ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
El Camino Del Diablo
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
RedRoxx44
Queen of the Walkabout

PostPosted: 2/2/2006, 1:00 pm    Post subject: El Camino Del Diablo Reply to topic Reply with quote

Planning on driving the El Camino from Ajo to near Yuma ( will probably exit at Wellton) March 4 and 5 with my gung ho coworkers. Would consider one to two more vehicles if anyone is interested. I've got the info coming to me ( Hold Harmless agreement etc) from Cabeza Prieta folks.

Historic, about 110 miles, some hiking, lots of photo ops, must have a HC 4wd vehicle. I understand the road is in good shape. Two border patrol encampments in route, so border activity is lessened. No services, must be fully self supporting with fuel, water, repair stuff for vehicle, food etc.
Around March 15th middle portion will be closed due to Sonoran Pronghorn antelope fawning, until summer.

I don't have internet access at home right now so may be slow to respond.
desertgirl

PostPosted: 2/2/2006, 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I might be interested -- How 4WD drive is this road ?
azhiker96

PostPosted: 2/2/2006, 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

How HC? I have a Grand Cherokee but it has stock lift. If it would make it I'm in!
Hnak

PostPosted: 2/2/2006, 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I drove across that road a few years ago while on a geology field trip. I really enjoyed it. We took 3 or 4 days to go across the route, but we stopped a lot to look at things, and there are a LOT of things to see.

The place where 4WD came in handy is out toward the west end where there is a stretch of the road that is deep, soft sand. It really helps to have all 4 wheels pulling through this area. The rest of the way (as my limited memory recalls...) isn't too bad.

I drove it in a stock GMC Jimmy, and never had an clearance problems along the main road. If you head up Christmas Pass road, you'll get to a few more challenging spots, but if you're doing it in two days you won't have time for that (I don't think..). There are stretches where the road is rocky, so you have to go slow, but I don't remember any real hard parts. Just a lot of driving through some of the emptiest country you'll ever see..

If you have the time, a stop at the west end, just as you turn north to see the Tinajas Altas (high tanks?) is worth the time..

Take plenty of water, and make sure your spare tire is in good condition. Well, actually, make sure that ALL of your tires are in good condition... Wink

Hank
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 2/2/2006, 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I forget where but I was just reading about this area, sounded pretty remote and cool! I would love to see your pictures from your trip.
RedRoxx44
Queen of the Walkabout

PostPosted: 2/3/2006, 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

When I drove it it didn't really require 4wd except for a couple of sections near the Pinta sands. Rocky in spots, did it in my stock Cherokee no problem. Time is limited due to work considerations, 3 days would be better but will be a nice intro to area. Should have time for some explorations, depends on what kinda driver you are---- Wink

Plans will be a meet possibly Fri evening in Ajo or GIla Bend, then a really early start Sat am prior to sunrise if coming down from GIla Bend.

I have a little story up in Articles from "Tales from the Trail " section on this.
GTG
Was lost but now am found

PostPosted: 2/3/2006, 1:13 pm    Post subject: me too if I fit! Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'd be interested in this too if there's room for me and my vehicle. I'll take my place in line behind the others that responded before me though.

GTG
desertgirl

PostPosted: 2/3/2006, 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

How many vehicles and can we pool ?
RedRoxx44
Queen of the Walkabout

PostPosted: 2/3/2006, 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I would like to keep it to a max of 5 vehicles. It looks like both my Jeeps are going with someone else at the helm of the Cherokee, me in the red Jeep. I could take a rider but may be spoken for. Right now a possibility of 8 in my group from work, but expect some possible fall outs. Maybe two kids also. Christmas pass is a bail out possibility about half way but does require a bit of four wheeling.

We will have to move along to make it in two days. I also have to get to everyone the agreements to sign off on and all drivers and passengers MUST be listed on the permits. So no last minute additions. I can probably fax the forms once I get them and see how they copy.
I'll update here as I can and then those who are wanting to go get together and see if you all can get in two vehicles to make the trip. Wait till some of you guys meet who I work with--it'll be AZH meets the wild wild west wannabe's----
paintninaz

PostPosted: 2/3/2006, 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'd be interested in being a passenger in someone's HC 4WD vehicle if there is room. Mr. Green

“Friends make the bad times good — and the good times unforgettable.”
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 2/3/2006, 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Love to go but my dtr in law called the other day and she and our Emily are going to be here then!!!! Em told me she loved me on the phone the other day! "wuv ooooh" It was sooooo cuuuuute!

I want to shine!
evenstar

PostPosted: 2/3/2006, 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'd love to do this in the new Xterra OR and have room for a couple of people and their gear, but sounds like you already have more vehicles that you want. Sad

And, of course I'd have to take Rich.
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
desertgirl

PostPosted: 2/4/2006, 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I can drive if need be Very Happy Yay!
desertgirl

PostPosted: 2/4/2006, 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hikngrl wrote:
Love to go but my dtr in law called the other day and she and our Emily are going to be here then!!!! Em told me she loved me on the phone the other day! "wuv ooooh" It was sooooo cuuuuute!

Very Happy You'll be on happy grandma Hug
evenstar

PostPosted: 2/4/2006, 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Letty, if it's OK with you, I'm in with Ambika riding shotgun in the Xterra with Richie Rich and, if she'd like to ride along, Paint.
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: