ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Good water in LaBarge creek?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Campgrounds & Road Conditions Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeInFHAZ

PostPosted: 12/20/2005, 7:37 pm    Post subject: Good water in LaBarge creek? Reply to topic Reply with quote

looking for info about water in LaBarge creek, near the box. Anyone been lately?

what i do
Arizonaheat
Got Supes Juice?

PostPosted: 12/20/2005, 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

If you go into Lower LaBarge Box you will find perennial water that is very pumpable.
chihiggs

PostPosted: 12/21/2005, 8:18 am    Post subject: water Reply to topic Reply with quote

I was in the box portion Saturday (12-17). I'll back-up Heat's statement. One of the pools was even deep enough for a polar bear swim Yep, it's a swimmer! (not by me though....)
MikeInFHAZ

PostPosted: 12/21/2005, 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

sweet!
I noticed there are minnows in the pools, had to be permanent.
We should be heading up there near the first of the year.
What a great backpack to start a new year!

what i do
JW
I'll make rain with my spaceman powers!

PostPosted: 12/21/2005, 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

The water in there always seems to be good and better tasting than some supes wa-wa. Though I haven't overnighted, the solitude in the box, is worth the trek and a special place.

Since my house burned down, I now own a better view of the rising moon. - Masahide.
Arizonaheat
Got Supes Juice?

PostPosted: 12/21/2005, 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

here is a photo of some of the minnows. how they get all the way up there is a mystery for sure.

JW

PostPosted: 12/21/2005, 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Four-five weeks ago I was in those canyons with a friend, and we saw about 8,000 frogs, some getting it on in every pool.

The frogs have the ability to come out of hibernation whenever there's a pool. They deposit eggs, and then tunnel back into the soil until the next year or two, when they again get the urge? They can hibernate for a few years at a time (I wonder if they dream?).

The fish (I think an endangered species), probably produce their eggs which dry into a protective membrane (like a zip-lock), and then the parents expire. A couple percent probably are sufficiently buried in the sand/mud that when the temps are right they say "let's go"!

These canyons and the deserts are a place of "young" (both flora and fauna) specially adapted species, that are especially unique on the planet.

It's really cool to see them in their habitat!

Since my house burned down, I now own a better view of the rising moon. - Masahide.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 1/8/2006, 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yeah, fish that live underground. We've all heard of the great sand trout fishing in the Rillito, in Tucson. We tell all the tourists about it.
JW

PostPosted: 1/8/2006, 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

azbackpackr wrote:
Yeah, fish that live underground. We've all heard of the great sand trout fishing in the Rillito, in Tucson. We tell all the tourists about it.
You guessed that I used to live in Tucson Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Campgrounds & Road Conditions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: