ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Monkeywrench/misc

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
JW
I'll make rain with my spaceman powers!

PostPosted: 11/16/2005, 5:48 pm    Post subject: Monkeywrench/misc Reply to topic Reply with quote

Having too much time on my hands before my next canyon hikes, and Rincon backpacks, I've been doing some research on the Green and the related areas that I want to get to and scribble about.

Below is a link to an older essay from Ken Sleight. Some may not have previously seen it. Those of us who are pro-or-con Abbey fans, will appreciate Ken's insight into the Ed Abbey persona. It's worth reading.

http://www.canyoncountryzephyr.com/archives/abbey-me.html

Since my house burned down, I now own a better view of the rising moon. - Masahide.
BoyNhisDog
The dangerous place where the winds meet

PostPosted: 11/16/2005, 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Cool story. I read TMWG twice decades ago.
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 11/16/2005, 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I read TMWG every few years. I think it should be required for anyone involved in public land managment. Besides, its a hoot. My brother and I used to "cast" the movie version.
IGO

PostPosted: 11/16/2005, 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I read the Monkey Wrech Gang many years ago. Still, I enjoyed hiking out of a boat on Lake Powell years after that. It's so weird, after being away all those years I visited Hite in 2002 and did a photo essay of the area focusing on the water leverl drops. From the bluffs well over the ghosted marina I couldn't help but feel how much better the upper reaches of Powell looked and I wondered what king of rains it would take to wash the silt tables away. It's funny how veiws change over the years. I remember think about how those silt bars were going to change the dam at Glenn Canyon into a waterfall one day. Even though I read the Monkey Wrench Gang in High School, I didn't fully appreciate what it was about. Today, I'd love to have that country back and I may do some hiking in there this summer before we fill it up again.
I just bought Desert Solitare and plan to read it during the long nights in the canyon over the Christmas Holidays.
I love Abbey. Don't you think he would just flip?

"Surely all God's people, however serious or savage, great or small, like to play. Whales and elephants, dancing, humming gnats, and invisibly small mischievous microbes - all are warm with divine radium and must have lots of fun in them." John Muir
PageRob

PostPosted: 11/16/2005, 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

An interesting book that I've run across up here is, "Glen Canyon Dammed; Lake Powell and the Invention of the Canyon Country." A sharp writer. I guess its probably pro-Lake, but not entirely, and not wholeheartedly, I'd say. A good read, I think.
Goes without saying that TMWG is an excellent and highly entertaining book.
IGO

PostPosted: 11/17/2005, 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I expect a dry Glenn Canyon wouldn't do much for the local economy would it?
"Surely all God's people, however serious or savage, great or small, like to play. Whales and elephants, dancing, humming gnats, and invisibly small mischievous microbes - all are warm with divine radium and must have lots of fun in them." John Muir
PageRob

PostPosted: 11/17/2005, 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Some folks say that rafting in Glen Canyon wouldn't help Page because the rafters would just drift by and pull out at Lee's. That's only true if the dam is removed. Otherwise they'd have to pull out at Wahweap Creek or the old Kane Creek ramp, and head directly to Page or Bigwater.
JW
I'll make rain with my spaceman powers!

PostPosted: 11/17/2005, 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

IGO wrote:
I just bought Desert Solitare and plan to read it during the long nights in the canyon over the Christmas Holidays.
"Solitaire" is worth re-visiting again and again! And yes, I think Ed continues to inspire and rotate. His relevance continues.

Since my house burned down, I now own a better view of the rising moon. - Masahide.
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 11/17/2005, 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

JW wrote:
IGO wrote:
"Solitaire" is worth re-visiting again and again! And yes, I think Ed continues to inspire and rotate. His relevance continues.

Desert Solitaire is one of my favorite reads! His insightful observations are so right on the money. The entire book is awesome but Moon Eyed Horse is the best (in my opinion).

Mr. Green

"Eastward the dawn rose, ridge behind ridge into the morning, and vanished out of eyesight into guess; it was no more than a glimmer blending with the hem of the sky, but it spoke to them, out of the memory and old tales, of the high and distant mountains." � J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of The Rings.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: