ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Novara Bikes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: 5/16/2003, 8:24 am    Post subject: Novara Bikes Reply to topic Reply with quote

My beloved, irreplacable Scott mountain bike has been stolen. Crying or Very sad Since this isn't something I planned for I am in need of a resonably priced mountain bike. I was wondering if anyone knows anything about the Novara bikes REI sells. I was thinking with the 20% off for members right now I may be able to get a good deal. I don't seem to be able to find out anything on these bikes. Anyone?
CatValet
Got Gear?

PostPosted: 5/16/2003, 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Cindy: I was looking at the bikes there for Valet2, who also had a bike permanently borrowed... My friend Andy from North Carolina was here visiting and he is a serious, serious bike gearhead ( He Fed-Ex ships his bike to me each time he comes out, so he can shred the trails around Sedona). Of the "entry level" (less than $450) mountain bikes there, he thought that the K2 model had slightly better components than the Novara Piedra model with the same cost, and that it was a pretty good value. I'm not sure what he thought of the high end models, but if you have the wieght, type of frame material, and list of components, he can give you an opinion of price/quality. Feel free to email him with any questions and say I sent ya. He is drewbee@bellsouth.net -Randy

PostPosted: 5/16/2003, 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks Randy, I will be shopping around this weekend. Lots of bikes on sale since the 2004 come out next month. I will email him with my questions. I don't know alot about bikes. I got mine in Idaho many years ago and had most of the components changed out to what I wanted. Someone to give me input will help alot.
ck1

PostPosted: 5/19/2003, 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Cindy -

I'd go with the K2 as well...though the Novara bikes have been around for awhile, K2 is a brand name that has a quality reputation. I've owned a k2 and was very pleased with it....though it was stolen as well.

Some things to ask yourself...

Do you want full suspension, front suspension, or no suspension?
If you plan to ride trails, I'd at least get front suspension, also known as a hardtail. Full suspension rigs cost more, but have a higher comfort level..however there are pros and cons for both types...

Look for components...specifically shifters, front and rear derailleurs, front/rear hubs, crankset, etc...you want them to match (brands)...Shimano is the industry leader. There are several levels of Shimano components from Deore (good) to Deore LX and Deore XT (better) and finally XTR(best)...Sram is another company producing components, their levels go from 5.0 to 9.0sl, with the higher number being better quality...by matching I mean that the the shifters, front and rear derailleurs should be the same brand...otherwise they have a harder time "talking" to each other...

REI also carries Marin, which is an excellent bike builder as well.

I'd suggest checking prices at REI, making sure to get an idea of the compents, and compare to a place like Supergo (tons of bikes) or Landis (best service in the state)...you might be surprised at the deals you can find.

Let me know if you have specific questions...

"The Journey is the Destination"

PostPosted: 5/20/2003, 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks for the info Colin. I looked at lots of bikes this weekend and still can't make up my mind. I want a bike ASAP but don't have the funds to buy a bike comparable to what I had. I was thinking of buying a good quality entry level bike so I would have one for now and passing it on to my 14 year old when I can afford one that is equal to what I had. Whoever 'borrowed' my bike got a real nice one. Unfortuantely it probably got dumped in an alley somewhere. Is SRAM made by the same company as Rock Shox?
ck1

PostPosted: 5/20/2003, 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Cindy wrote:
Is SRAM made by the same company as Rock Shox?

Yes, they are the same...http://www.sram.com/flash.html

Perhaps you might consider an alternative method for finding a bike...few suggestions...
1. check the bulletin boards are REI and various bike shops...usually some good deals.
2. check out a few pawn shops, especially in the chandler area...I missed out an a sweet tri bike at one pawn shop.. they were asking $300...the Look pedals were worth at least $300 alone
3. try the ASU property "shop", I'm not sure of the actual name, but it's right off the 101 at Rio Salado, it's on the east side of the highway, it's open during the week, and they sell off surplus...including bikes that have been "found" and never claimed...sometimes you can see the bikes lined up...with school ending this might be a good time to check it out.
4. do a bit of garage sale sailing on early Sat. morning...
5. search online for a few of the local bike club websites, such as http://azbikeclub.r.m6.net/index.htm sometimes they have classified sections...

"The Journey is the Destination"
mike t

PostPosted: 5/20/2003, 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

also consider e-bay
Nighthiker

PostPosted: 5/21/2003, 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I have only been riding the past year off pavement and I am very pleased with my Giant Yukon (hardtail). I had a bike stolen in 1977 and recovered stripped in 78. I visit several thirft stores and found bikes for parts and my 74 Schwinn is restored to original and riding condition.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: