ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Route 60 Widening

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Campgrounds & Road Conditions Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
gpsjoe

PostPosted: 1/18/2006, 7:37 pm    Post subject: Route 60 Widening Reply to topic Reply with quote

Heard on the news this moring a rep from the AZ DOT discussing the widening of route 60 between Gilbert and Power roads. It's underway with a scheduled completion in the summer of 2007. This of course should have been done with the original widening of route 60, but its' here now.

This weekend they will be working on the bridges across or under 60 and eastbound traffic will be down to one lane. So, if you find yourself stuck in a line of traffic on your way to a Supes trailhead, you will know why.

Or you can strategize and use alternative routes. If your going to First Water, Canyon Lake or Dutchman State Park you can take any road before Gilbert norh to Main Street or better yet, Brown Road and go east on one of those to your destination. If your going to Peralta you can use Baseline or Southern (or others) to bypass the mess between Gilbert and Power roads and get back on 60 anywhere after Power road.

Good luck!!
RedRoxx44
Queen of the Walkabout

PostPosted: 1/18/2006, 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I guess I better leave Tucson at 3:00 am then--- Wink
Nighthiker

PostPosted: 1/18/2006, 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Several times this past week I have heading east on Gudalupe from the Chandler/Gilbert area (Country Club) around 4 pm and getting home in Gold Canyon at a little after 5pm.
gpsjoe

PostPosted: 1/18/2006, 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Letty, Saturday or Sunday morning traffic before say 8:00 AM should be light and even one lane would probably move OK at that time. A liitle later than that and all bets are off.
RedRoxx44
Queen of the Walkabout

PostPosted: 1/19/2006, 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks Joe, I'll actually probably come up on the road thru Florence and hit 60 to AJ etc. I like that way better than I-10, even tho dark is a lot more scenic and should be light traffic at that time. At least that's the plan-----
outside1

PostPosted: 1/19/2006, 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

"U.S 60 will narrow to one lane from 11 p.m. Friday to 5 a.m. Monday so crews can widen the Roosevelt Canal bridge, just east of Recker Road near Superstition Springs Golf Club"

http://www.azcentral.com/community/mesa/articles/0119MR-delays19Z11.html
Daddee
I once was a slug.

PostPosted: 1/19/2006, 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

They've been working on it for the past couple of weekends - and let me tell you, it is a freaking nightmare.

If you are planning on coming out on Friday night, you won't have too much of a problem beyond the normal traffic out there, but if you're planning on coming out on Saturday let me make a few suggestions for your route:

If you are coming from the west side I recommend taking the 202 to Power and then going south to the 60 (or using Main or University to go east out to Idaho Rd/Route 8Cool

Or, if you must use the 60 get off the freeway at Stapley or Gilbert and use Baseline to get you down to Power Rd before you get back on. Southern is much slower than Baseline out that far (Superstition Springs Mall fouls up the traffic).

"...haven't you lived long enough to know that two men may honestly differ about a question and both be right?"
- Abraham Lincoln
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Campgrounds & Road Conditions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: