ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
GPS/Computer Interface problem
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Orienteering Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 1/10/2006, 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Daddee wrote:
Well - there you have it.

No installation disk present - so, back to the store to find one that does have the software.

Lousy Fry's. Every time I go there I wonder why I keep coming back.

I just figured that since there wasn't any software, it didn't need any. The package didn't look like it had been opened prior to purchase - but I guess I was wrong.

I don't think it's Fry's fault. You're just a cheapskate.

Just make sure that what you get will work with XP. The adapters that will work for sure, whether it be plug 'n pray, or driver driven, will be more than $14 more than likely.

Shades
thesuperstitions

PostPosted: 1/11/2006, 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

If you don't need it immediately, here's a place that sells all kinds of usb-to-RS232 products:

http://www.usbgear.com/USB-Serial.html
Daddee
I once was a slug.

PostPosted: 1/11/2006, 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Already taken care of and it seems to be working just fine. I'll try it with software later today, but I was able to do a web update for my e-Venture, and no problems there.

"...haven't you lived long enough to know that two men may honestly differ about a question and both be right?"
- Abraham Lincoln
thesuperstitions

PostPosted: 1/30/2006, 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I decided to go ahead and pick up a USB-to-serial cable for my Magellan Color GPS. I bought it from this ebay store:

http://search.stores.ebay.com/Superdeal-01_USB-To-Rs232_W0QQfciZQ2d1QQfclZ3QQfsnZSuperdealQ2d01QQfsooZ1QQfsopZ1QQftsZ2QQsaselZ102668944QQsatitleZUSBQ2dToQ2dRs232QQsofpZ0

It works great. Just had to go into the hardware manager and change the serial port that the driver set up to port #2 from port #11 because my Magellan GPS couldn't see port #11.

On that web page, most are listed at a "Buy-It-Now" price of $1.09 with shipping of $5.00. There should be at least 1 listed for $0.99 + $5.00 shipping. (Hey, that's 10% off, right??) Shipping took about 4 days. (Bought it on the 26th, delivered today)

Anyway, just wanted to let those of you using RS-232 connections between your GPS and computer know that there's a very cheap alternative.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Orienteering All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: