ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
GPS/Computer Interface problem
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Orienteering Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
ck1

PostPosted: 1/8/2006, 6:35 pm    Post subject: GPS/Computer Interface problem Reply to topic Reply with quote

OK, I've gotten a new computer, and it doesn't have as many com ports as the old...hence, my ETrex legend interface cable no longer works...so I picked up a new cable that converts the old cable to USB...here's the problem...the software on the computer asks which com port the GPS is connected to...it's connected to a USB port....but I can't make it understand....can anyone help?

"The Journey is the Destination"
gpsjoe

PostPosted: 1/8/2006, 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Even though your using a USB port, the USB to serial connector also connects to a com port.

If your a windows user you should be able to discover which com port it's using by clicking start, then settings, then control panel, then system, then selecting the hardware tab and click on device manager (edited 1/9) then scroll down and double click on ports and the com port used for your USB to serial adapter should be identified.
ck1

PostPosted: 1/8/2006, 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Joe, thanks!

I figured it out about a half hour ago, doing exactly what you said above...thanks for the advice!

outside1

PostPosted: 1/9/2006, 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Did you get things to work ?
IGO

PostPosted: 1/10/2006, 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I thought I knew something of compters.
I've got several digital mapping softwares. I use the Garmin GPS Map60CS but the DeLorme software is much better veiwing on my computer and I'd like to pre-determine routes from the Delorme software for upload to my Garmin GPS. I follow the path you mention above and Device Manager tells me the location is "0". I don't know COM Port 0. Delorme only gives me the option to choose COM Port 1 or 3. When I try to communicate with the Garmin from Delorme I get communications error messages. Do you have any idea what's going on here? I hike at Lake Mead and the 100,000 scale Garmin Software I purchased is seriously inadiquate for pre route planning. Lake Mead NRA is ALL cross country orienteering which I love to do.
Thank you in advance.
"Surely all God's people, however serious or savage, great or small, like to play. Whales and elephants, dancing, humming gnats, and invisibly small mischievous microbes - all are warm with divine radium and must have lots of fun in them." John Muir
outside1

PostPosted: 1/10/2006, 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Just bought the Delorme 5.0 (Shipped yesterday). I do not expect to be able to get data on to my Garmin GPS, but if anyone has any insight please share! I am hoping to use the software to at least visually log each of my hikes, but it would love to take the rout/map info on the hike.
gpsjoe

PostPosted: 1/10/2006, 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

IGO wrote:
Delorme only gives me the option to choose COM Port 1 or 3.

There is a service pack available on the Delorme website that adds support for Garmin USB devices. It's dated 5/2005. You may or may not already have this installed on your version.

Also you should follow the directions for "Initializing GPS" in the software's help section. Especially checking the box that says "Automatically Detect" under GPS tab/settings/options. Good luck with that.

outside1 wrote:
I do not expect to be able to get data on to my Garmin GPS

You cannot download maps to any GPS except with GPS maufacturers mapping software. However you will be able to download routes and waypoints from single waypoints or trail routes you build in Topo V5.0. You will have to experiment with Topo to do this. It's under the exchange menu and you can download "routes" or "route directions" which will download waypoints only along a route.

The unique feature of Delorme Topo 5.0 is auto-routing. The dashed lines on the maps are trails. With some difficuly since you must follow precise rules here, you can specify a start and finish point for a hike (and they can be the same or different) and also specify a couple of "via" points to force the hike through those specific points and the software will automatically fill in the rest of the path along the trails on the map. Amazing and unique in the Delorme software. Makes me wish all other mapping software had this feature but NO ONE ELSE DOES!!! Booooo!

You can also build your own trails on the maps (based on your own drawings or downloaded track files) and auto-route on these. Also amazing. None of this will be done without difficulty and following precise rules.
Daddee
I once was a slug.

PostPosted: 1/10/2006, 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm kind of in the same boat as CK1 - I have to use a Serial/USB adapter to get my Garmin connected to my laptop.

My problem now is that NOTHING works to get it to communicate with anything. My computer simply refuses to recognize that there is any hardware attached to the USB port.

I've downloaded and installed the Garmin USB drivers, I've pointed my computer at them, I've tried it as a COM, USB, and everything in between. Nothing. It shows up as new hardware, but then it all goes to hell. Very ugly.

It's starting to piss me off.

The USB adapter I bought is something I paid $14 for - and there are much bulkier cables available for upwards of $40 - but I just can't convince myself that it's the cable's fault.

"...haven't you lived long enough to know that two men may honestly differ about a question and both be right?"
- Abraham Lincoln
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 1/10/2006, 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Jared,

If you use an adapter to plug that Garmin to USB, don't even bother with the Garmin USB drivers, or even point the software to USB. It ain't going to work.

The adapter you have must use a driver set to create a virtual COM port in Windows. Usually COM 3 or 4 if it isn't already represented in XP. Did the adapter come with a driver disk, and is it documented to work with XP? Windows will probably detect the adapter without the proper drivers as something it isn't, and try to set it up anyways. Look at the hardware device manager with it installed, and see if there is a yellow exclamation mark over the entry in the list.
ck1

PostPosted: 1/10/2006, 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

outside1 wrote:
Did you get things to work ?

It's working VERY well !!!

cakewalk

PostPosted: 1/10/2006, 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

How do you like your etrex legend?

Do you find your screen going blank from time to time?
Thats the only complaint I have, Its like its looses signal for about 1 second at a time.... Not very often however....

Mine is pretty accurate and reliable..
Daddee
I once was a slug.

PostPosted: 1/10/2006, 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Well - there you have it.

No installation disk present - so, back to the store to find one that does have the software.

Lousy Fry's. Every time I go there I wonder why I keep coming back.

I just figured that since there wasn't any software, it didn't need any. The package didn't look like it had been opened prior to purchase - but I guess I was wrong.

"...haven't you lived long enough to know that two men may honestly differ about a question and both be right?"
- Abraham Lincoln
IGO

PostPosted: 1/10/2006, 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

outside1 wrote:
Just bought the Delorme 5.0 (Shipped yesterday). I do not expect to be able to get data on to my Garmin GPS, but if anyone has any insight please share! I am hoping to use the software to at least visually log each of my hikes, but it would love to take the rout/map info on the hike.

You might find this interesting. http://thirdrockfrom.org/topos.htm . I did this just a couple weeks ago. I like Delorme 10 to 1 over anything else I've seen in digital topos; mostly for the 1'24,000 scale EVERYPLACE but a close second is the visual apeal of the graffics.
"Surely all God's people, however serious or savage, great or small, like to play. Whales and elephants, dancing, humming gnats, and invisibly small mischievous microbes - all are warm with divine radium and must have lots of fun in them." John Muir
IGO

PostPosted: 1/10/2006, 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thank you very much sir. The GPS is really becoming a fascinating part of my trekking experiences.....but I still never use it for route finding.
ck1

PostPosted: 1/10/2006, 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Jared, the one I'm using cost about $38. It was a bite to pay for, but it does work...for the first time I've been able to load maps onto the GPS unit (finally broke down and "borrowed") the software....so I'm pretty happy right now...

With the exception that for the past 3 years we've traveled across the country, and I've had the GPS "track" on, so when I imported the data from the GPS, there were something like 20000+ trackpoints....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Orienteering All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: