ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
lightweight sleeping pads
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daryl

PostPosted: 4/25/2003, 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I've slept in a space blanket before without a ground pad. They work surprisingly well at keeping you warm. Wearing a t-shirt and pants I was warm all night when it was in the mid to low 60s.

Anyone ever use those $1.99 inflateable pool toy things as a camp bed? It packs lighter and smaller then anything mentioned here (a little bigger then a rain poncho) and as is very comfy (3 inches of cushion). Downfalls are they are unreliable and take forever to inflate/deflate. I thought about it, but it's a lot of work to fill one of those when you don't have a pump handy...

I use the thermarest 3/4 ultra light because I don't like the bulky rolls.

PostPosted: 4/25/2003, 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I have used the inflatable "pool toy" as a camp bed before, Yes they do take a while to inflate, Crazy but somehow mysteriously the air escaped during the night and I found myself back on the hard ground Crying or Very sad That was the first nite of a 2 niter backpack trip. Wacko
J&S

PostPosted: 4/25/2003, 8:16 pm    Post subject: Thermarests Rule Reply to topic Reply with quote

We've been using a Thermarest since March 1980. They honor their guarantee. They are great. On those rare times these days when we are backpacking, we take just the Thermarest. When we are car camping, we put a blue foam pad under the thermarest. We've used river runner "jacks pads" (aka paco pads) but they aren't worth it unless you are trying to duplicate a suburban bedroom in the sticks.
We were driving back on I-40 from WIlliams last week and a tell-tale color caught my eye alongside the road. I veered to a stop and said to Susun, go back and get THAT! She said, What's THAT?" I said, you will know it when you see it. She dutifully piled out of the SUzuki and headed back on the road and you could see her pace quicken when she realized her "quarry:" a nice new 3/4 length Thermarest that had blown off somebody's rig. Hadn't been run over--great shape. My kinda road kill!

j
maryphyl
Grand Canyon Enchantress

PostPosted: 5/14/2003, 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

We own a mess of thermarests mostly because eventually you get a leak you can not find and fix. I know they have a lifetime warranty--has anyone ever sent an old one in to be fixed?
k9hiker

PostPosted: 6/2/2003, 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hey was that T-rest you found red? if so it's mine! Just kidding!
Good find, those puppies are spensive.

I'm looking into the Big Agnes sleep system now since I've started hammocking instead of tenting. The BA is a sleeping bag with a sleeve built in for the pad so you can't slip off it. They are fairly pricey too, but it might be worth it. Anyone have experience with this?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: