ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
1st time hiker qestion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Questions & Suggestions Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
trinkystar

PostPosted: 1/21/2006, 5:46 pm    Post subject: 1st time hiker qestion Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hey there!

I would like to start hiking in the phoenix area, but have no real idea where to go! I haven't hiked since I was a kid, so I am a novice, but any info would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks Very Happy
CatValet
Got Gear?

PostPosted: 1/21/2006, 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hello and Welcome Trinky. You will get many more responses in a day. Most of the crew here are out at Lost Dutchman State Park doing an annual site birthday gathering, food fest, Hooli teasing (you'll see...) campout and group hike of the month. I stayed home to keep watch and feed the cats...

The local mountain preserves offer some nice day hiking close to home: The White Tanks, McDowells, South Mountain and Piestewa Peak. For those who enjoy a more wilderness approach, the Superstition and Mazatzal Wilderness areas are close by. In the summer, many higher altitudes in the state are tempting as well. If your route finding, map and compass, and survival skills are lacking, going with more experienced hikers to start is a wise approach. You'll find a flock of them hereabouts on most days, probably starting manana pm. Welcome again. -Randy
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 1/22/2006, 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

What go me started was going to Barnes and Noble and picking up the book, "Best Easy Day Hikes Phoenix". I just started checking them off one by one in there. Then I started attending the GHOTM's (Group Hike Of The Months) and almost have 1000 miles on the trails now. If you haven't came across it yet checkout www.hikearizona.com it has 1000's of trails on there, but the people here are what makes this site great!
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 1/22/2006, 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: 1st time hiker qestion Reply to topic Reply with quote

trinkystar wrote:
Hey there!

. . . . I haven't hiked since I was a kid, so . . . . Very Happy

Ahem. Some here might think you are still a kid!

Welcome! It's a great site!
evenstar

PostPosted: 1/22/2006, 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm still a kid! Very Happy Multi Yahoo!
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
IGO

PostPosted: 1/22/2006, 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

evenstar wrote:
I'm still a kid! Very Happy Multi Yahoo!

Yes
"Surely all God's people, however serious or savage, great or small, like to play. Whales and elephants, dancing, humming gnats, and invisibly small mischievous microbes - all are warm with divine radium and must have lots of fun in them." John Muir
Daryl

PostPosted: 1/23/2006, 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Great time of year to get started and perfect weather for hiking in the Superstitons.
Start out at Peralta or Firstwater trailhead just east of the valley and just head out on a trail. Go as far as you want and come back the exact same way. Or grab a map and plan out a trip.

Be aware that a lot of first timers get lost or end up taking on more then planned at these trailheads because they assume the trails loop around. The trails do loop, but you have to know where to turn to make the loop and the shortest loops are close to 10 miles long. If you go out prepared with a good plan you have nothing to worry about.

Have fun and post any and all questions here as there are a bunch of great people here full of info.
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 1/27/2006, 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hi, I'm new to the site, too, but have had fun visiting with the various characters Crazy here! Please take the following seriously when hiking in desert: Take a lot of water, like at least two quarts. Wear sunscreen all over, and a light-colored t-shirt, don't wear black clothes, and it's better not to wear a tank top. Wear a hat that shades your face, back of your neck and ears--one of those totally dorky floppy units you'll see other hikers wearing on the trail.

Of course, right now the weather down in Phx. is perfect for hiking, but it's good to know about the light colored clothing, water, hat and sunscreen anyway, for when it gets warmer! Well, you'll need the WATER at any time of the year! And a snack such as a Clif Bar or Power Bar, apple, that sort of thing.

Have fun! I'm sure there's somebody who would go for a hike with you, or you could watch the board for organized ones. I live 4 1/2 hours away, so can't go with you, at least not this weekend!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Questions & Suggestions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: