ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
A Sense of Yuma

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 1/6/2006, 12:46 pm    Post subject: A Sense of Yuma Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yuma? YUCK!! At least that's what most folks from just about anywhere else say when I tell them I'm going down there. Actually, I'm there right now.

I just rode my bike from Fortuna Blvd. to the east along the north freeway frontage road to the Gila Mtns. There is a trail where the north frontage rd. deadends that goes to the top of the mtn range, where there is the usual cluster of microwave towers and the like. I bucked a good headwind the whole way on the road, so I didn't feel much like riding up the steep dirt road toward the ridge. Instead I found some flatter ATV trails (thankfully, the ATVers sleep later than I do, so there were none around) and rode partway back on these. Lots of fun--not too much sand, some good "rock gardens" which I always think are sort of fun.

On previous trips here have ridden on an easy bike path along the Colorado River. There is also a mtn. bike trail in the Laguna Mtns off Hwy 95, but I haven't done that one yet. There are plenty of places to ride, but the streets on the east side where I'm staying this year are not fun--too much traffic and no bike lanes. Gotta watch out for those motor homes! Hate to think the last words I would hear in this life would be "Look out Fred, there's a bike rider!" "Eh, what did you say, Mildred?"

The best thing about Yuma is the river. In the summer you can swim in it. You can canoe down it from Blythe to Imperial Dam. You can motor boat up it if you have a strong enough motor. You can watch birds, catch fish, or just sit and watch it go by.

Another neat thing are all the little mtn. ranges you can hike in. They're very rugged and don't get a lot of hikers. More on that tomorrow, if I get the chance, I'm going up into the Gila Mtns.

Another neat thing are all the different farms. They grow citrus and veggies and peanuts, and you can get all kinds of honey and dates, too.

If you want to take a family member who doesn't do outdoor sports on a fun trip, forget the train rides. Take them on Yuma River Tours jetboat ride up the Colorado, through the Imperial National Wildlife Refuge. We did this last year, and my husband, who is disabled, had a blast, and so did I. They feed you lunch and they stop several times so you can get out and hike around for a little while. We went in February, and there had been sufficient rain so there were many wildflowers. Weather was perfect, too, warm but not hot, as it is today.
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 1/6/2006, 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Good information, I've never gotten beyond the first sentence, Yuma? Yuck. Have to change my preconceived notions.
BoyNhisDog
The dangerous place where the winds meet

PostPosted: 1/6/2006, 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

My kind of thinking azbackpack. To go where most don't is to find some very interesting things. I have swam in the river near Blythe after walking out to it. Good water. How far are the sand dunes from you? I like sand dunes.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 1/6/2006, 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I think mostly the sand dunes are across in Calif and also there are some south of town, but that area is really trashy. There are also probably some in the bombing range, but haven't been there yet. You can go in there--get permit at Gila Bend entrance station, take 4WD high clearance vehicle, I'm told. Ed Abbey is buried somewhere down there, Cabeza Prieta, I think.

Problem with a lot of the sand dunes is they are given over to the noisome motorheads. Not my cuppa tea. Maybe there are some protected dunes, you'd have to ask around.
RedRoxx44
Queen of the Walkabout

PostPosted: 1/6/2006, 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

My friend Jerry and Debbie have a place outside of Yuma near the Colorado. Been there a few times. Good trips are to the Red Eye Mine, the Trigo Mtns, the western end of the El Camino Del Diablo, The Kofa Refuge.
On tap, the climb to the top of Castle Dome. Gotta give Jerry a call.

Need to find my picture of my Jeep parked next to a tank on the Barry Goldwater range. Looks pretty small.
Neat area.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: