of Land Management's (BLM) interest in Geocaching activities and provides general guidance for geocaching on the BLM Public Lands. The BLM currently has no policy for this new activity. However, it is an activity that is growing in popularity.

Background: Geocaching is: An entertaining outdoor adventure game for global positioning system (GPS) users. Participating in a cache hunt is an activity designed to take advantage of the features and capability of a GPS unit and enjoy the freedom of access to the Public Lands. Individuals and organizations set up caches all over the world and share the locations of these caches on the Internet. GPS users use the location coordinates to find the caches. Once found, a cache may provide the visitor with a variety of rewards. The visitor is asked to leave or replace items that they find in the cache. The cache itself is a small waterproof box.

The general website for geocaching is www.geocaching.com. At this website you can type in your zip code and see all the cache sites in your area along with the sites latitude/longitude, a narrative description of the site location, the contents of the cache, and sometimes a map. In many respects geocaching appears to be the type of activity that is appropriate for BLM managed lands. It could be a great chance to hone your orienteering skills, an opportunity to get outdoors and have some challenging fun, or it can be good wholesome outdoor family fun. It can also be conducted with minimal impact to the environment when conscientious land use ethics are followed. Even though geocaching sounds like a great activity, it is an activity that BLM would only welcome in the right locations.

Policy/Action: A special recreation permit (SRP) is not required if the geocaching activity is casual use and where it is not a specific event. The following conditions apply for casual use: it is not commercial, complies with land use decisions and designations, i.e., Special Area Designations and Wilderness Interim Management Policy and, does not award cash prizes, is not publicly advertised, poses minimal risk for damage to public land or related water resource values, and generally requires no monitoring. If you determine the use to be casual but have some concern about the use, such as, placing the caches in Congressionally designated Wilderness or Wilderness Study Areas, at cultural resource sites or other areas with threatened and endangered species or any other special fragile area it would be appropriate to issue a letter of authorization with special stipulations attached that would address those concerns.

If the geocaching activity or event does not meet the above conditions the event should be treated as any other organized recreational group or competitive activity or event for which BLM would require the event organizer to obtain an SRP.

The BLM believes that geocaching is an appropriate casual use of the Public Lands. But, as use increases or becomes a management issue in a particular area the following minimum steps should be taken: 1) try to locate a person or group that is responsible and have them register the cache with the BLM, make sure the cache is safe and environmentally sound, 2) prepare an Environmental Assessment or other appropriate National Environmental Protection Agency document, 3) issue a letter of authorization or SRP with special stipulations to mitigate concerns, 4) if sites are not registered within a reasonable amount of time after notification then the cache should be removed from the Public Lands, usually they are determined to be abandoned property after 72 hours unless they have the appropriate authorization, 5) monitor the use to assess public health and safety and environmental protection issues, 6) if the sport gets too large and begins to conflict with other authorized use appropriate steps should be taken to properly manage the activity.

Time Frame: This IM is effective upon receipt.

Budget Impact: The IM establishes new and general guidance on geocaching. It is expected that most of the activity would be treated as casual use on the BLM Public Lands requiring few permits or increase in the already burdensome recreation permitting workload. Therefore, the impact on the budget should be minimal.

Manual/Handbook: There will be no affect on the existing recreation permitting handbook. The new 2930 Handbook will be revised to reflect this activity as an example of casual use and in certain conditions where it would require an SRP.

Coordination: This IM has been coordinated through WO-170, the National Landscape Conservation System; all of the BLM State Office Recreation Leads; WO-370, National Law Enforcement Office; and WO-240, Cultural Heritage and Paleontology Office.

Contact: If you have any questions, please contact Lee V. Larson at (202) 452.5168

Signed by:

Bud Cribley
Acting Assistant Director,
Renewable Resources and Planning Authenticated by:

Vincent C. Chapman Jr
Policy & Records Group, WO
RockCrawler

PostPosted: 1/24/2003, 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I have restricted most of my geo-caching to urban and city park caches so far. Sort of makes walking/running the dog a little more entertaining. I agree that wilderness areas should be off limits to this kind of activity, not because of a "mechanical intrusion", but becuse it's a distraction to the real activity. Removing(or Shocked destroying) caches from wilderness areas might sound like a good idea. I recommend an email to its owner asking them to move it before twenty or more hunters try and fail to find it. More on this later....
RockCrawler

PostPosted: 1/24/2003, 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

...placing and finding virtual caches on or near trails is the way to go. We chould easily do these ourselves. If you discover a cool natural object or spot during a hike make note of the datum your on and coordinates (UTM preferably). Post that info here, we punch that in as a waypoint, and the next time we hike that trail we'll try and locate the same spot and discribe to you via e-mail. Smile ...just a thought
mike
What box?

PostPosted: 1/24/2003, 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

This is the definition of a virtual cache from geocaching.com:

Quote:
Virtual caches - A cache is actually an existing landmark, such as a tombstone or statue. You have to answer a question from the landmark and let the "cache" owner know as proof that you were there.

I agree, it sounds like the best way to go.
thesuperstitions

PostPosted: 2/13/2006, 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Unfortunately, virtual caches are no longer accepted by gocaching.com. Existing ones are grandfathered in, but no new ones are allowed. Personally, I think it's a shame that they quit allowing them as I know of many places that would be interesting to share with others.

So... the reason I was looking through these old geocaching posts was because I've recently started taking my kids out "Treasure Hunting". They love to go out hiking around with a goal in mind... finding the "Treasure"! The great side-benefit is that we've now found many places practically in our own neighborhood that are beautiful but not at all obvious.

Last weekend the kids and I created two "Travel Bugs". Well, we didn't create the TBs... we bought those from geocaching.com, but we attached a little keychain Teddy Bear to each and then laminated a note and attached them to each. We then found two separate caches and placed one TB in each. For those not familiar with travel bugs... they are uniquely-numbered dog-tags that can be tracked on geocaching.com. Most TBs are given a goal, such as to travel from one state to another or even to other countries. When you place a TB in a cache, you record it. When someone removes it, they record the fact that they took it and that they moved it to it's next stop (cache).

My kids, Kelly and Brian, each have one out there now. The goal for each is the same... to reach a cache that's very close to Lost Dutchman State Park where, I hope, we'll be able to retrieve them at some point, or alternately, one of our friends would pick them up and re-direct them via a new goal, back to us here in MD.

Here are the links to their TBs...

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?guid=d88db48a-d8cc-42c7-adcd-ecc3c6b5edee

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?guid=43395ccb-d913-469c-af25-bf4f77f86787
cakewalk

PostPosted: 2/13/2006, 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Im a fan of geocaching. In a year I have found close to 100 and have hidden 2.
Those who approve and publish the caches on the geocaching.com site are pretty strict that the caches adhere to local park rules and such.
Caches are harmless to the environment. They are invisible to those who are unaware of them and there is a huge push for " CITO " - Cache in, Trash out. Alot of the " power-cachers " carry trash bags with them.

Im a nerd.
Andy

PostPosted: 2/14/2006, 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I also Geocache. It's a lot of fun. And one of the only ways to get my kid off the couch and out hiking. It is well known around here that placing them in wilderness areas is not allowed. although I am now considering boobietrapping one and finding a good spot up around Montezumas Well just for fun. Twisted Evil

http://community.webshots.com/album/136917818udlQWZ
mike
What box?

PostPosted: 2/14/2006, 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

ajcanable wrote:

although I am now considering boobietrapping one and finding a good spot up around Montezumas Well just for fun.

rofl
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 2/14/2006, 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

mike wrote:
ajcanable wrote:

although I am now considering boobietrapping one and finding a good spot up around Montezumas Well just for fun.

rofl

thumbs up
azhiker96

PostPosted: 2/14/2006, 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Davis2001R6 wrote:
mike wrote:
ajcanable wrote:

rofl

thumbs up

Scared

I think I'd rather find old Jacob's cache! thumbs up
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 2/15/2006, 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I've thought about doing this just to get more use out of the GPS. And being technologically challenged, I do need to practice with it or I tend to forget stuff. I looked up my area several years ago and there were definitely some caches near Springerville, etc. But a lot of them were so close to the highway it wasn't much fun. Maybe they've added some, I should go look.

All that being said, I think after a short time I'd get bored with it, like I got bored with fishing, plinking and panning for gold. The idea of doing geocaching to get kids out the door, though, seems to be a good one!!! I found that to get my daughter on the trail when we lived in Tucson it had to be summer and there had to be a swimming hole at the destination. Good thing there were so many swimming holes near there! Also got her out the door taking her fishing--she used to enjoy that as well, maybe it would work with ajcanable's kid, too.

What's plinking? You take old cans, line them up in a row and shoot at them with a .22. I still plink, but only cuz hubby loves it. I'm pretty good at it, too. That's another thing you can do with kids to get them outdoors. Take them to a shooting club, have them learn safe gun handling, etc. After they learn to shoot you can go hunting, do target competition, or just go plinking. Most kids really enjoy it. Mine went to the Jr. Olympics and won medals, just because they were good at plinking.

Anyway, back to the topic (sorry, I know I have trouble sticking to topics! I'm that way in person as well!) I guess I just go to that geocaching website and it will give me instructions on how to play? Right?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: