ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Upcoming Events For Late 2005, Early 2006
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> ** Announcements ** Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
GTG
Was lost but now am found

PostPosted: 10/15/2005, 12:40 pm    Post subject: Upcoming Events For Late 2005, Early 2006 Reply to topic Reply with quote

Allright all y'all organizers let's get the upcoming events posted and on the calendar so we can all start making plans for the rest of this year and early next. Get 'em up on the calendar before I do it. And we all know how nuts things will get if I start organizing things. Shocked Goat Rolling Eyes

Doug - Quartz Peak/Christmas Shindig
Spaceman/HIG - Ridgeline
Who wants to start with next year's group hikes?
I'll start January with a Canyon Lake to Peralta day hike unles y'all have a better idea.

GTG
roger

PostPosted: 10/25/2005, 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

GTG/Hooli,

Any thoughts on the 3rd annual anniversary shindig ????

roger
desertgirl

PostPosted: 10/25/2005, 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

How bout something a bit different - How about a lecture series ? If there is enough interest in topics - I can co-ordinate. We could solicit topics and qualified (within our community -AZH! - Guest could always be an option ) instructors ...

Some of the ones I have interest in hearing about

- Lightweight - Smart weight Backpacking
- Grand Canyon Geology
- Wilderness /Backcountry First Aid / Survival etc
- Trip Planning - Hike Leader's perspective; Participant's Perspectives
- Map reading and compass skills
- GPS skills
- Practical Climbing Skills - a supplemental to hiking
- Desert Hiking -- Planning for summer and winters.

We could find locations to host -- may be alternate between East valley & west Valley ...etc

One more thing -- How about a community project as part of the GHOTM agenda ...Not sure where and when or what it takes...
kurthzone
Thread Killer

PostPosted: 10/26/2005, 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Upcoming Events For Late 2005, Early 2006 Reply to topic Reply with quote

GTG wrote:

...I'll start January with a Canyon Lake to Peralta day hike unles y'all have a better idea.

GTG

I will second that hike for January. Ok
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 10/26/2005, 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Canyon Lake to Peralta sounds good to me as well.
JW
I'll make rain with my spaceman powers!

PostPosted: 10/26/2005, 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Davis2001R6 wrote:
That's approximately 17 miles, no? And, there's some scenery out there.

As an alternate, it's possible to put together a couple other nearby routes, that make it closer to 19 miles with some equally dramatic and scenic expanses.

Since my house burned down, I now own a better view of the rising moon. - Masahide.
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 10/26/2005, 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

JW wrote:
Davis2001R6 wrote:

As an alternate, it's possible to put together a couple other nearby routes, that make it closer to 19 miles with some equally dramatic and scenic expanses.

It's about 15.8, or something like that. Plenty for me, but what did you have in mind? You get to see quite a bit along that route as it is. Remember, it's just a day hike.
JW
I'll make rain with my spaceman powers!

PostPosted: 10/26/2005, 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

HikerInGilbert wrote:
JW wrote:
Davis2001R6 wrote:

It's about 15.8, or something like that. Plenty for me, but what did you have in mind? You get to see quite a bit along that route as it is. Remember, it's just a day hike.
How long is your day, dude? East of Battleship over the saddle to Cavalry, is a significant off-trail workout. From there through Marsh valley to dutchman's and then back to Peralta via Miners Summit should clock about 19. But I'll do whatever the group is into Smile. JW.

Since my house burned down, I now own a better view of the rising moon. - Masahide.
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 10/26/2005, 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Canyon Lake to Peralta, what day?

And will that be in the morning or afternoon? Very Happy
paintninaz

PostPosted: 10/26/2005, 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

JW wrote:
East of Battleship over the saddle to Cavalry, is a significant off-trail workout. From there through Marsh valley to dutchman's and then back to Peralta via Miners Summit should clock about 19. But I'll do whatever the group is into Smile. JW.

JW, your alternate plans sound to me like they require backpacking equipment! Wink I figure, if you're saying it's 19, you're gonna go at least 25, maybe even 30! Chuckle

Canyon Lake to Peralta sounds good to me! Ok

and Hooli's Sweet and Loveable!

“Friends make the bad times good — and the good times unforgettable.”
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 10/27/2005, 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Haven't we done Canyon Lake to Peralta as a day hike? It is doable. I'm up to it.
I do like the idea of a lecture series as well and Ambika your list looks great to me!
I wouldn't mind something down in theTucson area either....

I want to shine!
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 10/27/2005, 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hikngrl wrote:
Haven't we done Canyon Lake to Peralta as a day hike? It is doable. I'm up to it.....

We've done it a few times. Remember the 105 deg death march? How could you forget that one?

Don't know about stretching it any longer than it already is though. I think JW is delusional.
desertgirl

PostPosted: 10/27/2005, 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hikngrl wrote:
I wouldn't mind something down in theTucson area either....

How about Finger Rock Canyon - 10 miles RT - Elev 3100 - 7255ft -- Its a workout for sure

A more friendly option ( More conducive to GHOTM) - Green Mountain ( need to nake sure the whole trail is open and is not closed due to fires etc) - 7.8 miles RT Elev - 7300 - 6000ft. You can make this a shuttle hike 3.8 miles long - Campground at one end - General Hitchcock Campground.
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 10/27/2005, 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I've done the finger rock thing and thought it was gonna kill me! I may be able to do it better now that I have a little more hiking under my belt and am in better shape! It was a beautiful place to go! Loved the scenery at the end of the trail!

I want to shine!
paintninaz

PostPosted: 11/10/2005, 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: Upcoming Events For Late 2005, Early 2006 Reply to topic Reply with quote

GTG wrote:
I'll start January with a Canyon Lake to Peralta day hike
GTG

Any idea what weekend this will be? I NEED to put a hike on my 2006 Calendar!! Hiking

“Friends make the bad times good — and the good times unforgettable.”
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> ** Announcements ** All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: